BRS Reactor algae reactor

Flatlandreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is up and running! Excited to see how this works. I was surprised how well the maxi jet did pumping all the way under my stand and still having good flow out of the return after pushing back up to the tank.

IMG_3569.JPG

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful with flow, I've actually had better success on more moderate flow. If the chaeto being pushed up to the top it's likely too fast. If it's works for you that's fine, I've just had better luck when I dialed it back and had the chaeto somewhat stationary in the reactor.

Flatlandreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful with flow, I've actually had better success on more moderate flow. If the chaeto being pushed up to the top it's likely too fast. If it's works for you that's fine, I've just had better luck when I dialed it back and had the chaeto somewhat stationary in the reactor.

I wrapped my chaeto around the pvc in the middle and it was at the top to begin with so it's not the flow pushing it up.

Boxfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this work with a BRS mini reactor or will it be too small? Thanks. Z

Boxfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do everyone clean their BRS cheeto reactor out now? Mine is hanging off the back of my tank and it is still using the harder white flex so it is harder to pull to clean because of the angle an small hole it runs into my rear chambers of my RSM 130d. I'm using where the water cooling fan normally goes.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do everyone clean their BRS cheeto reactor out now? Mine is hanging off the back of my tank and it is still using the harder white flex so it is harder to pull to clean because of the angle an small hole it runs into my rear chambers of my RSM 130d. I'm using where the water cooling fan normally goes.

There are a few factors: tank size, nutrient level, and lighting cycle. I have 2 other reactors, I operate a similar sized as the large reactor on a BC29 with moderate nutrients on a 8 hr cycle-once a month. This new BRS reactor I used on a 20g QT I had to do several feeding a day-2 weeks. I start with filling 1/3 to 1/2.

Flatlandreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update on my reactor. So far everything is working great. It's been about a week and a half, chaeto has about doubled in size and gha on rocks is starting to fade away. So far I am happy that I installed the reactor. I have also been feeding my fish more than I used to.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update on my reactor. So far everything is working great. It's been about a week and a half, chaeto has about doubled in size and gha on rocks is starting to fade away. So far I am happy that I installed the reactor. I have also been feeding my fish more than I used to.
I tried the same thing as you. I even added the 1/2" PVC pipe. I bought the TLF Phosban 550 because I didn't like unscrewing the canister with the lights installed. The TLF has a cap on top.

Hockeypunk1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I did a lazy version of this a couple months ago. I need to modify it similar to yours. Mine works more as a turf algae scrubber although it does grow the chaeto too. I use a 18 or so watt Chinese red and blue par 38 bulb. I just harvested it yesterday.
1504703534645818575919.jpg

ramona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would be possible to use an algae reactor on 10 g cube with eheim canister filter?

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would be possible to use an algae reactor on 10 g cube with eheim canister filter?

I've thought about that; you would have to use the completely submersible leds and figure a way to seal it from where you run the led line.

Thad disbrow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think most of us love algae reactors, and I think alot of us have stuff laying around. I re-purposed 2 Aquamaxx Biopellet Reactors into algae reactors and it's the best thing I did for my tanks in years.

If you have a small tank and need to choose, an algae reactor is even more efficient than even a small protein skimmer. So here's the stuff I had laying around, some BRS reactors. I easily turned one into an upflow algae reactor.

I took a piece of 1/2" pvc and a 1/2" coupler, I honed the inside of the coupler out enough to fit the flange of what was the output of the reactor top. I took the strainer top of the inside canister of the reactor and drilled a 5/8" hole. I glued the strainer to the other end of the pvc, with the flat side towards the pipe. The water goes in through what was the output down the pvc then distributed with the help of the strainer, back up and out of what was the input.

I didn't get the lights yet, I will use these:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0132NME6O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I have these on one of my other reactors and they work great. So if you have a BRS reactor laying around, a pump that gets anywhere from 150-300gph, and about $20; you're in business.

015.jpg

What type of glue did you use to glue the pvc to the strainer?

Thanks!

helldiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your going with the white lights? I thought red, blue and purple were the best for these type of reactors.
Can u send me the link to light you used.I have noticed the same thing. .
I get the type of algae u get when i run my algae scrubber
I thought it was my water quality it has been drivung me crazy
Thank you

Message_1506272338403.jpg

20170829_054008_HDR.jpg

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can u send me the link to light you used.I have noticed the same thing. .
I get the type of algae u get when i run my algae scrubber
I thought it was my water quality it has been drivung me crazy
Thank you

Message_1506272338403.jpg

20170829_054008_HDR.jpg
I have the Phillips Hue system. I repurposed one of their light strip I purchased for a different reason. I can choose whatever color I want

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 85 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back