Blue Hippo Tang

Tim&Amanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just added our first fish today which is a hippo tang. The fish seems to stay in the corner of the tank next to the heat stick. I have read that they like to hide but is this normal since we just introduced the fish to the tank?

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, lots of new fish will hide when first introduced to a new tank. The Hippo Tangs are know for lying down or squeezing between rocks to hide and sleep.

On another note, is the fish in your 27gal. If so, how big is the Hippo? Regardless, I would either take the fish back or find a new home for him soon. Reason being, the they max out around 12" within a few years and will quickly become stressed in a tank that small.

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Give it time and it should be out and about. These fish like to swim, and swim fast back and forth.

OP
OP
T

Tim&Amanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We purchased a small hippo tang bc we were aware that they at least require 70 gallons or more. When the fish gets too big, i hope to have a larger tank by then or i will make sure he gets to the right home.

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be aware, they grow quick. Mine started as a 1 inch juvi and in 2 years is now 4 inches and swims the entire length of my 180 like a torpedo. If you think the fish is unhappy, you might want to consider trading it in.

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the first signs of being stressed it pacing the tank from end to end. Also as stressed fish could jump out too.

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new fish. Just be careful with him as tangs are more. Prone to sickness. Especially if they are stressed. I would consider keeping only him in the tank or only one other small fish. He will defiantly need a bigger tank soon.

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a founding member of the tank police...however...these fish will not grow to 12" in a couple years.

Very few will get to that size in captivity, and most likely not in 2 years.

I bought mine as a 3" or so over a year ago. My tanks h2o is pristine, the fish is healthy, and has only mad minor signs of ich once in its life. It gets feed PE mysis, NLS, selecon, and different kinds of nori and live micro/macro algae all the time. It is now probably a little over 5" (barely).

Tangs grow fast, but not that fast. The tank needs to become at least a 125g (6' variety) sometime in the near future however.

OP
OP
T

Tim&Amanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today i started noticing white spots on him. I read that they are very prone to ich. He has scratched himself on the LR and on the sand. For the most part he hangs next to the heat stick. I fed him take and he did eat a little. I have read a couple recomendations to start for treating ich such as green sea weed soaked in garlic. Any personal recomendations. He is the first fish in the tank and he has been in there for 24 hours.

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today i started noticing white spots on him. I read that they are very prone to ich. He has scratched himself on the LR and on the sand. For the most part he hangs next to the heat stick. I fed him take and he did eat a little. I have read a couple recomendations to start for treating ich such as green sea weed soaked in garlic. Any personal recomendations. He is the first fish in the tank and he has been in there for 24 hours.

He most likely had the ich but it wasn't visible in the store for a number of reasons. Pulling him from the LFS and adding to your tank just added some stress which probably allowed the ich to show itself again on the little guy. Basically the stress allowed a "flare up".

There are number of things that you can do to treat the fish. I always leave the fish in the tank and just keep it well fed and make sure the water parameters are spot on. Another option is to remove the fish and setup a Hypo or Copper hospital tank. You would need to treat the fish in the other tank for 12 week while your display tank has all the ich die in it. The reason for the 12 weeks is the ich life cycle can last up to 12 weeks with no host.

From my experience having tried all the solutions, keeping the fish in the display tank and keeping it well fed is the easiest to has proven the best out come for me.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a founding member of the tank police...however...these fish will not grow to 12" in a couple years.

Very few will get to that size in captivity, and most likely not in 2 years.

I bought mine as a 3" or so over a year ago. My tanks h2o is pristine, the fish is healthy, and has only mad minor signs of ich once in its life. It gets feed PE mysis, NLS, selecon, and different kinds of nori and live micro/macro algae all the time. It is now probably a little over 5" (barely).

Tangs grow fast, but not that fast. The tank needs to become at least a 125g (6' variety) sometime in the near future however.

Oh no, please don't start the tang police thing on R2R. Once reason I left ReefCentral cause I was so tired of hearing that phrase. haha

aalvarado87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no, please don't start the tang police thing on R2R. Once reason I left ReefCentral cause I was so tired of hearing that phrase. haha

Seriously i really can't stand when people start that.

Do you have a quarantine tank? It would be best if you could pull him out and treat him. If you go this route do be patient I wasn't added the fish to my display and once again here came the ich. It was really frustrating to the point I took the powder blue back to the lfs. and didn't add any fish to my tank for an extremely long time. I finally added a fish and the ich cycle had died off. Any how just remember do not add any kind of copper to your display to treat the ich as it will stay in the tank.

raymond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they sure do grow fast, and right after i got mine i thought he was dead but he was just asleep on his side wedged inbetween 2 rocks, it is crazy how they sleep

OP
OP
T

Tim&Amanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The route that we took was dropped the salinity to 1.018 and added a herbal conditioner. Also have been giving freshwater dips every other day for 2 minutes. Also giving seaweed soaked with kent garlic extract. He is still very shy but is eating immediately. I am also feeding him about 10-15 sprectra pellets every day.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 30 15.4%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 46 23.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 111 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back