Best return pumps in the industry: Who gets your vote?

Best Return Pump in the Industry

• Abyzz

• Blueline

• Danner Mag Drive

• Dolphin / Poseidon

• Ecotech Vectra

• Eheim

• Fluval

• Iwaki

• Jebao / Jecod

• Neptune

• Pan World

• Red Dragon

• Reeflo

• Reef Octopus VarioS

• Sicce

• Simplicity

• Skimz

• Waterblaster

• Waveline

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't ever claim they are the best but I've been running a couple deepwater aquatics BLDC pumps and have been happy with them. One is on a freshwater system running 2+ years and one on my reef for 1+ years. The only issue I have with them is power flickers can confuse the controller and cause them to fail to restart so not a comfortable situation to go on vacation with. But a skimmer delay outlet fixed that problem.

On my nano I've been running sicce silents for a couple years without issue.

New tank has two rio pumps but haven't been in service long enough for me to have an idea if they are any good.

I will say that I will always do dual returns in the future as any brand can fail and awesome customer service is useless if you are a thousand miles away.

As an aside none of the aforementioned pumps have needed any sort of maintenance to date.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sicce syncra silent series

I agree. These are the best bang for the buck and will last the avg reef keepers entire length in the hobby. I don't know if that says more about the pump, or the turn over of the average hobbyist....

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do the Vectras have the most votes while being one of the newest pumps LOL?

Brand groupies. Earlier in this thread someone said Vectra S1. At the time it was said, the S1 was out for less than 3 months. ;Facepalm

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VECTRA-M1-1000x1000__39489.1516811030.650.650.jpg

abyzz-a100-water-pump.jpg

We are wanting to put a poll together for the BEST return pumps in the aquarium industry! Help us out by posting your favorite pump manufacturer. It would also be helpful if you tell us why!

Thanks.

@revhtree - You have the best two pumps in my opinion that one can run any any aquarium. I just wish the Abyzz return pumps were a little less expensive and more affordable, so I run 2 EcoTech Marine return pumps.
I clean my EcoTech Marine pumps every 3 or 4 months in the BRS Citric Acid that I buy and let them soak overnight.

U

User1

View Badges
I voted other. Here is why. There is no best because every use case is different and we are each deploying pumps differently. While I currently run Neptune Cor 15's for return and skimmer I've also used iwaki before and a slew of others with similar success. How do we all quantify best when we all have different standards?

If I was to recommend something and they said using a DC pump was preferred then I'd say look at Neptune if you have an Apex. Same ecosystem, built like a F150, reliable. I've owned them since they have been released to the market/public with zero issues. I compare that to a Jebao I originally planned to use has a return and the neck broke / cracked in less than 30 day. Comparing the two the Jebao's base unit is thin plastic like you would find holding a hostess cupcake compared to the Cor. However, all things being equal I know plenty that use that same Jebao with great success and it does move some water.

So back to my vote. Other :) I think there are some pretty reliable choices and some with a track history of poo but re-engineered and great warranty. In the end just up to us to figure out what we need, want to spend, and go from there.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brand groupies. Earlier in this thread someone said Vectra S1. At the time it was said, the S1 was out for less than 3 months. ;Facepalm

And I own a Vectra M1 and will be running it when I finish my build. Yet I voted for Eheim. I still have an Eheim 1260 from 1998 that still runs like a champ and will back up the Vectra if it goes on the fritz.

Seamore2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny - this thread is nearly two years old and still going.

I voted for Mag pumps for returns because I've been using them for so long - I've got one that has been in operation for over 20 years - first in a reef tank and for the past 15 years in my pond. For me they're highly reliable and low maintenance and shrug off extremes like huge temperature and salinity swings. OTOH, since they've been so reliable and long-lasting, I don't know much about newer return pumps since I've not had to buy any in a while.

I do remember I really really liked my Iwaki years ago, which was plumbed to a basement sump that returned to my display tank on the 1st floor of my house. That pump was a beast!

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, the pool pumps, lol ;) (just what I call them). But yes, external pumps without a doubt (strictly external) I think are the most reliable and built like tanks. TBH, I wasn't even putting externals in this category because, imo, they're in a category unto themselves. Most, if not all, are rated for super high head pressure, like a sump in the basement or a closed loop, right?

I say Mag Drives, but I was meaning internally. I didn't even know they could run externally. I know they are loud and create some heat if you're throttling it back, but they used to last a very long time when submerged. I haven't used one in over 10 years now though.

20 years ago those were the top of the line pumps, the one I couldn't come close to affording as a teenager. But they're still around and used for multiple purposes. Had to settle for Tetra or Marineland pumps back then, lol.

Eheim is another brand that I would say is extremely reliable. Though I've read that they changed something on their newer return pumps and have been having problems. Don't know if it's a wide spread thing, but their whole product line is usually top notch.

The thing is, once I switched to a DC pump, I could never go back to an AC pump. It's night and day. I like the fact that I don't have to restrict a pump, causing stress on it, plus with DC pumps, you're using only the electricity for the setting you're on. Whereas an AC pump uses a set amount of power. But good call on the pool pumps for reliability.

Makes me wonder if anyone has ever used an actual pool pump for their tank, lol.

Restricting a pump that is( pressure rated ) will not be stressed by restricting it's output. Not all external pumps are pressure rated. FYI-- That's All.:D:D:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Voted Abyzz.
I have set up about 6-7 of these for my clients. Unparalleled build quality. None of them have had any problems so far. Not to mention the 10 year warranty.
Super silent and they push a monsterous amount of water.

Realistically, however I would vote ecotech. Not everyone has thousands of dollars to spend just on their return pump. I run both the Vectra L1 and M1. I clean them every 6 months to keep them dead silent. I can hear the woosh of my skimmer over both of the pumps running full speed at the same time. The driver is sleek and aesthetically pleasing.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Mine dead silent. Pull impeller magnet and make sure no debris inside of housing. If vibrating, place on top of foam pad

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Call Sicce customer service or store where purchased for replacement

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back