Breaking news on Apex

Chad3407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you still need to use the power supply on the ats if it’s hooked to a apex? I currently run the ats stand alone but was unsure when hooked to the apex.

Dr.HarlemTutu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for $650 you can get the full apex “brain” $400 and an eb8 for $250. This is just 50 more than the apex el without having to abc the VDM. You can also do this slowly... if you have a classic... get the brain and then add the eb8. Just saying.

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for $650 you can get the full apex “brain” $400 and an eb8 for $250. This is just 50 more than the apex el without having to abc the VDM. You can also do this slowly... if you have a classic... get the brain and then add the eb8. Just saying.
then you add the price of the probes

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So without the 0-10v ports, do you have to buy that module to connect any 3rd party equipment for controllability, or is there a way to connect 3rd party stuff through other ports on the power bar?

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So without the 0-10v ports, do you have to buy that module to connect any 3rd party equipment for controllability, or is there a way to connect 3rd party stuff through other ports on the power bar?

No. There are a number of ways that 3rd party products can be controlled by the Apex. Some of those products work through 0-10v ports (i.e. Kessil, Reef Octopus, etc.). Some interface wirelessly via a special module (Ecotech, older AI), and then there are IoTa devices that connect via the home network (WiFi). Just release using this was the AI Prime and HD support.

wmo168

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think adding novelty features, like Alexa support, is not something most users will use for this type of application.

Personally, I don't like those devices listening to what's going on at all times in my house. Yea, it only responds to key words, but it's always listening. I shut off the "OK Google" voice features on my phone also.

Removing the 0-10v ports was a bigger issue because that's what most 3rd party hardware operates on for any controllability... return pumps, lights, skimmers... correct?

Maybe to bring down hardware costs Neptune could implement a subscription service for Fusion and the app. Kind of how Microsoft and Sony do for their game consoles to operate online.

So reduce the price of hardware but charge $50/year for Fusion/app support. That covers your R&D for all of the software enhancements and can bring the price back down to earth without removing features that most people would use.

Are you crazy asking for subscription service? $50 a year is a lot on top of all the other things in life..... You are like back in the Tivo lifetime service vs monthly service. You want a piece of mind that you dont have additional recurring monthly bills to worry in the future. You rather take a hit on the higher price hardware and not worry about it down the road. Hardware for subscription service will be worthless if they switch the model. Used Apex unit will be worthless going that route especially the Apex Fusion .

If they want subscription, they can give away hardware free and lock in the contract for X years? Why did NEST don't charge monthly fee.. Because people will get rid of it and move on. Cloud Cam recording storage monitor? Not many people pay the monthly fee for extra stuff.

There is also service that test your water each month or the Seneye which is not doing very well with monthly service fee on their product to monitor PAR etc.. or make you buy their replacement kit each month etc...

Last edited:

wmo168

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry was off track on my "subscription" response...,

BUT

I am currently a APEX Classic User and I just order an ApexEL online with discount!! , now I have to figure out the pain to move all my setting and history from Classic to EL...

Wish me luck!

P.S.
How to redeem your Coupon (Not naming the site but you can do google search):
Shop for eligible items. (See below for exclusions).
Pay for your item by 10:00 PM Pacific Time on August 8, 2018
Enter the Coupon code in the redemption code field: PRONTO15

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving programming over is not difficult, but depending on how crazy you went with the classic it is time consuming. Took me the better part of a day ..... but I'm crazy. WXM is the only module that proved uncooperative.

Goby-won

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question: Have the designers of the power outlets ever seen the power cords of our equipment. Most power heads, and the like, have these very large cumbersome plug heads. How are you supposed to fit 8 plugs into those outlets? I am a RKL and I have enough problems fitting them side by side let alone one on top of the other.

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the power strip on the apex is better designed than the rk, they are spaced pretty well, i only have 1 plug in my setup with a fat annoying plug

n4soccer06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a newbie, that has just purchased a used tank and sump. The thought of having a Apex controller that would be able to assist me as I learn how to take care of everything is very exciting until you see the cost. For me, I still have to purchase everything, from the return pump to skimmer to ATO. Having/wanting to add the cost of an Apex is every hard to justify. I'm guessing most newbies are in a similar spot as me with not having a huge starting budget. As much as I want an ApexEL controller for the start of my tank, I haven't convinced myself (non the less my wife) on it because of its price. I have read though all of Terrance's posts, I do under why they are priced where they are. With that said, this is just my newbie 2 cents.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a newbie, that has just purchased a used tank and sump. The thought of having a Apex controller that would be able to assist me as I learn how to take care of everything is very exciting until you see the cost. For me, I still have to purchase everything, from the return pump to skimmer to ATO. Having/wanting to add the cost of an Apex is every hard to justify. I'm guessing most newbies are in a similar spot as me with not having a huge starting budget. As much as I want an ApexEL controller for the start of my tank, I haven't convinced myself (non the less my wife) on it because of its price. I have read though all of Terrance's posts, I do under why they are priced where they are. With that said, this is just my newbie 2 cents.
Yes they are a little expensive i ran for many years without out one, You can forsure start without out one. I have had them now for 3 years, now that i have 2 i will not run without one. Good luck

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having/wanting to add the cost of an Apex is every hard to justify. I'm guessing most newbies are in a similar spot as me

I'd say you were very much correct. Many people, even those that are far from 'newbie' status, don't run controllers. It's unnecessary, expensive, and the benefits (beyond easy temp and pH readings) are difficult to define.

And then... you'll look at people like me. Been in this game for several decades, never needed a controller. Picked one up on a lark, really... BUT... now that I have one, I can't imagine EVER running a reef system without one again. Properly applied, this technology can have a dramatic impact on your hobby. I know it has on mine.

Meldium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a Reefer for 7 years. For 5 of the first years I didn't have one. I have the classic that runs my system very well. I honestly don't see myself without a controller. But for the price I still hesitate to realize I'm going to have to upgrade. This Apex is great and benefits are there to have one. but when the classic becomes no longer in service... believe me, I won't be buying a new system. Cost too much. The system can run without internet. Just more of a headache to operate.
I'll never leave the hobby but I won't bother buying another Apex or another controller. I did well for my first 5 years without one. Even controllers fail, so 100% piece of mind... don't count on it.
I don't like the $$ point on many things in this hobby. But what else can you do?
It's the technology that makes it expensive. And no automatic equipment is nothing without software. This how I feel with the entire thing. And the subscription? Well that's an entire different discussion.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I am a Reefer for 7 years. For 5 of the first years I didn't have one. I have the classic that runs my system very well. I honestly don't see myself without a controller. But for the price I still hesitate to realize I'm going to have to upgrade. This Apex is great and benefits are there to have one. but when the classic becomes no longer in service... believe me, I won't be buying a new system. Cost too much. The system can run without internet. Just more of a headache to operate.
I'll never leave the hobby but I won't bother buying another Apex or another controller. I did well for my first 5 years without one. Even controllers fail, so 100% piece of mind... don't count on it.
I don't like the $$ point on many things in this hobby. But what else can you do?
It's the technology that makes it expensive. And no automatic equipment is nothing without software. This how I feel with the entire thing. And the subscription? Well that's an entire different discussion.

In essence, we are paying for technology and future use with new components. I had the classic which was stubborn to set up. I bit the bullet and bought the new apex. It was pricey, yes but looking at number of times i no longer have to reset Wi-Fi and the ease of setup and making adjustments.... It was wirth it

Meldium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has their uses for controllers. There Tech Junkies as well. Imagine I'm still rocking the Galaxy S5, I have no use for their other products although I really thinks every item in their lineup has their role and purpose. But will I dish out the $$ for it? Absolutely not. There are many ways to Reef. To depend on technology also spoils the hobbyist and becomes lazy in other aspects. Like I said, I did it before without the tech. So I have the Classic for 2 years now. But I guess I waited too long to get one. Not investing any $$ on any other controller. I will not even update firmware so that i make sure it's still usable just as it is when Neptune decides to discontinue the classic support and secretly decide to sneak something in to make the unit less usable. There was a time I lost Internet for 2 weeks for hurricane Sandy. I had just gotten the system so i learned to manually make changes with the classic so I'm good. Good thing it came with the display unit.
Like I said I love the system but will I upgrade the system for things I won't even purchase because of price? No thank you.
Hope you are happy with yours, I'm happy with mine.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 37 28.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 13 9.9%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back