BRS Investigates -- Amino Acid/Coral feeding

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hard to say if corals are actually growing well/coloring well BECAUSE of feeding reef roids/aminos, etc OR if it's DESPITE the coral food. Would be a cool investigation.

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hard to say if corals are actually growing well/coloring well BECAUSE of feeding reef roids/aminos, etc OR if it's DESPITE the coral food. Would be a cool investigation.

Definitely hard to say for sure. After the results we saw during our Amino Acid livestream, this is probably an investigation that we will chase down further down the road! :)

Comic_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ryanbrs @randyBRS Were you broadcast feeding or direct feeding? I have some unhealthy coral I'm trying to nurse back to health with aminos and trying to figure out the best way to use this product.

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ryanbrs @randyBRS Were you broadcast feeding or direct feeding? I have some unhealthy coral I'm trying to nurse back to health with aminos and trying to figure out the best way to use this product.

Hey there! The aminos were dosed directly to the tank while it was running, so "broadcast" would probably bet apply here. Actually Brightwell recommends target feeding over broadcasting, to ensure the majority of the CoralAmino gets directly to the coral with potentially less getting sent down to the filtration. Personally, I'd start with Brightwell's recommendation, especially for specific corals I'm trying to nurse back to health. :)

Randy

ReeferGil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! The aminos were dosed directly to the tank while it was running, so "broadcast" would probably bet apply here. Actually Brightwell recommends target feeding over broadcasting, to ensure the majority of the CoralAmino gets directly to the coral with potentially less getting sent down to the filtration. Personally, I'd start with Brightwell's recommendation, especially for specific corals I'm trying to nurse back to health. :)

Randy
What ratio do you guys use to broadcast feed? 1ml per gallon? Instructions are not the best. Thanks.

ReeferGil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. Going to give this a try. I have two stubborn corals that refuse to color up. I'll post results on IG. Thanks guys.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amnio’s have definitely colored up my corals with a deep rich color. I’ll always use amino’s- Acropower more specifically. If you run a high nutrient tank, or do not pay attention to fine detail, you may never see the difference.

OP
OP
J

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amnio’s have definitely colored up my corals with a deep rich color. I’ll always use amino’s- Acropower more specifically. If you run a high nutrient tank, or do not pay attention to fine detail, you may never see the difference.

I run pretty low nutrients. Not undetectable but 2 ppm. I just get cyano when I run aminos.

I think a cool investigation would be running reef roids. There's a littany of ways to do it and the results would be cool

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may be dosing too much or need to add more good bacteria to the system. Skimmers can remove a lot of beneficial bacteria over time. Sometimes, it’s good to add it back.

OP
OP
J

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may be dosing too much or need to add more good bacteria to the system. Skimmers can remove a lot of beneficial bacteria over time. Sometimes, it’s good to add it back.

I don't think that's the issue, I have seen a lot of really established tanks w/ enormous colonies have the same impact in terms of cyano.. As far as too much? Maybe, but I just go by the guidelines set by the manufacturer. If the coral is super healthy, I just doubt there's any need for aminos.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that's the issue, I have seen a lot of really established tanks w/ enormous colonies have the same impact in terms of cyano.. As far as too much? Maybe, but I just go by the guidelines set by the manufacturer. If the coral is super healthy, I just doubt there's any need for aminos.

Might be a good idea to stop amino’s in your situation since your corals are super healthy and amino’s are causing cyano for you. No need to give them more food they don’t need. Best of luck :)

OP
OP
J

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be a good idea to stop amino’s in your situation since your corals are super healthy and amino’s are causing cyano for you. No need to give them more food they don’t need. Best of luck :)

Yeah I've stopped. It was insta cyano

IMG_20190902_080933.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back