Biowheel and copper?

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently in the midst of my first "proper" QT process. I just started round two of prazi, which will be followed by 30 days of copper.

To start the biofilter in the QT I had the biowheel for the HOB in the sump of my DT for 3+ months.

The question is, once QT is complete, and assuming no illness or parasite shows itself in the QT...can I put the biowheel back in my sump? My main concern is not so much introducing parasites to the DT, but rather is there enough copper in the biowheel to cause issues in the DT?

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it occurs to me that after this use the biowheel will be rendered useless. I can buy a replacement but they aren't cheap. Mostly I wondered if they do actually absorb any of the copper or not. I don't mind letting it completely dry out to prevent parasite contamination.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn't chance it.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, going forward I either need to purchase a new biowheel every time, or get a different hob filter, neither option is attractive. lol Ahh well.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is the marineland HOB I have two one on each qt and I never used the biowheels.
What do you use for media then? The filter pads have carbon in them, so I pull that during meds...

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you use for media then? The filter pads have carbon in them, so I pull that during meds...

I have a sponge filter in both of them you can see it in this pic.

ea8df7b921efd50aafc9d4ec388b9a95.jpg

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then what's the purpose of the hob? Just added circulation and oxygenation?

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then what's the purpose of the hob? Just added circulation and oxygenation?

You got. it also is a place for my polyfilter pads and carbon and it also help distribute the meds better In the tank and last it’s a spot I can feed from. Sponge filter also helps with oxygen and I also have an air stone in there.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it occurs to me that after this use the biowheel will be rendered useless. I can buy a replacement but they aren't cheap. Mostly I wondered if they do actually absorb any of the copper or not. I don't mind letting it completely dry out to prevent parasite contamination.

Why is it useless? Just seed it with ammonia/Biospira (or some other bacteria starter), and it is good to go. I use a sponge filter connected to a power head in my QT and seed the sponge filter with ammonia/Biospira each time I setup the QT.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could buy one more.
One to run the sump. Then move the media over to the qt one.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it useless? Just seed it with ammonia/Biospira (or some other bacteria starter), and it is good to go. I use a sponge filter connected to a power head in my QT and seed the sponge filter with ammonia/Biospira each time I setup the QT.

So you are saying that after running copper through the biowheel it’s ok to take the chance and put it in her display sump ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got. it also is a place for my polyfilter pads and carbon and it also help distribute the meds better In the tank and last it’s a spot I can feed from. Sponge filter also helps with oxygen and I also have an air stone in there.
I do have an additional airstone in there for increased oxygen while using prazi.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'm just bummed because I didn't really think it out long term and I spent 3 months seeding that biowheel! :D

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back