Velvet not killed off after 30 day treatment?

Tangdome

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a velvet outbreak around Christmas time this past year. Lost 3 fish. Put all remaining fish in a QT tank, dosed with cooper at levels between 2.0 & 2.5 for the recommended 30 day period. Checked with the Hanna to ensure therapeutic levels, etc. All fish are still in QT as we let our DT fallow.

So, they have been in QT for 8 weeks, and finished their copper treatment about a month ago. The last few days we have again noticed the classic velvet symptoms. All fish are swimming into the power head, constant scratching on the heater, reduced appetite, erratic swimming, etc. We don’t have a light in the QT tank so cannot assess if there are physical symptoms of velvet. Could this possibly be a copper resistant strain of velvet? We are perplexed. Is there an alternate treatment we can do to kill this off for good? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Did you leave the tank fallow (without fish) for at least 50-60 days?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a velvet outbreak around Christmas time this past year. Lost 3 fish. Put all remaining fish in a QT tank, dosed with cooper at levels between 2.0 & 2.5 for the recommended 30 day period. Checked with the Hanna to ensure therapeutic levels, etc. All fish are still in QT as we let our DT fallow.

So, they have been in QT for 8 weeks, and finished their copper treatment about a month ago. The last few days we have again noticed the classic velvet symptoms. All fish are swimming into the power head, constant scratching on the heater, reduced appetite, erratic swimming, etc. We don’t have a light in the QT tank so cannot assess if there are physical symptoms of velvet. Could this possibly be a copper resistant strain of velvet? We are perplexed. Is there an alternate treatment we can do to kill this off for good? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
There isn’t any resistance known by protozoans and copper. While no treatment is 100% effective, it is pretty rare to see this. Could this new issue be flukes?

OP
OP
T

Tangdome

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn’t any resistance known by protozoans and copper. While no treatment is 100% effective, it is pretty rare to see this. Could this new issue be flukes?
Maybe it is flukes? The symptoms have been new in the last week or so and they haven’t been moved out of QT, so it’s just weird. We just got scared it was velvet again since they are all swimming into the power head. I shone a flashlight on them and am not seeing any physical symptoms of velvet. We are also wondering if water quality could be causing the symptoms? Doing water changes every 2-3 days but it’s still not the best since we have 4 tangs, a coral beauty, and wrasse in a 75 gal QT situation.

OP
OP
T

Tangdome

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't you think an fairly important part of qt is being able to see if the fish is healthy or not? Do you not have a light in the room or a phone?
Wouldn't you think an fairly important part of qt is being able to see if the fish is healthy or not? Do you not have a light in the room or a phone?
We have a light in the room and I shone a flashlight on them. Not seeing any of the physical symptoms of velvet as far as I can tell.

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Ok, so no longer in copper.

What are you using to determine that you need to change water?

Giving them a dose of Prazi to treat flukes wouldn't hurt.

OP
OP
T

Tangdome

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so no longer in copper.

What are you using to determine that you need to change water?

Giving them a dose of Prazi to treat flukes wouldn't hurt.
Ammonia to determine water change.

We started them in copper again two days ago, but no change in symptoms. I ordered Prazi & it will be here Monday. Will probably do a big water change and dose with Prazi then.

DexterKarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for submitting the question and all the replies. I will be done with my 30 day copper treatment on Tuesday. I have been seeing about 50% white poop so have ordered Prazi and will treat with that as I wait for the fallow period to end. Just interesting what you are seeing. Good luck.

Trial by Fire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia to determine water change.

We started them in copper again two days ago, but no change in symptoms. I ordered Prazi & it will be here Monday. Will probably do a big water change and dose with Prazi then.

Thank you!

Thank you!
I note you said you kept your copper between 2 and 2.5. My understanding is unless you maintain the recommended therapeutic level you are not effectively treating the issue. Copperpower should be kept at 2.5 for the duration of the treatment. If you don’t reach therapeutic level you are not going to achieve success . Note this is my understanding of all I’ve read

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back