BRS160 Update 4: Triton Method, here we come! | BRStv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go, guys!

We are going full bore Triton Method in this episode and Ryan shows you how we are going to achieve a successful conversion.

Ohhh... You're also going to get a sneak peak (and a chance to win) the new Trigger Systems sumps exclusively made for the Triton Method!!

Enjoy!

-Find all of our reefing videos HERE!

Last edited:

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is pretty exciting! I think this will be an interesting transition for the BRS 160 and I'll be sure to keep an eye for update videos in the future!

However, I wish there was a way to implement this system on nano all-in-one aquariums. I just don't think there's enough room to do it successfully on something like my IM Nano 20.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing Core7 about a week ago on my brand new reef... not much demand yet, of course... Looking forward to seeing BRS's 160 progress with Triton right along side of my 150g peninsula :)

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of dosing right out of the bottles. Saves me money on dosing containers!

They don't look bad, and are well labeled... no worry about getting the wrong stuff in a container... Lots of good reasons for that.

I just drilled a 1/4" hole in the lids and stuck a length of RO/DI tube in... easy as can be.

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in converting to this method. However, I'm also curious about the Core 7 refill stations that was mentioned sometime earlier this year. Are there even any places out there in the US that have these Triton refill stations yet? I would love to convert over to Triton if I could get discounted refills versus buying a brand new set of bottles.

SlvrZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wondering if an ATS would be considered a source of macro algaes for the triton method? think it would?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is super exciting for me. I just got my Triton goodies in the mail and will also be giving the full Triton method a try. Re-plumbing my return tomorrow to get better flow from my return. I am also using the Abyzz 200. I think you'll have enough flow on the 160! I hope I can pull off 10x flow on my 400g. I will also be able to check via the Neptune Systems FMK.

One thing though I may not do it change out my Kessil H380 refugium light or remove my very small CO2 scrubber. Do you think that's a deal breaker?

Also what will you do to keep your sand looking nice and clean?

Kayvon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing though I may not do it change out my Kessil H380 refugium light or remove my very small CO2 scrubber. Do you think that's a deal breaker?

Maybe the additional CO2 will help in the process of photosynthesis in the algae?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in converting to this method. However, I'm also curious about the Core 7 refill stations that was mentioned sometime earlier this year. Are there even any places out there in the US that have these Triton refill stations yet? I would love to convert over to Triton if I could get discounted refills versus buying a brand new set of bottles.

I remember seeing those as well, which looked AWESOME! I'm not sure what their plan is for those stations, but maybe Triton US can chime in here? :) (For some reason I can't tag them.. :( )

-Randy

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wondering if an ATS would be considered a source of macro algaes for the triton method? think it would?

I've seen some pretty low nutrient systems operating on an ATS, it would be interesting to find out if they can compete with a large 10%-30% refugium!

-Randy

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Phew, that's going to be a lot of flow on your tank! :p I'd be interested in how the CO2 reactor media effects some minor or trace elements (if it does at all). I can say that the refugium growth didn't seem affected at all by the CO2 media. As far as the sand.... either we hire a goby or yours truly gets to put his hand in the tank and stir it up manually! :D

-Randy

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What percent refugium did you end up with after converting the filter sock area?

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is super exciting for me. I just got my Triton goodies in the mail and will also be giving the full Triton method a try. Re-plumbing my return tomorrow to get better flow from my return. I am also using the Abyzz 200. I think you'll have enough flow on the 160! I hope I can pull off 10x flow on my 400g. I will also be able to check via the Neptune Systems FMK.

They recommend T5, so I can't imagine that the 1500 par growth spectrum of the H380 won't outdo a T5 setup.

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of doing the same thing, except starting from scratch with a 180G. Much of the same equipment too, (including that kick butt Abyzz A200). I've been trying to figure out a sump setup, looking for used tanks etc cause I couldn't find one new that met the Triton requirements. Any info on the size/ volume on the trigger sumps for Triton? How long till they'll be available?

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we decided that the measurements of the new fuge area put us right around 25-30gal. That works out to be right around 15%-20% of total water volume. :)

-Randy

I'm figuring my new ref is about 17%, of tank volume and about 12x turnover rate. That's a _ton_ of flow through a refugeum... all my previous refugeum setups were fairly slow flow.

The Triton specific sumps are coming around, it appears... too late for me, I converted a cheap 55g tank. Works... doesn't look great, though. Maybe a 1 year anniversary upgrade ;)

Weaselander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on running without a skimmer on a system with a smaller bio/feeding load? Thinking about setting up a 75 gallon with just a large refugium and H380. Probably more of an Softie/LPS tank with just a couple of fish.

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Crossing my fingers for us both : )

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back