Best way to test water?

tidus10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried multiple methods of testing my water and a few wet scan-trons, a bunch of ruined pens and note pads i still am on the fence about testing water. If i cannot afford a controller set up what is the best salt water testing kits to get? my LFS has always done this for me and I'm thinking its time to get my own. Can anyone help with advice?

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API is an easy to use test kit. Salifert and Red Sea would give you a more granular number. Basically you need to choose a test kit you are comfortable with using. If it is too much to handle you'll never test.

Stay away from the test strips as they are not very accurate.

OP
OP
tidus10

tidus10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id like to get the most information i can on the important to check things, I'm guessing the API since it tests 4 different items in one package?

OP
OP
tidus10

tidus10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... is there a differece between the API reef kit and API saltwater? should i get both? im having a hard time seeing what they test.. still searching though

OP
OP
tidus10

tidus10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
went to the source. if anyone else is wondering
API Saltwater Master Kit: Tests water four ways to protect marine fish and invertebrates from dangerous water conditions. Kit includes tests for: High Range pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, plus four test tubes, holding tray and test tube rack. Fast, easy and accurate.

API Reef Master Kit: This kit provides highly accurate testing for each of these critical parameters: calcium, KH, phosphate and nitrate.

so i guess for $46 on amazon you can get both, think this is the best way to go?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don’t see a need for ammonia unless you are cycling your tank and want to watch it appear and then disappear.

Nitrite kits for saltwater shouldn’t even be sold…..again, only if you want to see it appear and then disappear. It also never gets to a level that is an issue in saltwater tanks. Waste of a test kit.

pH is another waste of a test if you are maintaining proper alk, calc and mag. pH will take care of itself. The only issue of testing for pH is if you have a carbon dioxide problem in your house. Otherwise, proper alk, calc and mag with automatically control pH.

Now the Troika of testing are alk, calc and mag (assuming you’re keeping corals). I personally like the Red Sea Pro kit because of the added ergonomic design considerations with the kit. You might think the initial $50 for the kit is high, but the refill kits are dirt cheap. So in the end it is the least expensive test kit.

That’s my two cents.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally started with API as it was available locally. However I wave since switched to Red Sea. I did like the color changes in the API kit better though as they were easier to read...

If it's a new tank I would suggest both API kits. If it is a seasoned tank just go with the Reef Master. This is assuming you are still leaning towards API.

Downbeach

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don’t see a need for ammonia unless you are cycling your tank and want to watch it appear and then disappear.

Nitrite kits for saltwater shouldn’t even be sold…..again, only if you want to see it appear and then disappear. It also never gets to a level that is an issue in saltwater tanks. Waste of a test kit.

pH is another waste of a test if you are maintaining proper alk, calc and mag. pH will take care of itself. The only issue of testing for pH is if you have a carbon dioxide problem in your house. Otherwise, proper alk, calc and mag with automatically control pH.

Now the Troika of testing are alk, calc and mag (assuming you’re keeping corals). I personally like the Red Sea Pro kit because of the added ergonomic design considerations with the kit. You might think the initial $50 for the kit is high, but the refill kits are dirt cheap. So in the end it is the least expensive test kit.

That’s my two cents.

++1

OP
OP
tidus10

tidus10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please keep in mind that i will be cycling my tank and the kit must be able to tell me when its done cycling

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it was reccomended against but to test nitrates and nitrites just get the test strips from wal mart but there is a big if so read the second paragraph. When testing for nitrites and ammonia you are checking to see if any is there, the strips will tell you this and if a nitrite problem is detected you can test further. As far as nitrates the rough estimate you get from the strips is good enough. Also the rough estimate of ph is good enough because you are trying to maintain a consistent ph rather than a target number. When you are watching a cycle, you're looking for spike and then drop in nitrates, nitrites, ammonia. The strips will indicate this. At the end of your cycle your nitrites and ammonia should both be zero and nitrates relatively low but always present. For monitoring nitrates you just want to look or a build of them so you can take action if so, you do not need a super accurate number.

Now the test strips are not good for testing alk, calcium,or magnesium if you are going to have coral. You will need a better much more accurate test I reccomemd either salifert or red sea pro test kits (I use the red sea pro). You can get a kit with the red sea pro mag, cal, and alk test kits for $50 from bulk reef supply and to get new reagents is around $12 when you have used them up. The test strip are cheap for a whole bunch.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Last edited:

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the API liquid master test kits and then graduated to all Salifert kits. Much more accurate and easier to decipher with the drop count titration method. The color changes are dramatic versus most of the API kits where you are trying to distinguish different shades of the same color.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 94 41.6%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 114 50.4%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.1%
Back