Bristleworms killing my cuc!!!

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen either of my turbo snails roaming around in a while. Well today I found a dead turbo with some sort of bristleworm in the shell. The other turbo is now missing and so is one of my two trochus snails. Below is a photo of the worm which I beleive might be a fireworm? Is there any way I could get help on an id or suggestions on how to combat this such as adding some predators?
1681406506501.png

1681406546974.png

Also I did start my tank with live rock from KP so there is a large chance of unwanted hitchikers like this. Many of my hermits have also been showing up dead ripped out of their shell so these guys may be eating them too. TIA.

OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thought I should give an update on this. After removing the large ones I thought I had gotten rid of them. Well my AOI zoa colony had been slowly dying polyp by polyp. I moved it to the front of the tank for observation and today I fine a massive 5"+ fireworm chowing down on my zoas. honestly don't know what I'm going to do now that they have had enough time to breed and create a possible infestation.

Upvote 0

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thought I should give an update on this. After removing the large ones I thought I had gotten rid of them. Well my AOI zoa colony had been slowly dying polyp by polyp. I moved it to the front of the tank for observation and today I fine a massive 5"+ fireworm chowing down on my zoas. honestly don't know what I'm going to do now that they have had enough time to breed and create a possible infestation.
Just keep killing them one by one. Short of a biological solution (melanarus wrasse is your friend here) or resetting your tank - I'm not sure what other options you have.

Upvote 0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 37 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 145 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back