Figuring out my lighting

charbara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10gal Fluval starter tank that I’ve used in my office for freshwater for many years now.

I want to try my hand in saltwater so I’ve been cycling this tank now for almost 2 weeks.

As I’m consuming all this new info on saltwater, specifically corals that I now want, I wanted to track down what kind of lighting I have going.

The light has 10 white leds and 4 blue leds. With a switch that can turn all 14 leds on or just the 4 blues.

I’m not too keen on investing too much money into this tank because if I enjoy this hobby on the small tank I’ll start up my 120gal and will move everything over. This tank is more of trial period.

I’m no expert on lighting in general, but maybe someone has had a nano like this before? Would the lighting keep the corals healthy?

OP
OP
charbara

charbara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add some details on the light itself.

I’ve seen not much indication on the model number to be able to find it online but here’s the couple values I see on the light itself:

5.1W

Not much more to go off of. On other hand my freshwater plants were healthy under these lights. Not sure if that helps.

IMG_0207.jpeg

OP
OP
charbara

charbara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to bump this thread.

Are regular LEDs or blue LEDs the same from other lights? Are the fancy reef lights using specific type of white & blue LEDs?

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think your 5w light will do it, but you don't need a $250 kessil or AI prime. There are options out there but mounting may be the main issue. Nicrew and Hygger make decent budget lighting. If your going with corals, I would recommend Nicrew Hyper reef 30w led light ($75) It comes with the mount but not sure how it would look or work on the tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back