Best way to plumb 3 return jets with one pump?

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you would need a several flow controls valves..kinda like these loclines
1713222835662.png

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is easy if all of the tanks have a single drain. It gets hard if you want all 3 tanks to have a herbie or bean animal drain. For store systems and aquaculture this is pretty common.

Run 3 drains into the sump one from each tank and build a manifold onto your return pump. Run 3 return lines to each tank connected to the manifold and place a ball valve on each line. In most cases, I use the Inline Locline Valves.

Keeping the valve by the tank will let you balance the flow. Water will always travel the path of least resistance so the return with the shortest run will get most of the flow. Simply close down the closest return and then close the second a little less to make sure that an appropriate amount of flow is getting to the farthest tank.

It is nice to have the valves by the tank rather than by the sump so you don't have to squat down by the sump to rebalance the system.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not that hard. I had 4 "tanks" I ran off of one reefflo hammerhead pump in my last reef life. I say "tanks" because I had 2 tanks upstairs a set of 2 300g stock tanks and a wall of 5 20g and 20 10g tanks for breeding clownfish. I used gate valves near the tanks. On the wall it got a little more tricky. The other tanks a 90g and a 75g display fuge were run off the returns from upstairs. Both tanks upstairs had dual overflows with 2 1" pipe in each emergency and full syphon so herbies.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 178 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back