Berghia Nudi's to the Rescue

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to start a thread to document my plan to attack and hopefully eradicate the aptasisa outbreak in my seahorse tank. I think there are basically three approaches to take: 1) use some chemical like Aptasia-X to get rid of them, or use a "natural" approach such as Aptasia eating Filefish or Berghia Nudi's. I've attempted approach #1 for a while and I'm loosing the battle. I also don't like the risk of the chemical damaging any of my corals and I know I've seen my fish try to eat the participate in the water column. I figure none of that is good and from what I've read the chemical approach could have made the issue worse by having the anemone spread spores as a result of my trying to zap it.

So I've been reading about the Filefish and was about to pull the plug and by an ORA one, when I hopped onto @REEF2REEF and read others posts about them. They certainly seem to work but a) they also might eat coral polyps and as my tank is all softies and gorgs and a few Acan's (just what they might eat) I didn't want to risk it, and b) they might not work, and c) well they aren't exactly the most attractive fish. But I think a natural approach is always the best and luckily I read about the Berghia Nudi's on one of the posts. I had actually read about them a long time ago but had forgotten they only eat aptasia. So this post is going to document how well (or not) they work.

First things first I had to find them. I did a search and only found two places that sold them. I went with reeftown.com mainly because they were a little cheaper then elsewhere. But this is an expensive fix (if it works). I have a 50 gallon tank and bought 8 of them, + shipping its a little over $100. Now when you factor in the bottles of Aptasia-X, or the cost of a file fish and shipping, the $100 isn't an exorbitant amount.

They Berghia were shipped overnight and honestly I couldn't be more impressed, it would be nice if some online coral/fish dealers would pack and ship as well.

When the package arrived the Berghia are in a small container:

IMG_7784.JPG

You can see I received an extra free one and an egg case (actually there were two egg cases, which was nice).

The jar has a seal to prevent water getting out (I assume) but also I think to keep the Berghia from crawling up into the lid.
IMG_7789.JPG

The Berghia are kind of small but look like this in the jar:

IMG_7785.JPG

IMG_7786.JPG

Kind of cute looking, and I hope mean, nasty and deadly to my Aptasia.

Anyway, they are quite small and fragile so you can't put them in a container to acclimate them to your tank water - or I would have just used the drip method. The Nudi's come with a small pipette for blowing them around or sucking up the eggs, but I just used that to remove water from the jar and add tank water to the jar:

IMG_7790.JPG

I did this for about an hour, every 15 minutes taking out water and adding water from the tank. Then I removed most of the water and added the jar to the tank on a rock next to some Aptasia - per the instructions that come with them.

IMG_7791.JPG

It took a little over 1 hour but eventually they all crawled out of the jar. Since then they've disappeared but that seems normal. I may not see them again other than indirectly as the Aptasia disappear.

I also was able to place one egg case in a crevice in a rock next to an Aptasia (again as per the instructions) and will see if anything happens with that.

The plan is to have these start to breed and grow the colony and have the colony attack the Aptasia throughout the tank. I'll periodically update this thread with any observations I make to help anyone else thinking about taking this route with their tank.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, how I would love to add some Berghia to my tank. My Melanurus would make an expensive snack out of them. Last night I got rid of some with Aptasia X, but I know in a couple of weeks I will have to do it again.

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried nudibranchs. They all died after a couple of months and the aptasia is back. Those nudibranchs do have some predators so be careful when going that route. I'm going to give them another shot soon.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along.....but maybe not for long. Noticing @jd371 commented above about Melanurus. I have a Melanurus and wasn't aware that they'd eat nudi's. Is this a fact?

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I had a pretty bad aptasia outbreak in tank several months ago. I fought it for a while with aptasia-X and it seemed to work, but the aptasia also seemed to spread more the more I killed them.

So I put 5 large nudi's in my tank. After they all found homes in the rockwork, I never saw them for 3-4 weeks. And my aptasia wasn't disappearing at all (that I could tell). Well the next week it was like a light switch went off and all of a sudden I didn't see several aptasia that I remembered seeing before. And, I started seeing the nudi's on the glass of the tank at night/early morning. So for about the week or so, the aptasia kept disappearing until I could't see any anymore.

For the next couple of weeks I kept seeing the nudi's on the glass or crawling around the rocks (and the sump). I managed to catch a few of them and gave them away, but the rest I can only assume, died off with having nothing to eat. BUT, I can say that my tank is still aptasia free months later.

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done these aptasia nudi's twice and they worked once and didn't see any results the other time. The local fish store here where I live always has them in stock. They have baby one to adult ones. Neat little things to watch if u can ever find one in your tank after u release them. Good luck with em.

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine do well in my tank but I didn't order nearly enough for my 126g and the specific outbreak in my tank. They are nocturnal so there shouldn't be a problem really with fish preying upon them.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following! They have worked wonders for me!

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Melanurus or my pigmy hawk fish ate all 10 nudi's I had. I am currently trying to catch my hawk fish, to give him to a buddy. BC I caught him eating my cleaner shrimp, so bye Felicia!
I looked at the site to see how many I would need and the shipping cost and at $130 that could wind up being a pretty expensive snack for my Melanurus, not taking the chance. If I could find them locally I would probably give it a shot.

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to catch my Melanurus and put him in my sump for a little bit, so maybe the nudi's can have a chance to do their job. I just bought 2 large and 8 medium.

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be willing to get some from the local shop and trade for some sps frags or clams. Than you would just have to pay shipping to me and that's it. Let me know if anyone's interested.

psirex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful of wrasses and peppermint shrimp... But yes they work wonders.. Had them breeding\reproducing in my 120 for a long time (about 8 -12 months) once the aptasia disappeared they were gone within a few weeks.....

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had great luck with them in the past. Note, keep a rock with some aptasia on it in your sump or something so that when they clean your tank out you can lure them to that rock and export them from your tank to sell them to someone else with an aptasia problem. otherwise they just die in your tank. I have also found that the aptasia are crafty and can really hide in the rockwork. So even if you problem seems cleaned up, the Berghia die off, and then 3 months later an aptasia pops up and the cycle starts over. That's a good reason to have kept some berghia alive somewhere else :)

psirex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptasia X is luke it used to be, I remember back when I first started it would DISSOLVE aptasia now it only seems to tick it off.......

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used both. Your best bet is to zap all the really big ones with aiptasia-x and let the nudis get the small ones you can't see. That's their strength.

That being said, they ALWAYS seem to leave one or two which start to multiply. The last batch I bought only ate about 1/2 of what I had. I think my kole tang ate them. He said I had no proof.

DaKraKeN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just released 16 medium into my 600 gallon system. Within the first week I can spot over 10 egg swirls... Watch the bristle worms, they will eat the egg sacks...I literally have thousands of aptasia in my stock tanks and "predator" tanks. I'm also interested to see how the nudibranchs work out.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back