OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a weekend. We had so many problems at work. I got called in at 3:45pm on Friday. I was home for a total of 7 hours between then and 7am this morning. Not exactly a great time. I did get a nap in after I got home this morning and pushed to get at least a little wood work done. Didn't trust myself to work on the armoire but I did work on the stand.

It is ready for plywood cladding.
stand.JPG

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning to apply a stain or some sort of waterproofing?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning to apply a stain or some sort of waterproofing?
I'm going to paint the inside and stain the outside. The outside will also get a few coats of poly.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Flexseal on the inside of mine. Very glad I did as I’ve had my sump overflow.
Did you use it over paint or on the bare wood?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided on another equipment change. I'm tired of fighting my skimmer and if it is this bad on a 120g system it just wasn't going to work on a 180g system. So, I placed an order for a Deltec SCA 1660. I will update my equipment list on the front.

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed you updated your original post with the new skimmer -- which one did you have before that was causing problems?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed you updated your original post with the new skimmer -- which one did you have before that was causing problems?
A Bubble Magus Curve 7.

It really isn't a bad skimmer and when dialed in it does work well. It is also very quiet and easy to clean. With my pushing its capacity it was very touchy and keeping it locked in is difficult. I wouldn't discourage someone from using this skimmer but I wouldn't put it on a tank over 90g.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should be a busy weekend. I have had a bunch of deliveries this week with the last stuff coming today.
I need to pick up a few more pieces of wood on my way home from work but should have the stand built some time tomorrow morning. I want to get it painted/stained in the afternoon and hopefully a first coat of Poly tomorrow evening. If I can do one coat of poly each morning and night I should be ready to bring the tank home and get it on the stand by Wednesday. A few days to do the plumbing and electrical and I should still be able to have it swapped out by Christmas.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take lots of pics/videos!!
Like pictures of a brand new Deltec SCA 1660?
IMG_0781.JPG

I need to decide if I am going to run this on my old system to break it in.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like pictures of a brand new Deltec SCA 1660?
IMG_0781.JPG

I need to decide if I am going to run this on my old system to break it in.
I would it’s what I did with mine this way all the “kinks” are worked out u know the proper height and so on so it’s one less thing to be concerned about when u set up the new tank

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would it’s what I did with mine this way all the “kinks” are worked out u know the proper height and so on so it’s one less thing to be concerned about when u set up the new tank
Makes great sense! Might add that to tomorrows to do list.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, did a bunch of work on the stand after work today.

First I got the bottom cut out and installed.
st1.JPG

Then the sides and front covering went on.

st2.JPG

st3.JPG

I am making the center column removable to get the sump in and out. That is also why there are no 2x4's in the front. Here it is clamped in place.
st4.JPG

And this is as much as I can to for now. The decorative trim pieces and doors can't go on until it is in my office. The stand is 31" deep and the door frame it has to fit through is 32" wide.

Tomorrow starts the sanding, painting and staining.

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stand looks amazing. Where are you going to mount your electronics?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stand looks amazing. Where are you going to mount your electronics?
Thanks, but it has a long way to go. I'm actually a little nervous about staining it tomorrow. I've never used elm wood before. I almost always use oak. But, if it doesn't take stain well I plan on painting it black.

I think I am going to mount 2 shelves and a bracket on the top left side inside the tank. I was going to build a new piece of furniture to put next to the tank for the electronics. Now that I'm not using Apex, I don't need that much space. The Profilux controller, and especially the dosers, have a much more convenient profile. I did get the touch screen for the Profilux, and I will mount that outside the tank on the stand.

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! If I was to build one like that, I think I’d put a large door on one end, then put a plywood wall inside with about 6” of room so I could separate all my electronics from the sump area.

It does look great!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! If I was to build one like that, I think I’d put a large door on one end, then put a plywood wall inside with about 6” of room so I could separate all my electronics from the sump area.

It does look great!
If I had access to both sides of my aquarium I would do it in a heartbeat. Its a very good method. Unfortunately, one side will be around 8" off a wall and the access to the other side isn't completely open, either. I may still have gone that route if I were sticking with an Apex and dealt with the access issues. Where the Apex is better for flatter mounting, the GHL stuff is a bit deeper.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 126 75.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back