Bioluminescent plankton

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kids had one of those dinopets a few years ago, it was pretty cool.

It was a sealed container though.

I was thinking about adding them to my tank as a late stage in cycling and I found this thread.

I'm not sure what specific type of dinoflagellates are used for the dinopets, but the reading I've done so far has me leaning towards no.

That particular strain has a low tolerance for ammonia, so I suspect a swing in tank stability or accidental overfeeding of fish could wipe them out.

They're apparently a big contributor to paralytic shellfish toxin poisoning in humans, which in an aquarium setting would probably only be a concern to shellfish, and may be ok with the same precautions one would use when keeping zoas or palys.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way will i add dinos to my tank :D

Beautiful

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you can buy this stuff here
http://www.empco.org/edu
But what would happen if you put it in your tank. It is found in the ocean.

Your link did not work for me but I suspect those are dinoflagellates. If you dive any reef at sundown go down a few feet and wave your arms around that will happen. It's pretty fun and I recommend you try it if you get the chance. Most people do not want dino's in their tank. I am not sure if the bioluminescient dinos are as problematic in a tank as the normal pests. If they don't choke out anything and release toxins they will likely use up their resources and eventually die out of the tank like other dinos.

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your link did not work for me but I suspect those are dinoflagellates. If you dive any reef at sundown go down a few feet and wave your arms around that will happen. It's pretty fun and I recommend you try it if you get the chance. Most people do not want dino's in their tank. I am not sure if the bioluminescient dinos are as problematic in a tank as the normal pests. If they don't choke out anything and release toxins they will likely use up their resources and eventually die out of the tank like other dinos.
Link didnt work because it's almost 5 years old. That site is probably not around anymore.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recently they have them

Do you know what species they are and where they are available? I have been looking for copepods or ostracods that are bioluminescent. I have kept a dino culture before and plan to do that again at some point but I have been looking for organisms that are more suited to a tropical reef environment which is not the most ideal place for bioluminescent dinos.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what species they are and where they are available? I have been looking for copepods or ostracods that are bioluminescent. I have kept a dino culture before and plan to do that again at some point but I have been looking for organisms that are more suited to a tropical reef environment which is not the most ideal place for bioluminescent dinos.
I thought pod your reef did some but I can't find any

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some. I’m going to add some to my mini cube that I have in my bedroom after they adjust from shipping and start to multiply. I had them before and kept them in various containers. They never turned into that awful crap that “Dino’s” are known for in our tanks...

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some. I’m going to add some to my mini cube that I have in my bedroom after they adjust from shipping and start to multiply. I had them before and kept them in various containers. They never turned into that awful crap that “Dino’s” are known for in our tanks...
Where did you order from?

bettaladuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to revive an old thread but has anyone had any success with bioluminescent dinoflagellates in a reef tank?

Sorry to revive an old thread but has anyone had any success with bioluminescent dinoflagellates in a reef tank? YES. However, the Dinos are diluted and removed by mechanical filtration and predation. So If you were to add Dinos to a saltwater aquarium firstly you would wait until nighttime, turn out the lights and turn off the filtration (for a short period). Adding them to a saltwater aquarium at night in the dark is a dramatic for a few minutes. . The dilution of the Dinos minimize their effect a bit but it does provide a cool 'starry night' effect in your aquarium for several weeks

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 52 54.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 4.2%
Back