I don't think it looks like that because it's big areas not just small areas

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it looks like that because it's big areas not just small areas

It sounds like a nasty bacterial infection spreading from fish to fish.

I would add Furan-2 to your order list and also Ruby Reef Rally. The former is another antibiotic which can be combined with Kanaplex + Metroplex; the latter is an antiseptic bath which can help your fish manage their infections until the antibiotics kick in.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fish seriously looks like he has velvet from the picture. If they all have it then I lean even more towards velvet. Infections are usually secondary to parasites and it's entirely possible they have infection as well and that certainly needs to be treated as per Humble's instructions above.

OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks but if it is velvet then will these medications take care of it or do they have to be treated with copper

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks but if it is velvet then will these medications take care of it or do they have to be treated with copper

Velvet can only be treated with copper or CP in a QT.

A 5 min FW dip, followed up by a 45 min formalin bath or 90 min acriflavine bath provides temporary relief.

Blue links above provide more detailed info on each treatment.

OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think that it's velvet would the fish be eating at day 3 of this because there eating like pig's still

OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that velvet would kill a fish within a couple of days

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think that it's velvet would the fish be eating at day 3 of this because there eating like pig's still
I thought that velvet would kill a fish within a couple of days

Typically yes, velvet does kill within days. However, there are a few other factors to consider:
  1. Certain fish are capable of developing temporary or even permanent immunity to velvet (or any other disease). These fish likely had a brush with a sublethal concentration of the pathogen either in the wild or in another tank, so their immune system is familiar with how to defend against it. There is still a battle to be won or loss here, and even if the immune system emerges victorious it is likely the fish will always be a carrier capable of infecting other fish it shares water with. Immunity cannot be transferred, but diseases are, so each & every fish must fight their own battle with them.
  2. If a fish was exposed to subtherapeutic copper before you bought him (LFS or wholesaler), then that can delay full blown symptoms from showing up. In some cases, by as much as 30 days.
  3. If a fish has been exposed to an herbal treatment that can cause unexplained phenomena to occur with diseases. I've seen them inexplicably "cure" certain diseases, delay symptoms, cause symptoms to look differently, etc. Of course, I've also seen herbal treatments do absolutely nothing and the fish dies.

OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw on eBay that someone is selling chloroquine phosphate for fish on there does that stuff work it says that it's 99.9 percent have you saw it on there if not Google chloroquine phosphate for fish on eBay and it will bring it up and take a look at it

OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And let me know thanks and there eating like pig's so I guess I have a little bit of time I guess if it is that but the medicines that I ordered yesterday will be here tomorrow and from what I read they should start working within a couple of days and if they don't i guess I'll buy the chloroquine phosphate off of there if you think it's the right stuff so please let me know thanks

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw on eBay that someone is selling chloroquine phosphate for fish on there does that stuff work it says that it's 99.9 percent have you saw it on there if not Google chloroquine phosphate for fish on eBay and it will bring it up and take a look at it

I wouldn't trust CP sourced from anywhere except a reputable human or animal pharmacy. They actually test their CP to ensure quality/purity. The guy on eBay buys his CP from a company that sources it from China, where QC standards can be questionable. It is also illegal what he is doing, because CP is FDA regulated and subject to DEA compliance. Which is why you need a Rx in order to obtain it (legally).

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone see what appears to be blood under the skin/scales near the tail fin area??

Have you ordered focus as well? It can help you bind the medication to the food if that's how you were planning to administer it...

What are your water parameters???

OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah on it's tail there is a red spot and I was wondering what it was and no I just ordered kanaplex and metroplex and it will be here today and I don't know how to dose it yet because I've never used it before

OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested the water 2 days ago but I didn't write them down but they were acceptable for fish only tank but for my reef tank I always keep track of everything but I'm gonna test the tank tomorrow because I've got alot to do today and I just changed 4 buckets of water yesterday out of a 125 gallon tank so tomorrow I'll test everything

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to go the route of metro/kanaplex and treat for bacteria, then you can certainly bind it to their food (you've mentioned that they are still eating well??). You would need a product called seachem focus to help it bind better. I treat prophylactically with these products while my fish are in QT, and I typically add it at a ratio of 1 scoop metro, 2 scoops kanaplex, and 5 scoops focus to a few tablespoons (3ish) of food.

Sometimes the fish aren't keen on the flavour, so I'll add a bit of garlic guard - though I do so sparingly since I've read that there is evidence it could cause liver damage. I also add selcon, which is basically like a really good vitamin supplement for the fish.

I am not an expert like @melpyr or @Humblefish, so I'd say that if you see anything that looks like Brook or velvet, do as they say and treat accordingly. It can kill pretty quickly!

If not, change out as much of your water as you can over the next week or two while treating for bacteria-related issues with the metro/kanaplex and keep a close watch for any behavioural changes.

Btw, have you noticed any flashing on the rocks?

When I don't have time to observe as closely as I'd like, I set up my nest cam and record their day so I can sit down with it at night and get a good idea of what's happening. It's been very helpful.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red spots on the body would be further evidence of a bacterial infection IME.

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see red in the tail fin and the dorsal fin, so I'd agree that there's something bacterial-related going on... Whether or not it's secondary to something else is what I can't tell from the picture...

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 121 74.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back