Berghia Nudi's to the Rescue

SROPE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had great luck 2 years ago with my 28 gallon tank. I bought 6 medium and had about 70ish apts. I took about 2 weeks to eradicate them and was able to catch 5 for a friend when done. They turn white when they have not eaten. Sort of a greyish when they do eat. 2 years and still no aptasia! I also didn't introduce any new coral in that time.

OP
OP
shornik

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really much of an update, but 2 days in and I still see the occasional Berghia on the rock they were first placed on, and maybe a few of the tiny aptasia gone. But it's going to be a slow methodical process. I'm just glad I still see them. Many have mentioned their livestock and why they couldn't use this approach and I neglected to in my original post. I have 2 seahorses, 6 cardinal fish (Ochre striped), a Yasha Goby, Clown Goby, and Rainfords Goby and a dragon face pipefish. So they are pretty peaceful and wouldn't go after the nudi's. The cardinal fish are little pigs however and did eat one of the two egg cases I was putting in the tank when it came out of the pipette. Anyway, if there's anything to report I will here..... Thanks for everyone's comments.

Magical Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it time. I won't use anything but the Berghia's for aiptasia. You're going to think that nothings happening and then a few months will go by and you'll realize that the aiptasia are all gone. It's not a fast process, but it's natural and seems to work better than any of the other treatments. I've tried aiptasia-x and zaptasia. They work great initially but after a few weeks it always seems like babies are sprouting where the larger ones were killed

DinoS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used aptasia x and it seems to make them multiply by the hundreds, I was told to use Kalkwasser, make a paste n apply like aptasia x and the siphone out after a few minutes. It took about 2 weeks and I'm finally aptasia free no multiplying just gone!!

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you have been over run with aiptasia, you'll never get rid of it. Nudi's will help temporarily.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two years and still no aptasia. I guess I don't agree with that statement.
How many times did you use berghia's? Once? I would find that really hard to believe.

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, about 4 months since I've seen an aiptasia. I think the berghia's ate every single one.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After my last coral frag, I added 6 nudi's to my 20 gallon. I thought it was the best thing ever. After a few weeks, not one aiptasia in sight. 8 months later, I found one and then two anemones. Now that tank is over run. I would suggest planning on multiple treatments with nudis.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just once. You just don't want to believe. You don't have to believe use your method it must be great.
Sweetheart I went the same route as you with no success. Please give us all your amazing method of eradication so I can share my success story.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must have done something wrong if it worked for me and others as well.
It's a hit or miss method. Point is, you may have to plan for another run of nudi's. I do think it's the best method but not 100%.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must have done something wrong if it worked for me and others as well.

Nudis are stupid. I don't mean that they're a bad idea - I mean that they're literally stupid. They would very much love to eat every aiptasia in your system, but they aren't always going to find every last tiny aiptasia before they starve to death. It's a matter of chance.

I've been battling aiptasia since almost day one of my tank. The only thing that has ever made any meaningful difference in the aiptasia population has been Berghia. But to claim that they're a magical fix-all that will remove all aiptasia from your tank automatically is ignorant. Assuming they don't become a snack, Berghia will work for everyone, but exactly how effective they'll be is up to chance - how well were they dispersed? How efficiently were they at eating aiptasia in the optimal order? Did they start breeding? Once aiptasia numbers became low, did the Berghia finish off the aiptasia before they starved? The exact details will vary based on any number of factors, some of which are thoroughly random.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Melanurus or my pigmy hawk fish ate all 10 nudi's I had. I am currently trying to catch my hawk fish, to give him to a buddy. BC I caught him eating my cleaner shrimp, so bye Felicia!
Bye Felicia! That stinks man. I'm at my wits end with these things. I'm selling off all my coral and about to tackle these little boogers head on! I'm ready to remove all my rock and let it dry out to kill these suckas.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, about 4 months since I've seen an aiptasia. I think the berghia's ate every single one.
I think I wanna try the nudi approach. For me, it's that or total tank breakdown.

Back