Lost 10 fish to Ice and Velvet (how long to go fishes to kill it off)

rsaltzmann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had an outbreak of Velvet/ich that took 2 triggers, CBB, Sail Tang, 1 clown and a cardinal. I got the remaining 5 out and built a hospital tank that currently running Copper Power in. I have several corals and inverts in the DT. There is also an Anemone (long thin tentacles) dont know the type. Do I need to pull it out of the DT to eradicate the disease? How long to run without fish and only coral/inverts for a clean environment to repopulate. Not sure how long to QT the remaining fish either.
Looking for some expert guidance to avoid the newbie disaster again.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll need to keep fish out of the tank for 6 to 8 weeks. The copper treatment takes 30 days. At that point you might as well go a couple rounds of prazi 8 days apart which will get you to about 7 weeks. See the link below for more QT guidelines.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
threebuoys beat me to it - You don't need to pull the anemone out - run the system 60-76 days without fish (or new additions), and the disease(s) should be gone.

You'll want to QT the fish for 30 days in copper at therapeutic levels:
if you want to treat ich effectively, you need either copper medication (chelated copper like Coppersafe or Copper Power at 2.25-2.5ppm for 30 days after the last ich trophonts disappear is recommended) or hyposalinity (drop your salinity to 1.009 and keep the tank at that salinity for 30 days after the last signs/symptoms of the disease disappear), neither of which are reef-safe. There is no effective, reef-safe treatment for ich at the moment (at least not one that I've heard of).
To prevent the tank from getting ich again, you would get the fish out and treat them (either with copper or hyposalinity - see below for info on both), then QT anything "wet" that goes into your tank (or near it) for a minimum of 45 days at 81F; 60-76 days (especially if at lower temps) is recommended. That means quarantining fish, inverts, coral, rocks, sand, macroalgae, etc.
For future quarantines:

OP
OP
R

rsaltzmann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I forgot to mention I have a pentair 40W UV running at 290gph for 12 hours a day, should I keep it running?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I recently had an outbreak of Velvet/ich that took 2 triggers, CBB, Sail Tang, 1 clown and a cardinal. I got the remaining 5 out and built a hospital tank that currently running Copper Power in. I have several corals and inverts in the DT. There is also an Anemone (long thin tentacles) dont know the type. Do I need to pull it out of the DT to eradicate the disease? How long to run without fish and only coral/inverts for a clean environment to repopulate. Not sure how long to QT the remaining fish either.
You can and want to leave coral and inverts in the tank for 6-8 weeks without fish (fallow) to allow the disease to die off without a fish to host on. For copperpower- run the copper for a FULL 30 days at treatment level 2.25-2.5 and monitor with a reliable copper kit such as Hanna brand and also monitor ammonia level with a reliable kit. Place all fish in quarantine as they too have likely been exposed to the disease. Due to having cardinal, run coppersafe at closer to 2.25.
While UV sterilizer helps, It does not erase existing protozoan off fish but rather what is free floating and passed thru the units channel

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awe this sucks. Happened to me. I went 3 months to be safe before adding fish

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back