Booster Pump and Float Switch Install

Tracey Leeds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm preparing to install a booster pump on my RO/DI system. Our municipal water pressure is pitifully low. My current setup feeds the clean water into a small trash can, and the waste line down the drain connected to my washing machine. I manually turn the system on a ask Alexa to remind me when to turn it off. The clean water is then dumped into a much larger trash can next to my tank. This water runs my ATO and is also used for my 10% weekly water changes. It's about as basic as you can get.

I ordered a booster pump to bring the pressure up to 80 psi. The booster pump will turn on when I turn on the water feeding the pump. I would like to run my clean water line directly to the reservoir next to my tank and hook up a float switch that will turn off the water flowing into the booster pump when full. It sounds simple enough. This will involve moving the whole operation under my kitchen sink where it will be a few feet from the tank and where I will have access to a drain line and electric.

My question is this. Is my logic sound? Is this one of what I'm sure is more than one correct way to use a float switch in combination with a booster pump? If so, can you please recommend the proper equipment needed to make this possible? I thank you in advance for your help.

OP
OP
Tracey Leeds

Tracey Leeds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never mind everyone. I finally stumbled upon the Auto Shut-off kit at Bulk Reef Supply. Look like it will do the trick. Thanks.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also running a booster pump due to low water pressure. I use an AquaFX high flow pump kit which uses a float valve and a relay for the pump in conjunction with a high pressure automatic shutoff kit. The only other add on I use is a flush kit to regulate the pressure for the RO unit as the booster pump will not regulate the water pressure in the RO unit. I only make water once a week but when I turn the water on with the booster pump it will only shut the water off when the high pressure automatic shutoff is activated which works on water pressure created by a float valve. When the high pressure automatic shutoff is activated the relay for the booster pump will trip shutting it off. The actual water supply will remain on with my setup but the water will not flow through the unit unless the back pressure created by the float valve is relieved by the water level in the storage container dropping. I think your logic sounds good its just a matter of know what equipment you plan to install to control the water flow and booster pump.

OP
OP
Tracey Leeds

Tracey Leeds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply. The booster pump I purchased states that it will turn off when it detects a build up of pressure from the "tank"; i.e. the tank is full. I'm guessing the auto shut-off valve will do the same thing. I'm kind of locked in now. Wish me luck!!! Worse case scenario I have to add something after the fact to get the pump to shut off. I looked at your kit. It's nice how everything is integrated. I think my setup is much more piecemeal, but will allow me to achieve the goal I'm looking for.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply. The booster pump I purchased states that it will turn off when it detects a build up of pressure from the "tank"; i.e. the tank is full. I'm guessing the auto shut-off valve will do the same thing. I'm kind of locked in now. Wish me luck!!! Worse case scenario I have to add something after the fact to get the pump to shut off. I looked at your kit. It's nice how everything is integrated. I think my setup is much more piecemeal, but will allow me to achieve the goal I'm looking for.

Once you get everything together if you have anymore questions feel free to ask. When I was upgrading my RO/DI unit to auto shut off it helped to watch some of the videos of installs as there can be several new connections needed for it to work properly. Also welcome to Reef2Reef.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 76 71.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.8%
Back