Best time to dose live phyto

When is the best time to dose live phyto?

• Before light come on - let them absorb light and nutrient and multiply

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • After light goes off - let the corals feast!

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some Tommy's phyto coming in. What are your thoughts on the best time to dose? Is it better to do at night bc that's when corals feed? Or better right before light cycle to maximize photosynthesis/growth/nutrient absorption?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say after the lights go off because that is when zooplankton come out.

Also corals feed all day. I don't know where the idea that corals only feed at night comes from. Some put out tentacles to catch zooplankton at night, but corals that eat phyto don't seem to change their prey capturing behavior much when the lights are out (if someone knows a paper that disagrees with this please link it)

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo just before light or in the morning just after they come on. Any filter animal will consume anytime of the day but that live phyto can help uptake CO2 via photosynthesis during light hours

Eldredge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I think that there are advantages to both. During the day, it can reproduce with the help of the light to some degree (and uptake some CO2 as Rob.bucek said), and the daytime organisms can consume it. At night, the nocturnal organisms can consume it. I split my dosage in half and do half in the morning and half after lights out. If that's too much of a hassle, you might just dose earlier some days and later others.

OP
OP
D

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone.

I'll start with morning and see how it goes. I still have some "not so live" phytofeast as well as various frozen stuff to feed at night so should be OK.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that there are advantages to both. During the day, it can reproduce with the help of the light to some degree (and uptake some CO2 as Rob.bucek said), and the daytime organisms can consume it. At night, the nocturnal organisms can consume it. I split my dosage in half and do half in the morning and half after lights out. If that's too much of a hassle, you might just dose earlier some days and later others.
Oh snap! Forgot about them pods! Good points

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can't figure this one out. The only advantage I see to feeding at night is people saying corals feed at night. It seems to me my corals retract their polyps and shrivel up at night. Also, does anyone remove/turn off their mechanical filtration when feeding? I sometimes notice my filter socks turning green after feedind. I do add a lot, 300mls fresh, unrefrigerated tetraselmus daily in my 150g tank.

TheLandShark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can't figure this one out. The only advantage I see to feeding at night is people saying corals feed at night. It seems to me my corals retract their polyps and shrivel up at night. Also, does anyone remove/turn off their mechanical filtration when feeding? I sometimes notice my filter socks turning green after feedind. I do add a lot, 300mls fresh, unrefrigerated tetraselmus daily in my 150g tank.
Good morning,
I grow my own phyto, two different species but I don’t think it really matters, just splitting hairs at a certain point with details etc etc.
I’m just random with my dosing. Some times every day for a few, then some times only a couple times a week. Some times in the am, pm or whenever. The ocean has blooms, currents, and tides.
What I do care about though, is when I’ve been dosing to much IMO and I get lots of algae growth on the glass, or my nitrate/phosphate spike because to much nutrient in the water column. when this happens I cut back and make sure all my chemical filtration Is still good.
I guess lesson of the story is consistency in checking your parameters, monitor, and do what makes everybody and the corals happy.

TheLandShark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,
I grow my own phyto, two different species but I don’t think it really matters, just splitting hairs at a certain point with details etc etc.
I’m just random with my dosing. Some times every day for a few, then some times only a couple times a week. Some times in the am, pm or whenever. The ocean has blooms, currents, and tides.
What I do care about though, is when I’ve been dosing to much IMO and I get lots of algae growth on the glass, or my nitrate/phosphate spike because to much nutrient in the water column. when this happens I cut back and make sure all my chemical filtration Is still good.
I guess lesson of the story is consistency in checking your parameters, monitor, and do what makes everybody and the corals happy.

TheLandShark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I forgot to add,
Some corals retract at night, some throw out their feeders at night.
Different critters are out at night and some out during the day. Mix it up.
I have a great POD populations, and I make so much phytoplankton. Anyone who has ever made their own phytoplankton quickly realizes you make way more than you actually need. I could put a Gallon in there if I wanted.
Just do what makes your tank happy. Experiment, monitor and test parameters.

I just reverted back to the basics, stability is key when it comes to light, alkalinity, salinity, phosphate, nitrate, calcium, magnesium, temperature. In that order IMO.
For example, a reef can handle 2° shift during day/night cycle a whole lot better than it can handle a 2 DKH shift that probably will be lethal.
Just have fun with it! Happy reefing!

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I forgot to add,
Some corals retract at night, some throw out their feeders at night.
Different critters are out at night and some out during the day. Mix it up.
I have a great POD populations, and I make so much phytoplankton. Anyone who has ever made their own phytoplankton quickly realizes you make way more than you actually need. I could put a Gallon in there if I wanted.
Just do what makes your tank happy. Experiment, monitor and test parameters.

I just reverted back to the basics, stability is key when it comes to light, alkalinity, salinity, phosphate, nitrate, calcium, magnesium, temperature. In that order IMO.
For example, a reef can handle 2° shift during day/night cycle a whole lot better than it can handle a 2 DKH shift that probably will be lethal.
Just have fun with it! Happy reefing!
The other thing I do is shut off my UV and skimmer for a hour when adding it. I do also wonder if 100 or 200 micron filter socks remove any phyto but I assume it's minimal and there's not much I can do about it.

Back