Before vs. After Ugly Stage! pretty proud of how it turned out.

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I just wanted to share my tank before and after the ugly stage. The algae dissolved after 6 months and I'm very proud of how it turned out. I'll be shopping for corals tomorrow.

Before:
image.jpg

After:

IMG_6518 (1).jpg

BrotatoSalad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love seeing these kinds of posts! Gives folks starting out their first reef a light at the end of the tunnel. What's the shortlist on first corals going in?

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! It always helps other newbies to see the progression and to get a sense of the timeline so they don't get discouraged which can easily happen when you keep seeing all the beautiful tanks. Healthy reef tanks don't happen overnight. :)

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome work! There may be some ups and downs ahead, as you add corals and feed them etc but you’re on the right path now. Only just starting to get over my uglies too at 11 months

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I would suggest getting something to seed corraline algae. Either from a bottle or scrapings from another person's tank your trust to be pest free.

The look of your rock shows its definitely mature enough to grow it, so you must just not have any spores to start the process.

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I would suggest getting something to seed corraline algae. Either from a bottle or scrapings from another person's tank your trust to be pest free.

The look of your rock shows its definitely mature enough to grow it, so you must just not have any spores to start the process.
I'm starting to see some purple on the powerhead, it is kinda circular and tough. I think it;s corraline.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome job so far! Hopefully that purple is coralline. I read on here recently that coralline likes to start on plastics such as powerheads, circulation pumps, overflows, etc first.

I can't wait to see the new corals. Keep us posted.

Airwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a biocube! My tank is about 3 months in, added a few corals. Looks a lot like your first picture, have a bit of hair algae in spots, diatoms and some cyano that doesn't seem to be increasing to much.

Care to share any of your routines and what you attribute the success to?

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a biocube! My tank is about 3 months in, added a few corals. Looks a lot like your first picture, have a bit of hair algae in spots, diatoms and some cyano that doesn't seem to be increasing to much.

Care to share any of your routines and what you attribute the success to?
Weekly 20% water change. I had really really really bad cyano a few weeks after the GHA cleared up on mine.

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome job so far! Hopefully that purple is coralline. I read on here recently that coralline likes to start on plastics such as powerheads, circulation pumps, overflows, etc first.

I can't wait to see the new corals. Keep us posted.
4BCBDB52-AC99-4867-85DC-E90466453291.jpeg

This looks like corraline, wouldn’t you say?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 167 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back