Blue Tang Issues

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TOD: 6:53pm :-(

Thanks again all; appreciate the input and feedback. Things I've learned through this:
- Don't drip acclimate if I'm doing QT - just match bag params and go.
- Keeping meds on-hand is worthwhile, because they sometimes are needed on short notice.
- Even from good suppliers, "small" grade fish are more delicate than larger fish. New reefers (eg; me) should spend a bit more for the next size up to improve chances of success.
- R2R is a great community filled with awesome people.

I knew that last part, of course, but it's always fun to learn that one again, no matter the cause!
That makes me sad. :(

It was an impressive effort on your part. I was really hoping the bottle of wine would help!

How are the other fish looking?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TOD: 6:53pm :-(

Thanks again all; appreciate the input and feedback. Things I've learned through this:
- Don't drip acclimate if I'm doing QT - just match bag params and go.
- Keeping meds on-hand is worthwhile, because they sometimes are needed on short notice.
- Even from good suppliers, "small" grade fish are more delicate than larger fish. New reefers (eg; me) should spend a bit more for the next size up to improve chances of success.
- R2R is a great community filled with awesome people.

I knew that last part, of course, but it's always fun to learn that one again, no matter the cause!

Sorry for your loss, it sounds like that one arrived in pretty bad shape and was not savable.

OP
OP
DLHDesign

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was an impressive effort on your part.
Thank you; you're kind to say so.
How are the other fish looking?
All of the others are looking better - more active and breathing normal. I'm still not witnessing a lot of eating (nori sheets are in, frozen and pellet food a few times already), however, so I've fired up the brine shrimp hatchery and dropped in a batch. Once I've got some of those ready, I'll dump those in to (hopefully) get them eating.

Visibly, they are all looking healthy - no signs of ick that I've noticed. The largest concern I have is actually for the Naso - it's got a few pale patches. It arrived this way, however, so I have not considered it of enough concern to do anything about but monitor, but it's likely a good idea to show just in case:
IMG_2157.JPG

Again; I don't know if this is normal coloration variations or something to be concerned about.

(You can also see my attempt at a nori delivery system; a PVC pipe wrapped with nori, then wrapped with plastic netting (cantaloupe bag) and rubber-banded. They were a pain to put together and not easy to clean, so I've gone back to just floating a piece in each section. I'll get a clip or something for the DT, of course.)

Note that even though this is, technically, the second tank of TTM, I'm holding off on adding Prazi until I get a replacement Blue and can start anew. For now, I'm in a holding pattern while the remaining three adjust.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All of the others are looking better - more active and breathing normal. I'm still not witnessing a lot of eating (nori sheets are in, frozen and pellet food a few times already), however, so I've fired up the brine shrimp hatchery and dropped in a batch. Once I've got some of those ready, I'll dump those in to (hopefully) get them eating.

Visibly, they are all looking healthy - no signs of ick that I've noticed. The largest concern I have is actually for the Naso - it's got a few pale patches. It arrived this way, however, so I have not considered it of enough concern to do anything about but monitor, but it's likely a good idea to show just in case:
IMG_2157.JPG

Again; I don't know if this is normal coloration variations or something to be concerned about.

(You can also see my attempt at a nori delivery system; a PVC pipe wrapped with nori, then wrapped with plastic netting (cantaloupe bag) and rubber-banded. They were a pain to put together and not easy to clean, so I've gone back to just floating a piece in each section. I'll get a clip or something for the DT, of course.)

Note that even though this is, technically, the second tank of TTM, I'm holding off on adding Prazi until I get a replacement Blue and can start anew. For now, I'm in a holding pattern while the remaining three adjust.

Naso discolor frequently with stress, but they also lose blotchy colors if they get ich or velvet. Monitor this closely.

Watch ammonia closely as even small levels will kill fish especially new arrivals

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checking in on the progress this morning, I am on EST and crashed early and did not read the progress last night. How are the rest of the swimming kid doing today?

jenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_2157.JPG

I have seen fish do this when stressed, hopefully not parasites. Watch closely and see if it comes and goes or is it there all the time, might be a clue as to if it is an ongoing issue.

OP
OP
DLHDesign

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is doing well. I added a cube of Spirulina Brine Shrimp into the tank and that seemed to provoke a positive reaction from two of the three (Naso and Kole). Hard to see if the Yellow is reacting. Can't say that they actually ate anything (their mouths are so small!), but at least there was something...

Live brine shrimp are still hatching. Should be ready for dinner-time meal, I expect.

GurpM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green pea's should help it... It helped my lion fish when it started doing something similar

GurpM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't read all the posts, just realized the fish died. It's difficult to bring a fish that small back from that. . My lion was the size of a soccer ball, and it recovered only to die a few months later from the same thing

OP
OP
DLHDesign

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looks like the Naso has turned for the worse. I've been feeding in live-hatched brine shrimp and it appears to be eating, but the white spots appear to have gotten a little more pronounced and the breathing is a bit heavier. Spending more time at or near the surface, whereas it used to be spending more time lower in the tank.
Ammonia is <0.02 according to the badge. Last transfer was on Friday and it seemed to be doing well enough then. The Yellow and Kole in the same QT are looking and acting fine.

I'll get a new picture/video and will run some more defined tests on the water, but any suggestions as I'm doing that?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looks like the Naso has turned for the worse. I've been feeding in live-hatched brine shrimp and it appears to be eating, but the white spots appear to have gotten a little more pronounced and the breathing is a bit heavier. Spending more time at or near the surface, whereas it used to be spending more time lower in the tank.
Ammonia is <0.02 according to the badge. Last transfer was on Friday and it seemed to be doing well enough then. The Yellow and Kole in the same QT are looking and acting fine.

I'll get a new picture/video and will run some more defined tests on the water, but any suggestions as I'm doing that?
Are you dosing the metroplex and vitamin M?

OP
OP
DLHDesign

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing the metroplex and vitamin M?
No; I've been dripping in some VitaChem, but that does not cover Vitamin M. No metroplex either.

Just dosed in a scoop of metroplex (it's a 10gal QT). Not sure I have any Vitamin M on hand...

Also; have not added PraziPro at this point. I've not seen enough normal eating to feel comfortable adding in potential anti-eat meds. I'm seeing better eating today from the other two, however. PraziPro in as well? And reaction with that and Metroplex?

One thing to note is that we had a sick kid over the other day, which caused my wife to do a "complete clean" the other day. Lots of Lysol sprayed in the house; Clorox wipes on every surface, etc. I opened all the windows until the smell was gone (and then some), but I'm worried that something may have gotten into the tank(s) - I'm also noticing my rock nems moving about in the DT (unusual as they've not moved in months). The latter may be unrelated, however (my lights have been acting up recently, so I attribute it more to that).

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 42 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back