OP
Dejavu

Dejavu

SPS Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the corner didn't come out that well, so I plan to use some dura-glass to make it flush with the door.

IMG_1171.jpg

As mention before I plan on using pocket door rail for a light mover. I have to say it worked out better than I thought. Here is the rail mounted to the top of the canopy. I cut i 5" short so I could roll the reflectors out for cleaning if needed.

IMG_1163.jpg

I had some issue with the reflector tilting in testing. The problem was solve by adding two 2x2" to the side of the support. As you can see the reflector sit pretty level.

IMG_1165.jpg

Here's a better pic of how the roller sit.

IMG_1166.jpg

I-K@ndY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subscribed to this thread already .. :D

roscoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. That stand reminds me of mines. Looks almost just like it. Is this a in wall? Are you going to have an enclosed canopy? Here is something to think about. I don't really want to run a chiller just because it is such an energy hog but I have one on hand just in case. I have my canopy suspended over the tank about 15'' resting on stainless steal tube I had a local reefer weld for me. It really really helps with heat issues. It is 92 degrees outside right now and 85 degrees in my house and my tank is only 81 degrees with Dual 250w and 400w halides on. My filtration is in my garage too and it gets really warm in there on these hot days. I just have a small 8'' fan that blows air into the sump to cool the water.

OP
OP
Dejavu

Dejavu

SPS Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. That stand reminds me of mines. Looks almost just like it. Is this a in wall? Are you going to have an enclosed canopy? Here is something to think about. I don't really want to run a chiller just because it is such an energy hog but I have one on hand just in case. I have my canopy suspended over the tank about 15'' resting on stainless steal tube I had a local reefer weld for me. It really really helps with heat issues. It is 92 degrees outside right now and 85 degrees in my house and my tank is only 81 degrees with Dual 250w and 400w halides on. My filtration is in my garage too and it gets really warm in there on these hot days. I just have a small 8'' fan that blows air into the sump to cool the water.

It isn't going to be in wall, I wish but it just didn't work well in the new house. For the canopy the top and back will remain open. It will sit on the tank for now. I might go with a fixture down the road, but funding isn't going to allow that now.

Living in Michigan and having the tank in the basement I have never needed a chiller. I hope that's the case with this tank. In the past I have been able to keep temps of 81 in the summer. Thank for the info.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking great! Keep it up!

On a side note I am using the same exact "light rail." My reflectors tilt a little as well, but you don't even notice when the lights are lit.

OP
OP
Dejavu

Dejavu

SPS Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great! Keep it up!

On a side note I am using the same exact "light rail." My reflectors tilt a little as well, but you don't even notice when the lights are lit.

Thanks, are you having problems with the Nylon Rollers and heat. It has been a little concern that they might melt.

OP
OP
Dejavu

Dejavu

SPS Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well today was a long day already. A good friend, Nick (mayran) stopped over to help me finish the laminate. I have to say it came out better than I thought it would, IMO :). I'll let you judge for yourself.

First we need to fix a few corners to prep for the laminate. Mainly this one.

IMG_1171.jpg

I use a product called duraglass, which is a fiber glass car filler. It a two part solution that heat up and hardens. It get hard quick too.

IMG_1185.jpg

To prep I drill a few hole so that the duraglass would would have a better bond with the wood.

IMG_1184.jpg

...and than added the duraglass with all the seams taped off.

IMG_1186.jpg

I forgot the finished picture, but it was sanded with 40 grit and it came out great.

OP
OP
Dejavu

Dejavu

SPS Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a lot of sanding the stand face and canopy was ready for laminate. If you haven't done laminate before, which this was my first time both the back of the laminate and the wood gets glued. The glue needs 15min to dry and it's a one time deal once the laminate touches the wood.

The laminate needs to be cut about an inch bigger all around. After that it gets routed .

IMG_1182.jpg

Nick hard at work :D.

IMG_1187.jpg

OP
OP
Dejavu

Dejavu

SPS Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.... and the finished produce. Almost I need to finish the doors.

IMG_1189.jpg

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

IMG_1193.jpg

A BIG THANKS to Nick for taking the time to help me :D !

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks, are you having problems with the Nylon Rollers and heat. It has been a little concern that they might melt.

Not at all! I am running (3) 250w MH's and (2) 110w VHO's and they have been fine for several months now.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. Its nice to see the build pics. I know for me that is half the fun of getting a new tank is setting it up the way I want it.

OP
OP
Dejavu

Dejavu

SPS Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the finished stand. All the doors are mount with European style hings. I;m sure glad that I'm done routering for awhile :).

IMG_1206.jpg

IMG_1210.jpg

IMG_1207.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

IMG_1211.jpg

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brian that looks absolutely AMAZING... GREAT job man!!!

I'm headed West to check this out and check out Scott's place too once you're stocked :D

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one Fat cat, lol, and your friend Dejavu has one really nice looking frag tank. Your have done a bang up job on your tank stand, nice, clean looking work and your tank will look good sitting on it. I am really not understanding why you mounted your lights in the canopy on a rail, but is early and I haven't had my coffee yet.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats coming along nicely! Are you going to take a sharpy to the white specks between the laminate edges? Or do you just leave it?
I really like the look of that. I wasn't sure when I saw it in the process, but it looks sweet. It also looks like a royal pain to get right if you don't know what your doing!

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, that looks great! Can't wait to see it all come together with the tank!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.0%
Back