Bristleworms killing my cuc!!!

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen either of my turbo snails roaming around in a while. Well today I found a dead turbo with some sort of bristleworm in the shell. The other turbo is now missing and so is one of my two trochus snails. Below is a photo of the worm which I beleive might be a fireworm? Is there any way I could get help on an id or suggestions on how to combat this such as adding some predators?
1681406506501.png

1681406546974.png

Also I did start my tank with live rock from KP so there is a large chance of unwanted hitchikers like this. Many of my hermits have also been showing up dead ripped out of their shell so these guys may be eating them too. TIA.

OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to my lfs showed them the pictures and they don’t believe that it is a fire worm. They are telling me to not worry about it. But they did recommend that I could try something at my own risk. They said I could take the live rock out and dip and soak it in flatworm eXit to kill all the bristleworms. They did warn me that it may also kill lots of good things like feather dusters too. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Upvote 0

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have quite a few of them and never known them do anything other than eat detritus and scavenge dead stuff. Snails die and do so fairly frequently especially if too many and they run out of food. I suspect you just caught them sniffing around dead or dying snails.

Upvote 0

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nervous about a melanarus as I plan on keeping a couple different wrasses and have heard that melanarus are aggressive especially towards other wrasses.
There is not an aggressive bone in my melanurus and I have kept a variety of other wrasses. Melanurus may not do well if you don't have a sand bed as they bury themselves at night. Also have a sixline that eats everything. Sixline is another wrasse with a bad name but mine is perfectly peaceful. Of course, fish are like people and personalities vary.

Upvote 0

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to my lfs showed them the pictures and they don’t believe that it is a fire worm. They are telling me to not worry about it. But they did recommend that I could try something at my own risk. They said I could take the live rock out and dip and soak it in flatworm eXit to kill all the bristleworms. They did warn me that it may also kill lots of good things like feather dusters too. Anyone have thoughts on this?
don't do it. Flatworm Exit will leach out of the rock for a long time.

Upvote 0

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No, you should not poison all the critters off your live rock trying to remove pests that may or may not even be present. Frankly, that's not good advice- it's about on the level of "just throw the rock out".

Upvote 0

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would not trust that fish store. The one on the snail is a fireworm. A young one, but still a fireworm. No need to panic. It was probably the only one.

Flatworm exit will not work on most pests to begin with and will do more harm than benefit.

Melanurus really is not aggressive to other fish. They wont put up with bs though. That is not the same thing. Perfect fish if you got the right size tank and plenty of fine sand.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not trust that fish store. The one on the snail is a fireworm. A young one, but still a fireworm. No need to panic. It was probably the only one.

Flatworm exit will not work on most pests to begin with and will do more harm than benefit.

Melanurus really is not aggressive to other fish. They wont put up with bs though. That is not the same thing. Perfect fish if you got the right size tank and plenty of fine sand.
I’m surprised that they gave bad advice as I have found them to be very knowledgeable and I believe they are the best lfs in Colorado.

I will look into the melanarus, I have just had people tell me that they can be huge bullies to other wrasses or any other aggressive fish. Would love a melanarus. Do you think any other halichores are as good at pest control? I have looked into the yellow coris but have been told the same about them. Right now I like the earmuff and the Iridis wrasse.

Upvote 0

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m surprised that they gave bad advice as I have found them to be very knowledgeable and I believe they are the best lfs in Colorado.

I will look into the melanarus, I have just had people tell me that they can be huge bullies to other wrasses or any other aggressive fish. Would love a melanarus. Do you think any other halichores are as good at pest control? I have looked into the yellow coris but have been told the same about them. Right now I like the earmuff and the Iridis wrasse.
Silver/yellow corris wrasse, but I still think the melan is the best pest control. Six line is best on smaller pests. This is where silver belly and yellow corris work as well. They may eat unwanted flatworms.

Upvote 0

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, I had a 5" male melanuras wrasse, added a silver belly that was less than 1" with him. He 100% ignored the new wrasse. He would not tolerate tank bullies. I know each fish has their own personalities. But, beating up aggressive does seem to be a trait they have.
However,
earmuff and the Iridis wrasse.
I have never owned any of these 2.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I had a 5" male melanuras wrasse, added a silver belly that was less than 1" with him. He 100% ignored the new wrasse. He would not tolerate tank bullies. I know each fish has their own personalities. But, beating up aggressive does seem to be a trait they have.
However,

I have never owned any of these 2.
Thank you. Think I am now looking at a melanarus and a yellow coris. Don’t know how I feel about the melanarus as I have a baby regal coming soon and have heard they can grow into bullies but don’t do well with being bullied. Thanks for the info!!

Upvote 0

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Fireworm. I had 3 come in on my KP rock, a large 6 inch or so and two babies. As others said, I found mine during the day munching GSP and mushrooms. Don’t believe it affected snails or crabs.

That said, my melanurus (RIP), was perfectly fine towards other fish and existing clean up crew but adding new snails was a no go. He’d flip them and kill them in an instant

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: just found what I believe to be a monster sized fire worm. He came out during feeding and before I could take a photo, the flow kicked back on and he quickly hid. He seems to be at least 6+ inches. At least I know where he is and will be setting a trap. Later this week all of the live rock will be moved into the sump in a refugium. I am also seeing that lots of fire worms are coming from peoples KP rock. Not a bad thing as the rock is excellent, but it might be something to consider if you choose to go with KP.

Upvote 0

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got rid of my pests with a high salinity bath for a few minutes just before placing my reef rocks into QT. The good critters I picked out immediately and in the DT they went.

Upvote 0

SDReefer77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Budman. Pic - fireworm, Vid - bristle worm. Bristle worm is harmless but an eyesore, fireworm is not something you want around. Tongs/tweezers, trap, wrasse, arrow crab, whatever...get it out. It loves cnidarians so any coral will do, and as you already noticed small crustaceans too so it will take out your CUC. Fish shouldn't be a problem but it eats anything it can, there is always a small chance of it stinging and killing a small fish.

1681873419743.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this also a fireworm I can’t really tell but I am pretty sure it is. Tried to lure it and catch it but failed. Saw another one exactly like this on the other end of the tank.

Upvote 0

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get netting put in raw shrimp. Tie the netting and place in tank floor. Every night it will fill up with the worms. They get trapped in the netting. You keep doing this till you can not see them anymore. Use fine netting. You will not even be able to have reef clams with these things. Fire worms are meat eaters.

Upvote 0

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is just a bristle worm. They are good guys to clean up dying things. Snails do die. They really do not last long in our tanks. You can still control their numbers with my net suggestion.

Upvote 0

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In nearly 10 years of reefing i've never physically seen a bristleworm in an open area of my tank so this was a surprise for me. that being said, if its that responsive to food just fashion up a simple bottle trap, place it in the same place and pull it. should be fairly easy

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back