OP
OP
blkhwkz

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could kick myself, this whole QT time I have had salt water mixed and on hand. Meant to make some more yesterday after using it up, but didn't. With 500w of heaters and 2 MJ900 mixing, I should be able to have 14 gallons ready pretty quick though.

Since tank holds 27 gallons after displacement my plan is 2 packets of Furan-2 which is enough for 20 gallons (don't want to OD,) plus the metro and then tomorrow the kanaplex. LFS owner is going to get back to me when he gets back to the store to see if he has any kanaplex there so might be able to get it tonight. The rally won't be here until Thursday. Amazon is already preparing to ship the kanaplex for overnight so either I will have some tonight or tomorrow for sure.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could kick myself, this whole QT time I have had salt water mixed and on hand. Meant to make some more yesterday after using it up, but didn't. With 500w of heaters and 2 MJ900 mixing, I should be able to have 14 gallons ready pretty quick though.

Since tank holds 27 gallons after displacement my plan is 2 packets of Furan-2 which is enough for 20 gallons (don't want to OD,) plus the metro and then tomorrow the kanaplex. LFS owner is going to get back to me when he gets back to the store to see if he has any kanaplex there so might be able to get it tonight. The rally won't be here until Thursday. Amazon is already preparing to ship the kanaplex for overnight so either I will have some tonight or tomorrow for sure.

You sound like you know what you're doing, but please be careful to not overdose those meds. They'll kill. I should know...I OD my Kole Tang with Furan/Kana/Metro mix in a 20g long (which is really only 18 gallons).

OP
OP
blkhwkz

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sound like you know what you're doing, but please be careful to not overdose those meds. They'll kill. I should know...I OD my Kole Tang with Furan/Kana/Metro mix in a 20g long (which is really only 18 gallons).

Thanks, that's why I figured I would keep the Furan a little lower and maybe even the other 2 just under recommended doses since there will be 3 meds at once. And the air pump is good for a 150 gallon tank, so there will be no issues with not enough Oxygen in the tank.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, that's why I figured I would keep the Furan a little lower and maybe even the other 2 just under recommended doses since there will be 3 meds at once. And the air pump is good for a 150 gallon tank, so there will be no issues with not enough Oxygen in the tank.

Good plan. Better to under-dose and be safe than sorry. Keep us posted. [emoji227]

OP
OP
blkhwkz

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish for combining furan, metro and kanaplex should I follow the directions for the furan that says dose 24 hours later and 25% water change after 48 hours? I know the metro is dose every 48 hours and the same with kanaplex. I did a ~50% water change and added the furan and metro, dosed for 20 gallons in 27 gallons of water. Still waiting on the LFS to let me know about the kanaplex or else I will have it tomorrow at the latest.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish for combining furan, metro and kanaplex should I follow the directions for the furan that says dose 24 hours later and 25% water change after 48 hours? I know the metro is dose every 48 hours and the same with kanaplex. I did a ~50% water change and added the furan and metro, dosed for 20 gallons in 27 gallons of water. Still waiting on the LFS to let me know about the kanaplex or else I will have it tomorrow at the latest.

Yes, follow the dosing instructions for each product but time your water changes so the fish gets maximum exposure time to each medication. You can go a little longer than 48 hrs (for example) on the water changes.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from him "swimming sideways" he looks totally normal. I don't see any problems just from his color and appearance. I agree, go ahead and do the prazi and see how he does. Monitor him closely though.
I agree. I suspect the reason for the behavior change and perhaps some color change is stress related to the water changes. The fish looks healthy, and hippo are a strange fish that tend to lay around when stressed when there aren't many places to wedge and hide :)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also regarding your yellow tang I agree 100% with the advice from Humblefish

OP
OP
blkhwkz

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the advice. LFS did not have Kanaplex when I went, but I will have it tomorrow by noon from Amazon. I did end up walking out with a pretty nice sized Tahitian maxima clam, funny how that happens :D The yellow tang is still going, actually swimming around and more active than it has been. My Ruby Reef Rally won't be here until Thursday and I am going to do a bath in that for 90 minutes if he isn't looking better.

OP
OP
blkhwkz

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tang didn't make it, blue tang is still laying on it's side hiding, but alive. Just need to get it eating soon.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tang didn't make it, blue tang is still laying on it's side hiding, but alive. Just need to get it eating soon.
Sorry to hear he didn't make it. Some of those bacterial infections move incredibly quickly. :(

I hope the blue makes it!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet its a gram negative infection, those are very nasty. Sorry for your loss. :(

OP
OP
blkhwkz

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, just going over my QT stuff in my head to figure out if I did anything that can be done differently in the future. That fish was covered in ich so bad I never thought it would survive that. So for it to get past the ich and then an infection just makes me wonder if there was something I didn't do right. Since the blue tang is still alive and not showing any signs of infection I don't think it was a water quality issue or anything like that. If nothing else, the last 7 weeks, I have learned a lot about fish disease and treatment which will only make me more successful with my current and future fish. Thanks to everyone that has posted on this forum and helped me learn. Special thanks to @Humblefish for answering my late night PM's when I had to go fallow and get the fish to QT and had lots of beginner questions. I was told sooner or later I would learn to QT, made it 4 tanks and nearly 2 years before I learned the hard way.

DT is fallow 4 more weeks, then I will sterilize the QT and get it back up and running. Going to keep it constantly running. Next yellow tang I now have CP and pretty much every other med I could possibly need on hand. Think I am going to setup a biocube 14 that is just sitting here as QT for any wrasses or anthias I get. Then I can be watching those in there, while yellow tang gets CP in the regular QT.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for it to get past the ich and then an infection just makes me wonder if there was something I didn't do right. Since the blue tang is still alive and not showing any signs of infection I don't think it was a water quality issue or anything like that.

Unfortunately it was nothing you did wrong. Bacteria are everywhere and not something you can prevent from being in the water. Parasites like this create teeny tiny holes in the fish's skin that allows the bacteria access. Sometimes it is a gram negative bacteria which is really difficult to identify quickly and treat correctly.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@blkhwkz You will suffer setbacks when you first dive into QT-ing fish. However, you will learn from those mistakes and get better and better each time you do it. I can't tell you how many great "SPS farmers" I know who couldn't keep a mushroom alive when I first met them. ;)

You can get great advice, read until your eyes get blurry, but I firmly believe this: WE ONLY LEARN BY DOING.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back