Bleached Bubble Tip anemone

mayday610

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not trying to argue with you about what can and cant grow algae, but that flashlight wont grow the proper kind of algae for the nem hands down and if it does, at all it would be much too slow. Algae doesnt grow from feedings, so feeding it will only temporarily solve the problem where lighting will be a more permanent solution. I never said feeding wont help, but please lets make sure Bjohn gets good sound advice and telling him not to worry about upgrading the light, when clearly 12w is nowhere near enough for his tank. 12w might cut it for a bta in a nano tank so thats something to consider, possible downsize of tank. If youre set though on having a bigger tank, a bigger light is a 100% must. People seriously have btas that are never target fed, not once ever and they are beautiful so please explain to me how that happens?

I never said that Bjohn doesn't need to upgrade his lights. The point i was getting at is that upgrading alone isn't going to save the BTA. I agree that you can't keep one without proper lighting, but with its lack of zoox, just lighting isn't going to sustain it. I only pointed out that it must be fed in order to gain nutrients while the zoox populations grow. I also never said that feeding the nem is going to feed the zoox. I think you are missing the point when you say that people have beautiful BTAs that they never target feed. I agree that a healthy BTA, full of zoox, can be sustained without target feeding. Again, this is not the case here! Also, i don't see it as argueing, i see it as constructive critisism :) I don't mean to offend, and if i did, i do appologize.

GratefulReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never said that Bjohn doesn't need to upgrade his lights. The point i was getting at is that upgrading alone isn't going to save the BTA. I agree that you can't keep one without proper lighting, but with its lack of zoox, just lighting isn't going to sustain it. I only pointed out that it must be fed in order to gain nutrients while the zoox populations grow. I also never said that feeding the nem is going to feed the zoox. I think you are missing the point when you say that people have beautiful BTAs that they never target feed. I agree that a healthy BTA, full of zoox, can be sustained without target feeding. Again, this is not the case here! Also, i don't see it as argueing, i see it as constructive critisism :) I don't mean to offend, and if i did, i do appologize.

No offense taken, I just didnt want my comments to come off as rude at all. The point I am trying to make is feeding it, anything but light will not grow the algae it needs. Unless there is some type of food out there with significant zoo algae I just dont see target feedings helping much, except to prolong its certain death. Yes feed it, but also make sure to get a suitable light fixture. For that 37 you could buy something nice for under 300, with an upgrade to bulbs you'd spend less than 400 and have a suitable fixture to grow that bta and almost any coral you want. I just dont want him to think he has 3-4 months of target feeding to get a new fixture I lost a couple nems myself with this thinking, a sebae and 2 condys when I had my old fixture 125w on my 75g. Now with almost double that 216w I am on the middle spectrum for a bta, mine is nice colorful and happy, but def could be happier. I'm glad others are chiming in because it helps build the through process as you consider what each person is saying. Bjohn any update on the nem?

OP
OP
Bjohn

Bjohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0209[1].jpg

sorry for the iphone quality... its about 2 inches in diameter, and happens to be in the worst spot to get a picture of it. I will get parameters by the end of the day. The last time I checked salinity, it was 1.026. That was tested with a refractometer

OP
OP
Bjohn

Bjohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also it has appeared to be opened more today than yesterday

OP
OP
Bjohn

Bjohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the levels.
Ca-410
Mg-1350
Alk-9
No3-75
Po4-20
Sal-1.026

GratefulReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your nitrates NO3 are high as well as phosphates Po4 ca mg and sal are good. Do you have ammonia test? Are you using RODI water? Regular water changes? All these things seem small but trust me they go a long long way for your reef. Hope the nem is doing well still.

debben69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get your nitrates and phosphates down, nothing will heal with nitrates that high. Find a cheap t5 to put over it for the meantime. Feed it a tiny (size of a pea) peice of frozen/thawed krill every three days. My nems loose their color over time if I don't feed them, but I run a low nutrient system. When I feed them regularly they split all the time.

OP
OP
Bjohn

Bjohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm use RO water. Ammonia is at 0, and I do 10% water changes every week. I am in the process of lowering those nitrates and phosphates

GratefulReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok good, youre on the right track. Maybe do a 30% or so wc and see if it lowers it, then do the same thing in a couple weeks.

OP
OP
Bjohn

Bjohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing big to report. It is opening up a lot and accepts food. On the hunt for lights

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

tomterreefic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbreeders look like nice fixtures. I know a local reefer who loves his, but I haven't seen them in action or know any long term growth experience. I like the idea of a 2 year warranty and US distributor that you could contact for customer/technical support. I have pretty much decided to go with Reefbreeders when I finally take the LED plunge.

Has the nem gained any color? Is there a reef club near you? If so, I would ask around to see if anyone has a small PC or T-5 light you can borrow until you get new lights.

If you get the LEDs, start with the intensity low. As stated earlier, the Zooxanthellae acts as a sunscreen for the anemone. Hitting the anemone with high PAR LEDs while bleached, could do more harm than good.

GratefulReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5s are imo the way to go for now, I am going to try the LED route myself in the next week or so but will keep my t5 fixture until I know for sure if the LEDs are working. Make sure you put good quality bulbs in your fixture, ati, geisemann are my personal favs. The bta still fighting I assume, which is a good sign. How does the mouth look? If its gaped that is a sign of stress and trouble, not to worry you as I see you are trying to do what is best for the nem and I'm sure that very soon(2ish weeks) after installing the t5s with good bulbs you will start to notice a difference!

OP
OP
Bjohn

Bjohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nope, looking the same as before. get the lights tomorrow. any idea of bulb combinations for a 6 bulb T-5 fixture? I have a actinic and a 10k already. and I have a 420nm purple bulb coming on friday.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over my 40 breeder I have 6*39 T5's, TEK fixture.
Front to back,
ATI Blue +
ATI Blue +
GE 3,000K
ATI Blue +
KZ Fiji Purple
ATI Blue +.

Whatever combo you use, I would suggest acclimating your anemone to the new lights. I would use 3 layers of window screening (( supported by egg crate )), with removing one layer every 5-7 days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bjohn

Bjohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! What brand of lights did you get?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 21.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 94 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back