Blue tang & ich

preston469

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Hope all is well, I just recently picked up a blue tang from my lfs and quarantined him for 10 days so I threw him in my display tank and noticed a little spot on him. I tried to get pictures but he is acting crazy when i put him in my mini holding area.

I guess reset a holding tank for him, I tried googling several different times on the best treatment and couldn't find the best way to treat this I will try and get a better picture when he calms down.

Please let me know what the best way to treat this.

OP
OP
P

preston469

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uploadfromtaptalk1404788444924.jpg

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the time being, leave him if he's eating and not showing any signs of Ich. Meaning he's not flashing on the substrate or rocks.
If its Ich, you just introduced it to the tank anyways, so theres no reason to yank him out unless he comes down with a bad case and needs treatment.

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used copper power on my purple tang. This was last week. I'm leaving him in there for six weeks. It helped a lot. Obviously in a hospital tank because it's copper. But I also have a blue regal tang the size of yours and he scratches and stuff but he eats and give him all the food he eats and he's still alive I've had him for about three months. But I would recommend to leave the fish in there for another week or so. Cuz if you move him now it'll be more stress on the fish and your other fish might get ich. But I'd recommend use copper power.

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to QT all the fish now with a proper QT procedure and leave your display fallow. I am a believer that Ich will NOT be present in a system when fish are QT'd properly.

In the future you will want to QT for longer than a 10 day period.

Orbela

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert but those white spots look huge to be ich.

OP
OP
P

preston469

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the reply's, This morning when I woke up I noticed him scratching and swimming awkwardly so I moved him to a small holding tank before I left to work and he passed when I got home :( so lesson learned on my part.

stiky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the future...tangs are very susceptible to ich. They are little stress balls!! However, I have had a couple hippos get ich and pull through. It's gonna happen. Just quarantine properly and he'll get through it.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 41 22.5%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 105 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back