Brine hatchery

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used this in tank brine shrimp hatchery?
Is it good or is the standard shrimp hatchery with air pump better?
I’m gonna start feeding some live baby brine to my tank and came across this. I scoured YouTube and the internet for reviews but can’t find anything.
E04D9C57-529C-4CD5-B854-B833D1F849DE.jpeg

D249C664-0B06-409C-87AE-70BDE94565A2.jpeg

Thanks everyone!

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you already own that hatchery or still looking for a hatchery that works?
Looking for people that have this hatchery for an idea of how well the concept works. Don’t have a hatchery but ordered the brine eggs. I am considering this or just building my own DIY (soda bottle) but liked the idea of using the tank to hatch them and auto feed.

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for people that have this hatchery for an idea of how well the concept works. Don’t have a hatchery but ordered the brine eggs. I am considering this or just building my own DIY (soda bottle) but liked the idea of using the tank to hatch them and auto feed.

I have this dish from brineshrimp direct and so easy to use- no pump and no heater needed:

upload_2019-3-1_16-38-21.png

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be my next choice if buying one. How is your hatch rate? Much waste? Do you use full Reef salinity or do you dilute?

Its hard to tell. I use thier small scooper and following day I see a lot of Brine. I would say about 80%.
Dilute , 1.019.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only concerns with hatching methods is the separation of eggs from the shells and stagnant water. This one says the shells stay in the hatchery.
I use a hatching cone with an air pump. I also use de-caped eggs so no shell to worry about.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only concerns with hatching methods is the separation of eggs from the shells and stagnant water. This one says the shells stay in the hatchery.
I use a hatching cone with an air pump. I also use de-caped eggs so no shell to worry about.

This! If you want to get good yields of clean, seperated bbs that are free of shells, use a good cone hatchery.

This one is my “go to”

http://www.jehmco.com/html/brine_shrimp_hatcheries.html

Second one down with the included strainer. For $27 plus an air pump you will be up and running.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you get your de-capped brine?

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This! If you want to get good yields of clean, seperated bbs that are free of shells, use a good cone hatchery.

This one is my “go to”

http://www.jehmco.com/html/brine_shrimp_hatcheries.html

Second one down with the included strainer. For $27 plus an air pump you will be up and running.
How about this 10 gallon beast!!! A little overkill?
Saw this giant cone and wanted to share.
34E1CE97-D294-4016-8589-EE6B2046684D.png

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this dish from brineshrimp direct and so easy to use- no pump and no heater needed:

upload_2019-3-1_16-38-21.png

I have these this exact one, in fact I have two of them and them have been terrific in the raising of Banggai cardinal fry. BrineShrimp direct are a great company to work with. I love how easy it is to use. One concern that I would have for the in tank version is that once the brine shrimp hatch the capsules seem to 'foul' the water a bit and would not personally want that in my DT.

Also, I use the same salt water I prepare for the DT in the BS dish, don't do anything special. I get a high hatch rate and two dishes helps me keep a constant supply for what I was doing (feeding fry). Hope that helps.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you get your de-capped brine?
I got my last batch from Brine Shrimp Direct. Be sure to get the hatching kind. Not the feed kind.
Cold in Amarillo today? ahahahahaha

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my last batch from Brine Shrimp Direct. Be sure to get the hatching kind. Not the feed kind.
Cold in Amarillo today? ahahahahaha
It is cold. Gonna be for several more days too.

I understand that the regular brine shrimp cycsts last for years (decades even). Is the same true for the decapsulated? Trying to figure out how much I’ll want to buy. I’m not feeding fry so it’s just something I’m wanting to mess with and give my fish something live to eat.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that the regular brine shrimp cycsts last for years (decades even). Is the same true for the decapsulated? Trying to figure out how much I’ll want to buy. I’m not feeding fry so it’s just something I’m wanting to mess with and give my fish something live to eat.
The little bottle will last me a year in the fridge as long as they dont dry out. I use 1 scoop 1x a week. I think a scoop is about 1ml or so.
I put about 50 to 100ML of the hatch water in my tank 1 x a day. I cant be bothered to strain the shrimp out. I throw 3 frozen cubes of other food in the water to defrost on my old stove (has pilot light). I do have a 600g tank so a little bit of nutrients is not a big deal.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little bottle will last me a year in the fridge as long as they dont dry out. I use 1 scoop 1x a week. I think a scoop is about 1ml or so.
I put about 50 to 100ML of the hatch water in my tank 1 x a day. I cant be bothered to strain the shrimp out. I throw 3 frozen cubes of other food in the water to defrost on my old stove (has pilot light). I do have a 600g tank so a little bit of nutrients is not a big deal.
@lapin, have you tested the brine water for nutrient content (nitrate/phosphate)? I understand that the minimal amount will not affect a 600 gallon system with coral that consume it but I run a 120 with a 40 breeder sump and it’s fish only (nothing to consume the nutrients other than my filtration). Just wondering if you have any stats on the brine water. Where would the nutrients come from if using RO/DI and Instant Ocean salt mix? Do the shrimp cysts themselves contain these nutrients?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back