Bio pellets

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never heard of adding nitrates to the tank. My nitrates are undetectable and at this this point surprisingly are at .06 without any phosphate removing media.

Old school this would be considered as a sin, in which is where I am from, I started the hobby in 1999 (took a 2007-2013 break). But...these days some people are open to having a nitrate level of 5ppm and some people's systems requires them dosing nitrates to keep it up. It took me a lot of soul searching for me to get over what I was taught basically all of my reefkeeping life and start dosing nitrates to play with the phosphates level though BioPellets. I have learned if one of the two is high it is because the other is low. If both are high that just means you are overstock and/or feeding too much and your export system can't keep up.

As for 3 days lights out, that's just putting a band-aid over skin cut when the same deep cut is causing internal bleeding. Cyano will be right back at it when lights are back on. You need to find the source and fix it or have a better export system in place.

Last edited:

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a three daylights out, anyone have any success with that? I'm not planning to do any dosing at this time

That could help to leverage the good bacteria, but It could come back. You will have to black it out completely. Wrap the tank up so that no light whatsoever gets in

OP
OP
20 gallon nano

20 gallon nano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old school this would be considered as a sin, in which is where I am from, I started the hobby in 1999 (took a 2007-2013 break). But...these days some people are open to having a nitrate level of 5ppm and some people's systems requires them dosing nitrates to keep it up. It took me a lot of soul searching for me to get over what I was taught basically all of my reefkeeping life and start dosing nitrates to play with the phosphates level though BioPellets. I have learned if one of the two is high it is because the other is low. If both are high that just means you are overstock and/or feeding too much and your export system can't keep up.

As for 3 days lights out, that's just putting a band-aid over skin cut when the same deep cut is causing internal bleeding. Cyano will be right back at it when lights are back on. You need to find the source and fix it or have a better export system in place.
I've seen many great successful tank where there water quality parameters are all at zero.i even asked my lfs what he keeps his display tank at, he has a very nice sps tank, his nitrates and phosphates are always undetectable. I've tried the 3 days lights out and like it was mentioned, it was only a band aid, everything just came right back.

OP
OP
20 gallon nano

20 gallon nano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could help to leverage the good bacteria, but It could come back. You will have to black it out completely. Wrap the tank up so that no light whatsoever gets in
After the bio pellets start kicking in, wouldn't that mean the good bacteria is going to start colonizing throughout the tank and start eliminating the cyano, I would think waiting it out would be the best solution since there would be no negative effect unless it start covering my corals.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the bio pellets start kicking in, wouldn't that mean the good bacteria is going to start colonizing throughout the tank and start eliminating the cyano, I would think waiting it out would be the best solution since there would be no negative effect unless it start covering my corals.

Cyano is toxic so there could certainly be risk but probably equally as risky as other solutions.

Batteredsav

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bio pellets do drop phosphates.
use only half the recommended dose and run alkalinity around 2.5 and calcium around 400 do not increase to full this will strip to much nutrients from your water column and create too much mulm blocking pipes and pump8.

OP
OP
20 gallon nano

20 gallon nano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bio pellets do drop phosphates.
use only half the recommended dose and run alkalinity around 2.5 and calcium around 400 do not increase to full this will strip to much nutrients from your water column and create too much mulm blocking pipes and pump8.
Yea I heard that from many people that it will strip nutriants,but also it provides good bacteria that the corals consume. I will stay with the amount I have so far and test for phosphates and nitrates in a month to see if it brought my phosphates lower, it's at .06 right now. Im running my calcium at 470, that's what my salt mix brings it up to.

Schwaggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I rebooted my system earlier this year I started it with bio pellets in the system. It has kept my phosphates and nitrates pinned at 0 despite generous feeding of fish. I'm to the point where the color of new corals added fades shortly after addition. Almost all my SPS frags have pale or no color. Some LPS seem to love zero nitrates and phosphates.

Should I scrap the pellets and go to vodka or remove some pellets?

OP
OP
20 gallon nano

20 gallon nano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I rebooted my system earlier this year I started it with bio pellets in the system. It has kept my phosphates and nitrates pinned at 0 despite generous feeding of fish. I'm to the point where the color of new corals added fades shortly after addition. Almost all my SPS frags have pale or no color. Some LPS seem to love zero nitrates and phosphates.

Should I scrap the pellets and go to vodka or remove some pellets?
I'm wondering if adding beneficial trace elements like red seas color additive or other products would help keep corals thriving.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back