Blue Hippo Tang Always hiding

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would setup a camera to see what is going on when your not around. If you can get a few good shots of the fish it could help determine if it is sick or if another fish is picking on it.

OP
OP
cymonous

cymonous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would setup a camera to see what is going on when your not around. If you can get a few good shots of the fish it could help determine if it is sick or if another fish is picking on it.
I did just that this morning. I'm watching it now remotely, but lights are off. I've seen her once going through the back towards the left away from her spot.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your calcium, and magnesium are low. Raise those to 400ppm calcium and 1350ppm magnesium.

Ive noticed fish get scared with lower mag and calcium. Both are requirements in muscle contraction. If one is missing or low muscles can remain contracted, for example low calcium. While mag releases the contraction. Correcting those should help the fish recover.

Having those low evokes "flight or fight response".

Randomhero68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tiny hippo and it never hides it thinks I'm going to feed it all the time

IMAG0722.jpg

OP
OP
cymonous

cymonous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture 3.jpg Picture 4.jpg Picture 5.jpg Picture 6.jpg Picture 7.jpg Picture 8.jpg Picture 9.jpg I watched the tank live and recorded videos when I couldn't watch live. She never came out to the open tank. I only saw her move a couple times across the back bottom part of the tank. I now have the webcam on the side of the tank looking right at her. Kinda looking to see if there are is any aggression I haven't saw previously.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your not listening, what's the point?

Have you corrected your calcium and magnesium?

OP
OP
cymonous

cymonous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing some water changes to try to fix my levels. I am starting to think my salt is low on alk at least. Just tested and this is what I have now.

Mg 1320
CA 390
Alk 7.1

I dosed some baking soda to at least bring up Alk. I have heard to use Mrs Wages Pickling Lime. Will this help?

I have not noticed any HLLE.

Lynn52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the third pic there are visible white spots on the tail and the last pic there are visible white spots on the belly.

OP
OP
cymonous

cymonous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the third pic there are visible white spots on the tail and the last pic there are visible white spots on the belly.
Those pics were taken within 30 seconds together. While one looks like spots, other pics don't show those spots. I am pretty sure those spots are sediments or sand.

OP
OP
cymonous

cymonous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your not listening, what's the point?

Have you corrected your calcium and magnesium?

I've done some water changes and added Kalkwasser to my ATO.

Ca 400
Mg 1340
Alk 9.1

Sg 1.0265
Temp 78

This was my test on Sunday. The tang has still not come out. I have been listening, but your suggestion didn't seem optimistic.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Should I be worried if she never comes out?

OP
OP
cymonous

cymonous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone? Should I be worried if she will die from not eating as much as she use to?

OP
OP
cymonous

cymonous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please help and answer me? If it is my tank size or something else, please say so. Should I be worried she won't survive hiding behind the rocks?

Lynn52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is too small for a hippo tang but I doubt that is the issue since she came from an even smaller tank. She is stressed but who knows why, it could be the move, it could be tank mates, she could be sick since she is hiding there is no way to know. If it were me I would remove her and put her in quarantine. You can control her environment, monitor all parameters regularly and keep the water pristine. This way you can better monitor her behavior and appearance as well as try to entice her to eat. Once she is behaving normally and eating well you can return her to the tank.

OP
OP
cymonous

cymonous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply and advice. I am getting my quarantine ready. I have prazipro and Melafix on-hand. Which do you suggest I try first?

Lynn52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I'd observe her for a few days and try to get her eating. Prazi for sure will decrease her appetite and you need her to eat. Try an assortment of foods to entice a feeding response. Try soaking the food in a vitamin supplement like Selcon.
PraziPro treats worms and melafix treats infections. I don't know if you really want to treat unless you know what you are treating.

OP
OP
cymonous

cymonous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is, she does eat what floats by her in the back. I've even target fed her, but I have to put my hands in with a baster to do it.

I thought if you take a fish out of your tank to put in a quarantine, it would be considered for hospital reasons. Thus, trying to treat her. Would it hurt to use melafix at least?

OP
OP
cymonous

cymonous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20160505_222500.jpg 20160505_222449.jpg I just got her in quarantine and noticed these tan blotches on her one side at the tail.

Lynn52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrote this yesterday and apparently forgot to post it.
Quarantine is a place to isolate a fish not necessarily a sick fish. It is use to condition fish to captive life, to make sure no disease is present before adding to display tank, and for treating sick fish. In general the melafix should be fine. The risk is if a disease pops up and the treatment is not compatible with melafix then you have a problem. I'd just watch her for a few days and fatten her up. You haven't been able to watch her because she's hiding, you don't know what her body condition is now only what it used to be. Ideally if she is sick it will be visible either by her physical appearance or her behavior and you can treat the disease. Just throwing meds in isn't usually a good idea. Once you get her in the QT take some pics of her.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 66 48.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back