Bland Foxface coloration

ScolyThor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have owned this one spot foxface for a few years now. It has tripled in size, is very fat, and extremely well fed. However, even in the LFS it’s coloration was poor (I assumed due to stress). And it had never colored up. I see tons of practically fluorescent foxface, but have never seen another this poorly colored.

Im curious if you guys can think of anything im doing wrong to malnourish the poor guy.

No signs of disease on the outside. And he’s the biggest and most aggressive fish I own.

I feed LRS Reef Frenzy twice daily, spirulina pellets every other day, I feed Nori daily (alternate between green, red, and brown each day). I intermittently mix in other frozen foods as well. Never seen it’s coloration better.

Thanks for the help!

IMG_7581.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a case of malnutrition but just bad genetics. You have an ugly fat non-foxy foxface and as you noted the poor colored fish has always looked dingy. I have a Lo that has similar genetics and it rarely looks pretty and usually it's pretty ugly. I got it that way and like you I thought it was needing a good home and it would color up nicely. Generally it looks dingy and off colored and its a nervous wreck, splashing around and hiding when it sees its own shadow. It's so ugly it's shadow hides from it?

Welcome to Reef2Reef.

Trade it in now before it gets any bigger.
Robot Wtf GIF
:smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

OP
OP
S

ScolyThor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I was worried about that…as we all do, I assume if something doesn’t look quite right that it’s my fault. Glad to hear it isn’t at least

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I was worried about that…as we all do, I assume if something doesn’t look quite right that it’s my fault. Glad to hear it isn’t at least
I have decided mine is a nervous wreck and don't expect it to change much, if ever. Hope I am wrong about this. :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided mine is a nervous wreck and don't expect it to change much, if ever. Hope I am wrong about this. :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:
I got a magnificent foxface that loves to play soldier....camouflage. For no apparent reason it gets nervous outbreaks and the camo comes on. They are for sure nervous wrecks. Don't fancy our chances of that changing. Would I give him away because of it?...no way, he's part of the family now.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have owned this one spot foxface for a few years now. It has tripled in size, is very fat, and extremely well fed. However, even in the LFS it’s coloration was poor (I assumed due to stress). And it had never colored up. I see tons of practically fluorescent foxface, but have never seen another this poorly colored.

Im curious if you guys can think of anything im doing wrong to malnourish the poor guy.

No signs of disease on the outside. And he’s the biggest and most aggressive fish I own.

I feed LRS Reef Frenzy twice daily, spirulina pellets every other day, I feed Nori daily (alternate between green, red, and brown each day). I intermittently mix in other frozen foods as well. Never seen it’s coloration better.

Thanks for the help!

IMG_7581.jpeg
My foxface was very vibrant for a few weeks then lost colour.
I changed to NSW and my FF is now very bright.
I just wonder if it's the salt I was mixing?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the help!

IMG_7581.jpeg

I don’t think there is a disease process here.
I’ve seen foxface that looked worse than this (grin).

Jay

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface was very vibrant for a few weeks then lost colour.
I changed to NSW and my FF is now very bright.
I just wonder if it's the salt I was mixing?
I use almost 100% NSW, only occassionally add mix.
I don’t think there is a disease process here.
I’ve seen foxface that looked worse than this (grin).

Jay
I have seen a few disease(?) posts for others foxfaces that have camoflage problems that raise concerns of health. Mine isn't one of those, but it certainly can look like it might be dealing with a pest at times.

I have treated mine with the best of care and only considered getting rid of it because it obviously doesn't like me enough to color up nicely. Is that mental illness, in me or the Lo? :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the help!

IMG_7581.jpeg
I soak food in garlic, selcon and vitichem and Ive noticed so much difference in my fish coloration, maybe try those? Seems to make my fox faces colors pop. Well the yellow and red on him, he is a Magnificat so gray body but all my other fish are super bright!

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a case of malnutrition but just bad genetics. You have an ugly fat non-foxy foxface and as you noted the poor colored fish has always looked dingy. I have a Lo that has similar genetics and it rarely looks pretty and usually it's pretty ugly. I got it that way and like you I thought it was needing a good home and it would color up nicely. Generally it looks dingy and off colored and its a nervous wreck, splashing around and hiding when it sees its own shadow. It's so ugly it's shadow hides from it?

Welcome to Reef2Reef.

Trade it in now before it gets any bigger.
Robot what the heck GIF
:smiling-face-with-sunglasses:
Lol, that puppet is soo ugly that its hairline is running away from its face!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Often discoloration is stress or water quality related opposed to disease and i too dont believe disease plays a role here.

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my one spot for months. Was beautiful and vibrant in the LfS but since has pretty much stayed in camo! I’m so frustrated that it doesn’t look like it did when I bought it. No other mates pick on him but he lives in camo. Occasionally showing his one spots but rarely. Wish someone had some advice to bring him back!

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface are babies. First sign of trouble they camo or drab their colors. If they feel really really comfy they show their banana yellow, but it's usually momentary. Mine has done it more and more the longer they're in the tank

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just throwing this out there. I could be totally off, but it is just a theory.

I see your rocks and sand are dark. Could he possibly be just trying to blend in? The bottom of the fish is pretty yellow, and only the top is dark. I know some fish evolved over time to look like this permanently.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my one spot for months. Was beautiful and vibrant in the LfS but since has pretty much stayed in camo! I’m so frustrated that it doesn’t look like it did when I bought it. No other mates pick on him but he lives in camo. Occasionally showing his one spots but rarely. Wish someone had some advice to bring him back!
I have a Foxface and he used to have the same issue. Always a thick black stripe on the dorsal side. Introduced a Desjardini Sailfin through an acclimation box and now they are best friends. No more black stripe and they are always swimming together. Hope this gives you hope. Good luck

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Foxface and he used to have the same issue. Always a thick black stripe on the dorsal side. Introduced a Desjardini Sailfin through an acclimation box and now they are best friends. No more black stripe and they are always swimming together. Hope this gives you hope. Good luck
Basically the same happened with my foxface… looked terrible for over a year… had to break down a frag tank and moved a yellow and a hippo tangs into the tank with the FF…. Colored up and looking great!

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully the addition of a scopas a few weeks ago chills him out and they become friends and he colors up. Usually the morning is the best time before he goes all camo for the afternoon and evening. Wonder if the brighter light has anything to do with it.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully the addition of a scopas a few weeks ago chills him out and they become friends and he colors up. Usually the morning is the best time before he goes all camo for the afternoon and evening. Wonder if the brighter light has anything to do with it.
Use an acclimation box for best results
I made one for $10 from Petco. After 3 days, all was right in the tank

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back