Bristleworms killing my cuc!!!

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen either of my turbo snails roaming around in a while. Well today I found a dead turbo with some sort of bristleworm in the shell. The other turbo is now missing and so is one of my two trochus snails. Below is a photo of the worm which I beleive might be a fireworm? Is there any way I could get help on an id or suggestions on how to combat this such as adding some predators?
1681406506501.png

1681406546974.png

Also I did start my tank with live rock from KP so there is a large chance of unwanted hitchikers like this. Many of my hermits have also been showing up dead ripped out of their shell so these guys may be eating them too. TIA.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1681413341696.png
Heres a still from the video this is a bristleworm

in the shell actually is a fireworm.
Still not 100% this is a common bristle worm. Could be but more red than I would like and the cuticles (bristles) seem longer and whiter than most of the common bristle worms I’ve seen./had….

Upvote 0

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 fireworms come in on my KP rock. I removed them both and have had zero issues since then (over a year).

just remove them when you see them and you’ll be fine.

Post #53 on my build thread has photos of one of the fireworms if you would like something to compare yours against.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My o
I had 2 fireworms come in on my KP rock. I removed them both and have had zero issues since then (over a year).

just remove them when you see them and you’ll be fine.

Post #53 on my build thread has photos of one of the fireworms if you would like something to compare yours against.
Only issue is that I didn’t catch them when attempting to look for hitchhikers in a separate system. So now they have had over a month to establish themselves in my display. I already saw one after catching the one on my snail. Didn’t get a chance to catch it before it disappeared into the rock.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if they will go after small fish as I have a Midas blenny that loves to hide in the rocks. And soon will be adding a VERY tiny cb regal angelfish that could be easy prey.

Upvote 0

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The thing in the shell looks weird, not entirely like either a regular bristleworm or a fireworm. Neither one will hunt fish, and neither one is likely to go after live snails. More likely the snails died and the worms were eating them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to try a diy bristleworm trap. Maybe a coral banded shrimp or arrow crab. Also going to look into some halichores wrasses and a possible bird wrasse.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to try a diy bristleworm trap. Maybe a coral banded shrimp or arrow crab. Also going to look into some halichores wrasses and a possible bird wrasse. Also the only other issue is that I have had a Trochus disappear too and have found 4 dead hermits in the past 2 weeks so it makes me think that something is hunting them down like a fire worm.

Upvote 0

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My o

Only issue is that I didn’t catch them when attempting to look for hitchhikers in a separate system. So now they have had over a month to establish themselves in my display. I already saw one after catching the one on my snail. Didn’t get a chance to catch it before it disappeared into the rock.
Mine were in the display tank too. I didn’t qt or anything. If you are real concerned I would put a clam on the half shell on the sand bed at lights out (so fish don’t eat it) and check it in the middle of the night. I bet you can catch them that way.

Upvote 0

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to try a diy bristleworm trap. Maybe a coral banded shrimp or arrow crab. Also going to look into some halichores wrasses and a possible bird wrasse. Also the only other issue is that I have had a Trochus disappear too and have found 4 dead hermits in the past 2 weeks so it makes me think that something is hunting them down like a fire worm.

I highly recommend melanarus wrasse for general pest eating.

Upvote 0

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pom-pom crabs will definitely eat bristleworms, but they won't wipe 'em out- I had one in my pico, not being fed because I didn't realize it was still alive, and it didn't manage to clean the place out. Though it did cut the number down.
Never knew that, I got a few. I’ve witnessed a ball anemone sucking down a bristle worm before. I was shocked…

Upvote 0

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jim carrey harry dunne GIF by Dumb and Dumber To

Yep, I was going to suggest a trap. That way you can identify and know what kind of worms you got. I suggest putting the trap in 45 min before lights go out. Not sure where the tank is but try to have room lights out. I’ve noticed when I viewed my tank a hour or two after lights go out. I witness my common bristle worms swarming the sandbed and LR’s… Usually back in hiding 3 hours after lights out. They even climb up a corner of my aquarium in large numbers . It’s usually only one corner. North facing if that relatable…:rolleyes: (Ladybugs have their favorite direction;)) None of these guys are large. They stay small. If I was to overfeed they would populate heavily but not get huge. Getting off track. If you put the trap in 45 min before lights out and check 1-2 hours after lights out., you might already have a good sample size and can pull the trap. That way the bait in the trap doesn’t soak long and pollute your water….

I got fireworms in my first tank from a coral or cycled rock I got from LFS. It wasn’t the bearded fireworm but they were really plump and long. They looked like spiky fat earthworms and they populated heavily…. I’ll try and find a picture. I say this because I’m cautious on any bristle worm that doesn’t look like the common bristle, that we know is safe on our tanks.
5F5875F8-D586-456D-8C6F-201C2A41F70E.jpeg

I know there are other non reef threatening bristle worms. I would get nervous if they are really red around the bristles or bristles look different than above…. Better be safe and deal with the situation now than wait and be overwhelmed…. You mentioned tearing down the tank. Don’t do that. You got this!
I think I had Hermodice carunculata
Which is a bearded fireworm I guess. I just looked it up. Definitely looks different from the bearded fireworm I usually see. Top picture is what I think I had and bottom pic is the typical type I bearded fireworm I see in pics and read about in articles.
7CDDCBEB-90C5-41A4-AA63-DC735791FCBA.jpeg
9DCC9A5A-5CFD-449F-BB02-08A2CC3EEBC9.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 79 68.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back