BRS Color Changing Resin Defective?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

BigRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had a 4 stage dual 75gpd membrane with TDS RODI from brs for about two years now. Over this time I’ve replaced the sediment/carbon(2), and resin multiple times. Well this time I replaced my sediment, two carbon and mixed color changing prepackaged brs resin. I’m getting higher TDS on the output than the input, 1 TDS on the input to the resin but 2 tds on the output from the resin! I contacted BRS on the chat and they said sometimes the dye comes off the resin which could lead to tds. I’ve never experienced this before and last time I used spectrapure resin and had zero tds on the output. Anyone have this experience with BRS mixed color changing resin? I don’t know if I feel comfortable with using it because of the TDS. The person I chatted with seemed to imply it should drop to zero with use but I’ve run it for 8hrs and it’s still outputting higher than its input. Any insight would be appreciated!

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your city water input TDS? What's your water pressure?
What's your output after the RO, without the DI and after the DI?

OP
OP
B

BigRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your city water input TDS? What's your water pressure?
What's your output after the RO, without the DI and after the DI?

Haven’t tested inbound from city in awhile, it wasn’t high though. I can check it tmrw

Output after RO, pre resin is 1.
Output after Resin is 2.

Water pressure is always between 65-75PSI

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t tested inbound from city in awhile, it wasn’t high though. I can check it tmrw

Output after RO, pre resin is 1.
Output after Resin is 2.

Water pressure is always between 65-75PSI
Your water pressure looks good.
HUH ?? your TDS levels go UP? after your resin???
So give us some better numbers ... or your RO system is leaking past the filters

OP
OP
B

BigRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your water pressure looks good.
HUH ?? your TDS levels go UP? after your resin???
So give us some better numbers ... or your RO system is leaking past the filters

I don’t know what other numbers I can give you. The whole issue is my tds level is going up AFTER the resin.

I’ve had the whole system setup and running perfectly for two years. No issues. Just last week I was producing zero tds water. My resin became exhausted and I saw my tds creep to one on the output so changed all stages like usual. Only difference is I used the prepackaged di resin from BRS. My prior resin was spectrapure.

I’m just wondering if anyone has experienced this or is it possible my resin is somehow defective? Talking to BRS they said their resin’s dye will cause some tds but it should subside and is harmless.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like maybe you are leaking water past your RO membrane inside the RO tube.
Take it apart and check for leakage past the o-rings.
Maybe I'm wrong, but sounds like other posts I've seen

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much water did you ditch before measuring? I always dump the first bucket, and the second and third i use on my fw tank. Then start using the 4th for my reef.

OP
OP
B

BigRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much water did you ditch before measuring? I always dump the first bucket, and the second and third i use on my fw tank. Then start using the 4th for my reef.

I ran it into my sink for 8hrs. So I’m running two 75gpd membranes, I’m guessing from experience I produced 20-30 gallons of water. I would think any residual chemicals or dyes would have been rinsed off from the resin by now.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are leaking past your RO membranes. But I'm no expert.
If I were you, I'd take apart the membrane cartridges and check the seals.
Look for dents in the seals to show if you may have a leakage issue.

Leakage past the RO membrane will definately cause a rise in TDS and exhaust your DI rapidly

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, take your unit apart and look for seal issues/dents in seals etc.
Really sounds like a by-passing issue

Please report back when you fix it

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, take your unit apart and look for seal issues/dents in seals etc.
Really sounds like a by-passing issue

Please report back when you fix it

I don't think you're reading what the op is saying. He gets 1 tds out of the ro unit (which is really good btw) then upon sending that 1 tds water through the DI chamber his tds increases by 1tds. Leaks from the membrane have absolutely nothing to do with it.

If there's a known issue with BRS di resin leaching dye and they continue to sell it as normal, am i the only person that thinks this sounds funny? I wouldn't trust that crap even if i ran a million gallons through it first.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about how it can bypass the RO membrane, but ya, maybe I'm off my rocker if it's being read after the DI
If it truly is 1 after the RO and directly fed to the DI ....

BTW, I get 7ppm from my tap so 1 after the RO is not 'OK' in my world ;)

I don't use DI and get "0" from my line :p

Just trying to help out here

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about how it can bypass the RO membrane, but ya, maybe I'm off my rocker if it's being read after the DI
If it truly is 1 after the RO and directly fed to the DI ....

BTW, I get 7ppm from my tap so 1 after the RO is not 'OK' in my world ;)

I don't use DI and get "0" from my line :p

Just trying to help out here

Lol yeaaa I was confused after the first time I read it also.

We are in the lucky group of reefers that gets their water from a clean source. I live in the mountains of WNC and we're on a well. I pull 4 tds from the tap. I've lived in places though on city water and was pulling upwards of 500 tds from the tap. I would have fallen to me knees and praised the Lord for 1 tds after the membrane back then. Luckily I never have to think about that again since we own our home now. Although pulling from a well it's high in cO2 and that's a whole different animal.

jacksin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently using BRS color changing resins, not the mixed bed type, with no issues

Bigwrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently having the same issue. My TDS goes up after It goes thru the DI. I have replaced the Resin twice recently and it turns black on first use

Fishyjoey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has a manufacturing problem if the dye is leaching into the “purified” water passing through the DI resin.
I would expect a refund and replacement with a different manufacturer lot of resin or purchase resin elsewhere.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had a 4 stage dual 75gpd membrane with TDS RODI from brs for about two years now. Over this time I’ve replaced the sediment/carbon(2), and resin multiple times. Well this time I replaced my sediment, two carbon and mixed color changing prepackaged brs resin. I’m getting higher TDS on the output than the input, 1 TDS on the input to the resin but 2 tds on the output from the resin! I contacted BRS on the chat and they said sometimes the dye comes off the resin which could lead to tds. I’ve never experienced this before and last time I used spectrapure resin and had zero tds on the output. Anyone have this experience with BRS mixed color changing resin? I don’t know if I feel comfortable with using it because of the TDS. The person I chatted with seemed to imply it should drop to zero with use but I’ve run it for 8hrs and it’s still outputting higher than its input. Any insight would be appreciated!

Hey @BigRich,
The dye shouldn't come off the resin. The color change is due to pH, not the dye coming off the resin. It is true that you should see an almost instant drop in TDS to zero. Given that you're starting with just 1 TDS, your resin should last for quite some time. There are two common issues that can lead to this problem. One is that the resin isn't packed tightly enough. If it isn't tight, water can channel through the resin. The other being that the cartridge is installed upside down. Can you verify that your cartridge isn't installed upside down? If everything looks correct, I'd like to send you a new bag of resin just to erase any doubts.

Fishyjoey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please explain how channeling or installing the canister incorrectly would increase TDS. I do understand how these issues could prevent deionization, just not how they could add solids.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back