Beat up Tang

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Black Tang that was severely beat up by my sohal tang. I removed it from my DT and medicated it with erythromycin.
Surprisingly it is still alive, its always breathing and flapping its fin, and occasionally rights itself for a few seconds when it has a burst of energy and starts swimming. On its left side its fin is ripped to shreds but can see he still tries to move it. Although it is laying on its side most of the time, It does occassionally try to swim. It's been 3 days and it seems to be trying to recover, I'm changing water in the bucket daily and really would like to see if it can fully recover but am prepared to euthanize it if I notice it no longer has the energy. So I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do to help it try to stay alive. Also if there is a source for MS-222 that doesn't cost a arm and leg. Thanks

QUNiMmm.jpg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it eating at all? Any chance you have a qt tank you could set up with some water movement/agitation and cycled media from your display?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a Black Tang that was severely beat up by my sohal tang. I removed it from my DT and medicated it with erythromycin.
Surprisingly it is still alive, its always breathing and flapping its fin, and occasionally rights itself for a few seconds when it has a burst of energy and starts swimming. On its left side its fin is ripped to shreds but can see he still tries to move it. Although it is laying on its side most of the time, It does occassionally try to swim. It's been 3 days and it seems to be trying to recover, I'm changing water in the bucket daily and really would like to see if it can fully recover but am prepared to euthanize it if I notice it no longer has the energy. So I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do to help it try to stay alive. Also if there is a source for MS-222 that doesn't cost a arm and leg. Thanks

QUNiMmm.jpg

Hate tio say but this fish is so attacked/beat up that it may now be moribund in which it may not eat or swim normal moving forward. In this state of health, there is often no medication that can be recommended to build it back up. Its best chance will be a separate tank with an air stone added for additional oxygen but best I can say is hope for the best but expect the worse.
Have I seen fish recover from this point, yes but rarely
What other occupants are in the tank with it?

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate tio say but this fish is so attacked/beat up that it may now be moribund in which it may not eat or swim normal moving forward. In this state of health, there is often no medication that can be recommended to build it back up. Its best chance will be a separate tank with an air stone added for additional oxygen but best I can say is hope for the best but expect the worse.
I have a Black Tang that was severely beat up by my sohal tang

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

QUNiMmm.jpg

Holding it in a bucket will just add to the stress. Any chance of rigging up an in-tank isolation? I’ve used plastic colanders for that.

If you decide to go that route, here is an article on euthanasia:

OP
OP
lakai

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Its in a 20 gallon by itself now. It isn't mobile enough to catch any food so i've been feeding mysis to it with a pair of tongs and seems to want to eat although still lacks the energy. I've been leaving it alone most of the day, change the water and it still seems to want to try and live, I don't think its paralyzed or anything but I am realistic and don't expect it to survive.

OP
OP
lakai

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holding it in a bucket will just add to the stress. Any chance of rigging up an in-tank isolation? I’ve used plastic colanders for that.

If you decide to go that route, here is an article on euthanasia:

I'll give that a try, thank you

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Its very unfortunate. Did you identify who the aggressor is/was?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 180 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back