Stuck Nitrite Levels During Cycling

thiagobarnabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I'm seeking some insights and guidance on my reef cycling process.

I initiated the cycling process on March 18th, which means I’ve been cycling for approximately 47 days now.

Once the ammonia level dropped to zero on April 3rd, I began testing for nitrite. Currently, there are no animals in the tank, and the ammonia level is at zero. However, the nitrite levels have consistently remained fixed at 2.8 ppm for over three weeks now.

I'm using a test kit that has a maximum scale of 2.8 ppm for nitrite, which could mean that the actual level may be higher than this.

My tank is a little over 18 gallons and is equipped with Seachem Matrix biological media, a layout with Marco dry Rocks, and an acrylic pad for mechanical filtration.

I've been dosing Seachem Stability biological accelerator since the beginning and adopted the ghost feeding method.

It seems I'm facing a standstill in the nitrogen cycle. I've come across conflicting advice online, with some suggesting to wait it out patiently, while others recommend a substantial water change, upwards of 50%.

What would be the best approach at this point? Should I stop dosing Seachem Stability? Should I continue to wait it out or consider a substantial water change?

Appreciate any insights or advice you can offer!

IMG_0799.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it eats ammonia, it is safe for fishes.

Did you measure nitrates, I am fairly certain you have them.

If this is a coral tank then I think it is also safe for corals. They are happy to have a little ammonia to feed on.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 154 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back