Amino Acid Dosing—which brand should I use?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
As of recent, I have been considering more options to get better growth and coloration from my corals, especially those that are not doing so hot at the moment. This has especially become a major curiosity of mine after acquiring a new torch coral that is unfortunately bleached, and I’d love to give it the best shot of regaining its zooxanthellae and looking healthy again. While I have made many positive changes to my aquarium so far, I’m always looking for more ways to improve coral health and growth, and one that I know many people use is amino acid dosing. I’m curious as to the benefits of doing so, aside from being another nutrient source for the corals. Is it beneficial to mostly SPS, or will LPS corals also benefit from this addition?
Currently, I dose nitrogen and reef carbonate to my system, but have heard great things about amino acid dosing when it comes to coral colors and feeding responses.
As I’ve been looking for the best options, I’ve come across a few that seem particularly helpful. I’m curious to hear all of your experiences as well as your advice on best dosing practices, so that I can make the best decision on which brand I should go for. While I know that different people have different experiences with their reefs and products, I’d like to better gauge which direction I should go with when it comes to my tank’s future.
So far, I’ve considered:
-Polyplabs polyp booster
-Acropower
-Brightwell coral amino

Any other options and experiences would be appreciated!
Thanks!

benmed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your nitrate level affect your decision to start dosing aminos? Currently, my nitrates are about 20-30, phos 0.1. I have considered it but thought that I would really up my nitrates

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your nitrate level affect your decision to start dosing aminos? Currently, my nitrates are about 20-30, phos 0.1. I have considered it but thought that I would really up my nitrates
For the most part, I don’t think amino acids would significantly raise nitrates. Because they are taken up by the corals and used to build essential proteins, I can’t imagine a lot of them breaking down and contributing to the nitrogen cycle. Perhaps if one were to grossly overdose it or not have enough corals to absorb them all, then it could potentially raise nitrates.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back