Best way to "kill" unwanted zoanthids

Mattyice008

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a zoa/paly dominated nuvo 16, and one of the zoas I have is growing at a much faster rate. Someone told me they were carpeting anemone type or something. They have killed things that they touch.

So far I've only tried putting some aipstasia X on the perimeter zoas..

They are alone at the moment, very tight on the rock. Can't really frag them too easy, and I CAN'T take the rock out of the tank.

valcon69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you sure its a zoa? havent heard of them killing things they touch, but i may be wrong. post a pic.

PRomero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say frag them off, its not easy as you say but it sounds a lot easier then taking out the rock. You can try killing them with kalk but it may throw the small tanks paramaters out of whack very quickly if you use too much.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Doubt it is zoas if it's stinging and killing. Smothering maybe?

PRomero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, don't cut them, they'll just grow back and pollute your tank, chip them off the rocks.

TriggerThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Mohawk Paly infestation going on still. The light stopped them from going further up thankfully.
zeqyzy9e.jpg

Now I've just started gluing corals over them. The meaner the better.
I put a large Yuma in the middle , then a nasty stinging frag spawn and my war coral colony over them.
Also my trumpet corals.
Looks better now.
Just glue corals you like over the zoas and the stinging and lack of light will do the rest

Last edited:

PRomero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look cool :(

Looks to be a solid mat of zoa's, you can gently pry them off with your nail and then pull them off, just make sure not to wash your hands really well afterwards.

OP
OP
Mattyice008

Mattyice008

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 3" long acro near them, in the little opening to the right. They grew to were they were barely touching it, and the acro died the next day. Never had another zoa/paly do that before

760mason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont kill them. That is an awesome colony. Ship them to me I will pay the shipping. Or give them to someone into Zoas in your area. All corals will try and kill something that is a threat to their turf. Never heard of Zoas doing it though. Are you sure it was the Zoa? Like Trigger This pointed out win the battle with other corals. no need to eradicate a pretty and thriving zoa colony.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont kill them. That is an awesome colony. Ship them to me I will pay the shipping. Or give them to someone into Zoas in your area. All corals will try and kill something that is a threat to their turf. Never heard of Zoas doing it though. Are you sure it was the Zoa? Like Trigger This pointed out win the battle with other corals. no need to eradicate a pretty and thriving zoa colony.

+1... Frag and disperse

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back