Brook in the tank

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my clowns in QT and I'm going to pull my rock to catch the goby and wrasse tomorrow. So once I treat the fish, how do I treat my DT without hurting my inverts or coral?

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides allowing your tank to be fallow, you will need to perform pretty much the same maintenance as if you still had the fish in the tank. Monitoring all of your parameters, water changes, etc. You'll need to feed the tank, but you may want to give more coral specific food and less or no fish food. Don't however, forget to feed your CUC. Feeding is important to keep your biological filtration system fully active.

OP
OP
Hemlawk

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the info. Yeah I def will feed my CUC and shrimps.
My parameters are solid except my ALK and Mg are high (Red Sea Coral Pro is too strong for my nano)

So I'll have 4 fish in a 10 gallon QT. I used a bag of Matrix from the DT to help with bio filtration.

OP
OP
Hemlawk

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hospital tank up and running. Letting the DT fallow for a few weeks. I did a fresh water dip on both clownfish for 3 minutes then treated them with Ich-X (formaldehyde). Both clowns were alive the next morning but one clown was swimming upside-down, he was very disoriented. That clown died a few hours later. :( It's been about 3 days now and the other clown is still breathing fast and looks rough, but he's eating which is a good sign. I broke down my DT aquascape and caught the Wrasse and Goby, put them in the QT also. Those fish are fine but they could be carriers of the disease.
34502855116_2d927d816f_b.jpg

33697449253_be1e544b20_b.jpg

OP
OP
Hemlawk

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your pics/video, it looks like the surviving clownfish is still showing signs of brook. I would dose metro for a couple of weeks: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/metronidazole.298762/
Thanks a lot for all the info. I just ordered the Metronidazole, it will arrive tomorrow. As far as the treatment and my water: Ive been treating with Ich-x. So should I do a BIG water change before using the Metronidazole?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot for all the info. I just ordered the Metronidazole, it will arrive tomorrow. As far as the treatment and my water: Ive been treating with Ich-x. So should I do a BIG water change before using the Metronidazole?

I would, yes. Dose metro every 48 hrs for 2 weeks.

OP
OP
Hemlawk

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metro won't be here until tomorrow. :/ I hope he makes it.

Edit: I just fed the QT with garlic and the Clown isnt eating. He looks worse imo.

Last edited:

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metro won't be here until tomorrow. :/ I hope he makes it.

Edit: I just fed the QT with garlic and the Clown isnt eating. He looks worse imo.

If you think he is on his way out anyway, a fw dip might give him a little immediate relief until the meds come in. If he is really bad it could also tip the scale the other way, but it's worth a try.

OP
OP
Hemlawk

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He just passed :( I'm so bummed. They were my first saltwater/reef fish.

The next question is, or obvious statement: I should keep the Goby and Wrasse in QT, right? And should I treat them with Metro?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next question is, or obvious statement: I should keep the Goby and Wrasse in QT, right? And should I treat them with Metro?

Yes & yes. They may not be showing symptoms, but one has to assume that they are carriers.

OP
OP
Hemlawk

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found info online, that could have been Uronema. Regardless, I didn't have the correct meds in time.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OceanL0ver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible adding bacteria to quarantine tank (beneficial bacteria like seachem stability) could make our fish infected with bacteria?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible adding bacteria to quarantine tank (beneficial bacteria like seachem stability) could make our fish infected with bacteria?

No, because those products should only contain "good" nitrifying bacteria... not the harmful kind.

OceanL0ver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, because those products should only contain "good" nitrifying bacteria... not the harmful kind.

The reason I'm suspicious is I put 15 fish into qt to allow my dt to be fallow. They were all fat healthy fish except for mild chronic ich on regal and powder blue tang. 4 weeks into quarantine my regal tang and yellow tang look like the have brook. On top of that, the yellow tang has red areas that I think are bacterial. Thoughts?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I'm suspicious is I put 15 fish into qt to allow my dt to be fallow. They were all fat healthy fish except for mild chronic ich on regal and powder blue tang. 4 weeks into quarantine my regal tang and yellow tang look like the have brook. On top of that, the yellow tang has red areas that I think are bacterial. Thoughts?

Secondary bacterial infections are very common in fish with preexisting parasitic or worm infestations.

I'm assuming you are treating with copper or CP for the ich? If so, both are immunosuppressants which makes it difficult for the fish to naturally overcome any infection.

Did you dose antibiotics?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back