Biowheel and copper?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got a nice, diversely seeded bio-wheel, which will get you through this instance of QT, but may (or may not, cue Clint Eastwood's "Do you feel lucky?") absorb copper. Like others above, I wouldn't chance putting that back into my display - or the water that circulates through it.

My own inclination would be, when you're done with QT and break down the tank, to clean the bio-wheel and set it aside until you want more fish. Set up your QT a week or two beforehand, and use Dr. Tim's One-and-Only or Bio-Spira to re-seed the bio-wheel. They'll be more than up to the task! Within the body of the HOB, you can use the cartridges they make for it, but cut them open and remove the carbon if you're medicating. Another alternative would be to use a sponge material, cut to fit. I use Aqua-Clear 110s in my QT, and use two of the sponge blocks in each. They strain particulate matter (uneaten food and "detritus"), and also provide bacteria with a place to grow. When I do a water change, I'll squeeze the poop outta the sponges in the water I take out of the tank - and they're ready to go until the next WC.

I'll only seed a sponge in my sump if I've just taken it out of the box, brand new.

~Bruce

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got a nice, diversely seeded bio-wheel, which will get you through this instance of QT, but may (or may not, cue Clint Eastwood's "Do you feel lucky?") absorb copper. Like others above, I wouldn't chance putting that back into my display - or the water that circulates through it.

My own inclination would be, when you're done with QT and break down the tank, to clean the bio-wheel and set it aside until you want more fish. Set up your QT a week or two beforehand, and use Dr. Tim's One-and-Only or Bio-Spira to re-seed the bio-wheel. They'll be more than up to the task! Within the body of the HOB, you can use the cartridges they make for it, but cut them open and remove the carbon if you're medicating. Another alternative would be to use a sponge material, cut to fit. I use Aqua-Clear 110s in my QT, and use two of the sponge blocks in each. They strain particulate matter (uneaten food and "detritus"), and also provide bacteria with a place to grow. When I do a water change, I'll squeeze the poop outta the sponges in the water I take out of the tank - and they're ready to go until the next WC.

I'll only seed a sponge in my sump if I've just taken it out of the box, brand new.

~Bruce
Thanks Bruce, one of the most helpful responses thus far.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My own inclination would be, when you're done with QT and break down the tank, to clean the bio-wheel and set it aside until you want more fish. Set up your QT a week or two beforehand, and use Dr. Tim's One-and-Only or Bio-Spira to re-seed the bio-wheel. They'll be more than up to the task!

~Bruce

This. Sorry I wasn’t more clear.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back