Best colour enhancing supplement?

Psiber_Syn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Salty1962 love the polyp detention on that styloc mine is just hairy lol can't see underneath the polyps what's your placement on that

I use fuel and reefroids/reefchili phyto/zooplankton and I feel I get pretty decent coloring

JasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone says fish poop, but nothing is better then getting the best nutritional foods for your fish to poop. Ive always stuck by my statement that fish food really does make a big difference, and ive always seen results good nd bad from switching my fish foods. Also potassium dosing is a good nutrient to keep in check for your corals

I never thought about the quality of food before for corals but I use mainly Hikari pellets and frozen food so I hope I'm covered.

What do use for potassium dosing and how do you test it? I have looking into this and it seems interesting. From my understanding it will help bring out reds and pinks. What is your experience with colors using it?

I came across this article, it's old but seems to hold its relevance.
https://reefbuilders.com/2008/09/03/guide-of-sps-coral-coloration-make-them-more-vivid-bright/

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I never thought about the quality of food before for corals but I use mainly Hikari pellets and frozen food so I hope I'm covered.

What do use for potassium dosing and how do you test it? I have looking into this and it seems interesting. From my understanding it will help bring out reds and pinks. What is your experience with colors using it?

I came across this article, it's old but seems to hold its relevance.
https://reefbuilders.com/2008/09/03/guide-of-sps-coral-coloration-make-them-more-vivid-bright/
Red sea claims blues purples, crazy justin credible claims pinks and reds. Honestly with my experience, ive seen improved floresants with corals when dosing potassiumchloride/sulfate mixture. I used both salifert and red sea test kits in the past and i have to say, red seas takes about 35 minutes to execute. Salifert is simple, BUT the US hasnt seen a salifert k test kit for over 6 months up untill this week. I stopped dosing k (use brightwell potassium dry mix) because of that reason but ill have my new salifert kits on friday

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the salifert easier than the Red Sea? The Red Sea is a science project to complete witch I feel I mess up every time doing it, lol

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Is the salifert easier than the Red Sea? The Red Sea is a science project to complete witch I feel I mess up every time doing it, lol
Yes, salifert takes about the same amount of time as their calcium test. Redseas a nightmare, takes me about 35 mins lol.

Rcfiftyone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of Red Sea, I have been dosing their "colors program" for 2 months without any noticeable improvement. Wondering if anyone out there has seen results?

justjes45

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank goodness!! I though Red Sea was awesome and shiny.... Makes me feel like an idiot. Hard to de code, don't know what to do with the results...

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of Red Sea, I have been dosing their "colors program" for 2 months without any noticeable improvement. Wondering if anyone out there has seen results?

The only thing that I have really noticed is in my monti' definitely better Heath in them, color and growth. I have always had good color though. I feel I get better color from the Reef Energy A & B. At least with the current tank I'm running.

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every reef is a bit different and will react differently with a particular product, so you'll get a wide range of answers. In my experience, I've had great success with really enhancing coloration and polyp extension with both Zeovit and Prodibio products, in various tanks over the years. Before incorporating these types of products into my regime, I always make sure my levels are stable, my lighting and flow are adequate, my nutrient export system is on point, etc.

Currently, I'm using the entire Prodibio Reef Biokit system (in addition to 2-part calc/alk dosing and weekly water changes) and since introducing this system (their Reefbooster product, most notably), coloration and polyp extension has improved.

Rcfiftyone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may not be a fair shake for the red sea colors program on my tank as I am learning that I may not have enough nitrates. They have been undetectable for some time now and PO4 is around .25-.5 . According to the Redfield Ratio nitrates should be greater than phosphates so this may be the underlying issue. Im taking my skimmer offline to try to bring nitrates to .5 . We'll see what happens

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone says fish poop, but nothing is better then getting the best nutritional foods for your fish to poop. Ive always stuck by my statement that fish food really does make a big difference, and ive always seen results good nd bad from switching my fish foods. Also potassium dosing is a good nutrient to keep in check for your corals
I am a big fan os fish poop myself and I agree the food you feed is key. I use LRS and that's about it. Played around with aminos a bit and did not see much, except when I overdosed it, causing dinos :(

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this puzzles me....

there are 2 sides of the fence i see with this.

those that (supposedly) have better coloration.

those that have cyano. (raises hand)

i wonder what the difference is between the yay's and nay's.

i will never use AA again personally. i wonder if it is a placebo effect? or does it really work?

if it does work. why dont i see anything but cyano?

please understand i am trying to be neutral regardless my experience.
Chris at WWC told me they use them and they work....

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sps.
First I would say tank stability and low on nutrient is key to achieve good coloration. Second is a good lightning. Third is a sophisticated/professional camera.

aereaus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris at WWC told me they use them and they work....
Aminos work better in lower nutrient more sophisticated systems. old school guys will encounter issues...imo if your no3 is over 5-10ppm you will see less benefit from feeding aminos/vitamins/carbs

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been keeping SPS for 12+yrs now. My thoughts for nice sps are mature your tank, which imo is a year and a half or two. Quality water, strong flow, strong skimmer, fuge, a med to heavy fish load. Quality spectrum is needed for your lighting and most importantly consistent alk and not to much of a calc swing. After you have done this you should be able to keep any sps you want. After this point if your not satisfied with your colors try different amino's, or change a salt, or try different essential elements....etc. Only use one at a time to see if it makes any changes. I have tried many different techniques and for the last 6mths i dosed acropower since it has such a following. My corals didn't really make any dramatic changes, nothing i could tell. About a month ago I started to dose KZ Flatworm Stop and KZ Coral Booster. I heard good things about this combo. Since changing over i can tell a huge difference in sps growth as well as color. I'm very surprised and pleased. This is the first supplement that I have ever used that I actually see a difference within a month. I know its working as its the only thing i have changed in my tank and the growth is crazy.

"But thats just like my opinion man"

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back