Breathing fast post meds

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re-reading this.. I have been running hypo and have not been monitoring PH, and both times the rapid breathing started was during the sterilization where I had to mix up new water very quickly.

Anyone know the effects of low PH on fish?

How long are you letting the salt mix in the water before using it? And yes, everyone I know who does hypo constantly has to keep adding "baked" baking soda to the water to buffer pH.

Figured I'd post a video of the Foxface breathing fast, see if I'm missing something. I started the video on the clown and noticed what could be some white stringy poop. Very frustrated at the moment..
The white stringy poop means intestinal worms (new problem). If Prazipro didn't knock it out (did you do 2 rounds of treatment?), then your next move is to food soak metro or dose it into the water.

OP
OP
CJBuckeyes

CJBuckeyes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long are you letting the salt mix in the water before using it? And yes, everyone I know who does hypo constantly has to keep adding "baked" baking soda to the water to buffer pH.

The white stringy poop means intestinal worms (new problem). If Prazipro didn't knock it out (did you do 2 rounds of treatment?), then your next move is to food soak metro or dose it into the water.

Generally I let my water mix at least 12 hours. Because I had the fish sitting in a bucket with Rally for 12 hours, I let it mix ~2 hrs with a very large powerhead.

I did do two rounds of Prazi during my first round of treatment with CP, 5 days apart. I can start dosing metro again to address the clowns. More concerned about the fox face at the moment though...

OP
OP
CJBuckeyes

CJBuckeyes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pre-treatment
IMG_7908.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the clowns have intestinal worms, odds are the foxface has them too. Metro is supposed to also treat brook & uronema, so there's that added benefit just in case brook is still in play.

OP
OP
CJBuckeyes

CJBuckeyes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the clowns have intestinal worms, odds are the foxface has them too. Metro is supposed to also treat brook & uronema, so there's that added benefit just in case brook is still in play.

Do you think this could be causing the rapid breathing?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think this could be causing the rapid breathing?

Its possible, if the fish was being severely impacted by the worms. Most internal parasite issues are mild, as fish diseases go, but a high concentration of worms in the gut or an aggressive species could change that. Typically though, heavy breathing in fish is caused by parasites/worms in the gills or an environmental factor (ammonia, low oxygen).

OP
OP
CJBuckeyes

CJBuckeyes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After watching the foxface very closely during the first day or two of treatment, I'm pretty sure it was flukes. Somehow they survived two previous rounds of Prazi, CP, and copper. This time around three days after dosing Prazi the breathing returned to normal. Looks great now. Have completed a second treatment, going to start the third and hopefully final one this weekend. Thanks again for the help on this one!

Any idea how long to dose the metro for internal parasites that my clowns have?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea how long to dose the metro for internal parasites that my clowns have?

It can be as little as 10 days or up to a couple weeks even. You just have to watch them and see if they are acting and pooping normal

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are also prazi resistant strains of flukes; for those you have to use hypo or treat with formalin.

OP
OP
CJBuckeyes

CJBuckeyes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not been able to kick internal parasites. I did 14 days of metro dosed every two days into the water. After that, I switched to adding metro to the food for the last 14 days. I'm still finding white strands of poop in the bottom of the QT when I clean.

Can these parasites exist outside of the host? My fallow period for velvet/flukes is finished, and I'd really like to get them back into the DT and continue with medicated food. 30 water changes in the last 60 days. Ugh.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not been able to kick internal parasites. I did 14 days of metro dosed every two days into the water. After that, I switched to adding metro to the food for the last 14 days. I'm still finding white strands of poop in the bottom of the QT when I clean.

Can these parasites exist outside of the host? My fallow period for velvet/flukes is finished, and I'd really like to get them back into the DT and continue with medicated food. 30 water changes in the last 60 days. Ugh.

I believe there is another med out there for internal parasites that @Humblefish recommends sometimes. I can't, for the life of me, remember what it is though.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0