Brown jelly protists on rockwork (not Dino or Cyano)

Terrapod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all from across the pond.

I have been enjoying stellar success with the tank this year, building my own system to my exact specifications (engineering day job) and filled on March 12.

20211224_184823-01.jpeg

I maintain standard parameters, alk 7.5, mag 1350, cal 400, using ati pro two part. Phosphate sits around 0.06 and I dose nitrate to keep a healthy nutrient balance .

In August I was hit with the AEFW scourge, and after cutting down on stock via disposal due to eggs, moving every arcopora off the rockwork and racking/weekly dipping for four months, they appear to have been beaten.

Which brings me to my lingering issue.

I have a brown jelly like bacteria that seems to appear in small clumps on the rockwork. I have tried every treatment without success, I even sent a sample off to a marine biology teacher, who could only say it's not Dino, it's not cyano, it's some sort of protist. After a dose of bactericide - it's not bacteria either.

20211223_175726-01.jpeg

The main benefit is that it doesn't impact water chemistry at all, the corals don't notice it, neither do my mobile inhabitants either.

The tank other than that, is going great. I just wish I could sort out this issue. Current maintenance is a powerhead a hose, once a week, blasting it off the rock in patches, and clearing down into the sump roller filter.

Would appreciate anyone's advice, as this is one that doesn't appear common in the hobby.

Examples of coral health -
OI000006-02.jpeg

OI000017-02.jpeg

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will start by saying I’m new and dont know a whole ton, but I am currently dealing with a similar issue it’s slimy with bubbles, turkey baster removes it easily(didn’t have any negative effects on my coral til it stayed around and got worse I lost a few corals) it did have a strange odor to it. seems like I’ve beat it now, it’s left a jelly like substance behind(im asssuming die off or something) this doesn’t come off the rocks as easily with a turkey baster but still will come off in most parts. I was told tank water is to clean and skip a water change that’s what I’ve done and it hasn’t came back but still haven’t cleaned all the jelly substance off…jelly substance/die off im guessing doesn’t have bubbles and it’s tan in color.

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to add to the previous comment… my tank is fairly new and I kind of just figured it’s cyano/Dino combo. My nitrates and phosphates almost bottomed out then this stuff appeared. Phos was reading 0.03 nitrates 0-10 average

OP
OP
Terrapod

Terrapod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No don't see it Dino, cyano or crysos, nutrients are healthy with the colours, just a shame I don't know any more after getting a biologist to examine it!

20211230_150445-01.jpeg

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if those cells are totally motionless under the scope and the slime has a thick gel to it, then yes - I'd bet on chrysophytes.

OP
OP
Terrapod

Terrapod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but this is what chrysophytes look like ?

imageproxy.jpeg

My brown jelly like slime couldn't be more different?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about the above pic.
The batch I had my hands on looked like this.

20190424_154344-COLLAGE.jpg

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this is the one I am familiar with also! What did it take to remedy for you?
I only had it because I asked some helpful reefer to send it to me. I only grew it in beakers. Never in my system.

OP
OP
Terrapod

Terrapod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only had it because I asked some helpful reefer to send it to me. I only grew it in beakers. Never in my system.
That colour and texture does look familiar, and the microscope images so similar.

Any insights how to rid it from my system?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any insights how to rid it from my system?

Check this thread by @ScottB for a really knowledgeable exploration of what to do with this.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/symbiodinium-got-any-treatment-ideas.811322/

It looks like an algacide / careful lowering of nutrients may be effective.
As to chyrysophytes, yes, I have to give some credit to a very cautious and deliberate use of Vibrant. There were two other factors at play then that may have contributed:
a) One spot Foxface. I will never reef without one. Eats everything except coral.
b) I was also bringing down both PO4 and NO3 over that span. 15/.15 to 5/.05

Lastly, I did see an intermediate conversion from chrysos to some GHA. I kept going with the modest Vibrant dosing (clean tank level) and much of the GHA disappeared.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back