BRStv Investigates the NEW Kessil AP9X!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

U

User1

View Badges
Great job. Kessil makes a great light (I'm biased I guess since I run the a360x) :).

So I watched this twice and both times the same thing crossed my mind regarding the 60 gallon test towards the end. You recommended both color and intensity at 20% for LPS I think. The next test was with mixed I believe because as you said SPS turned out to be whack a mole. In any case you went with an intensity set now at 55%.

My question is this. Is the new ap9x too much light for this tank considering you are running it at less overall intensity. Assuming intensity = power (which I may be wrong). Conversely how would a single a360x mounted at 10 inches running double the noted intensity compare with overall results.

Meaning a9x is 2 arrays vs 1 single in the a360x. A hobbyist would save more money by using a single a360x provided it met the par requirements. Just curious.

Great job and thanks for putting this out.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job. Kessil makes a great light (I'm biased I guess since I run the a360x) :).

So I watched this twice and both times the same thing crossed my mind regarding the 60 gallon test towards the end. You recommended both color and intensity at 20% for LPS I think. The next test was with mixed I believe because as you said SPS turned out to be whack a mole. In any case you went with an intensity set now at 55%.

My question is this. Is the new ap9x too much light for this tank considering you are running it at less overall intensity. Assuming intensity = power (which I may be wrong). Conversely how would a single a360x mounted at 10 inches running double the noted intensity compare with overall results.

Meaning a9x is 2 arrays vs 1 single in the a360x. A hobbyist would save more money by using a single a360x provided it met the par requirements. Just curious.

Great job and thanks for putting this out.

Great questions, I'm happy to clear this up a bit! :)

First let's talk about the SPS test, in which case during the mounting height test you get an idea of what 100% intensity looks like from the heat maps where there are points of 400-700 PAR near the top of the tank.

Because our goal for SPS dominated tanks is to hit 200-350 PAR throughout 70% or more of the 108 data testing points (6", 12" and 18"inches deep in the tank) we start to play that game of lowering the intensity to a point where the top 6"inches of the tank doesn't get blown out above 350 while at the same time providing enough output so that 12"inches and 18"inches deep in the tank stays higher than 200 PAR. Hence the whack-a-mole game of robbing PAR from the top to serve the bottom or robbing PAR from the bottom to serve the top.

As to the A360X's performance in the same 60gal cube...first the AP9X is not a direct one-for-one version of just two A360Xs in the same body. The size of the Dense Matrix LED clusters are different as well as their placement inside the lens AND the AP9X has included reflectors that completely change the dynamics of the light output (which is why you see two "humps" in the PAR data at the top.

Because of that comparing the A360X to the AP9X is pretty much apples and oranges. However the A360X loses quite a bit of light and PAR output when you go beyond that 8"inch mounting height we found as "optimal"...optimal meaning we stop raising the light when more than 15% is spilling out of the tank. For the AP9X that was at 10"inches yet for the wide angle A360X that was only 8"inches.

As I mentioned near the end of the video, the A360X is a super wide angle flood light; the T365 is a super narrow angle spotlight and the AP9X is somewhere in between and because of that we just need to use the data to make the best decision for what works best for what we are trying to accomplish in our tanks.

Hopefully that helps clarify some differences, but don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions. I know these lights pretty intimately at this point! LOL. :)

U

User1

View Badges

First let's talk about the SPS test, in which case during the mounting height test you get an idea of what 100% intensity looks like from the heat maps where there are points of 400-700 PAR near the top of the tank.

Because our goal for SPS dominated tanks is to hit 200-350 PAR throughout 70% or more of the 108 data testing points (6", 12" and 18"inches deep in the tank) we start to play that game of lowering the intensity to a point where the top 6"inches of the tank doesn't get blown out above 350 while at the same time providing enough output so that 12"inches and 18"inches deep in the tank stays higher than 200 PAR. Hence the whack-a-mole game of robbing PAR from the top to serve the bottom or robbing PAR from the bottom to serve the top.

As to the A360X's performance in the same 60gal cube...first the AP9X is not a direct one-for-one version of just two A360Xs in the same body. The size of the Dense Matrix LED clusters are different as well as their placement inside the lens AND the AP9X has included reflectors that completely change the dynamics of the light output (which is why you see two "humps" in the PAR data at the top.

Because of that comparing the A360X to the AP9X is pretty much apples and oranges. However the A360X loses quite a bit of light and PAR output when you go beyond that 8"inch mounting height we found as "optimal"...optimal meaning we stop raising the light when more than 15% is spilling out of the tank. For the AP9X that was at 10"inches yet for the wide angle A360X that was only 8"inches.

As I mentioned near the end of the video, the A360X is a super wide angle flood light; the T365 is a super narrow angle spotlight and the AP9X is somewhere in between and because of that we just need to use the data to make the best decision for what works best for what we are trying to accomplish in our tanks.

Hopefully that helps clarify some differences, but don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions. I know these lights pretty intimately at this point! LOL. :)

Thank you for the detailed reply. Apples to oranges is the key part I missed. I was not 100% sure that the ap9x array was that different. I believe thinking back on the video you noted that.

Makes a lot of sense. Thank you again.

Virtual beer on my since I'm in Cali ;)

jiml

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would this light perform on a IM int 112 mixed reef. 3’x3’x20”?

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The
How would this light perform on a IM int 112 mixed reef. 3’x3’x20”?

My AP700 did really well for those dimensions at around a twelve inch mounting height and a max intensity of 60%. The lenses on this light appear to add the wider angle, so it should do way better for hard to reach spots if mounted right.

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I know we’re talking about the new kessil light here but since you’ve referenced the a360x many times and it happens to be the lights I run @8” above the water I might add,
What is the optimal intensity for A360x?? (I believe you said the optimal color settings are identical) I’m working on a mixed reef with sps up top/upper center and lps on the bottom half

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the 24 cube I ran max at 60% intensity at 8 above the water surface. 12 hour schedule with 3hrs up and down ramp. If you have either the controller or the puck you can set a similar schedule and use the acclimation feature to adjust.

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the 24 cube I ran max at 60% intensity at 8 above the water surface. 12 hour schedule with 3hrs up and down ramp. If you have either the controller or the puck you can set a similar schedule and use the acclimation feature to adjust.
Do did 60 max intensity With sps?

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew blue montipora digitata at the top of the rock work and green pavona crept up the side.

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was before I broke it down and did the new dual system.

59178B51-13EF-468C-9D9C-D926655EC79D.jpeg

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral will adapt to just about any lighting if you take your time and make adjustments over the long haul.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know we’re talking about the new kessil light here but since you’ve referenced the a360x many times and it happens to be the lights I run @8” above the water I might add,
What is the optimal intensity for A360x?? (I believe you said the optimal color settings are identical) I’m working on a mixed reef with sps up top/upper center and lps on the bottom half

The intensity depends on your goals for your tank. I give the A360X the full rundown in this video.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So @BRS is there any benefit to upgrade to the AP9X over my two 360x's currently? I'm having a very hard time justifying the purchase.

Tac302000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, first post!

@BRS, my question is along the same lines as Scorpius' except I've already ordered the AP9X from you guys (I think I probably made the first purchase). I thought it would work for my 120 gal mixed reef build based on Kessils' claim that one unit would be adequate for a 48x24x24 mixed reef. Needless to say I now have some buyers remorse after watching your rundown on the AP9X. A second unit is out of my budget. Would I have been better off going with a pair of 360x's? Thanks in advance!

Scott

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
Hi everyone, first post!

@BRS, my question is along the same lines as Scorpius' except I've already ordered the AP9X from you guys (I think I probably made the first purchase). I thought it would work for my 120 gal mixed reef build based on Kessils' claim that one unit would be adequate for a 48x24x24 mixed reef. Needless to say I now have some buyers remorse after watching your rundown on the AP9X. A second unit is out of my budget. Would I have been better off going with a pair of 360x's? Thanks in advance!

Scott

Welcome to R2R.

No need for buyers remorse. I'll let Randy reply but the light is in essence two a360x's modified with a different LED array and lens based on his earlier reply to one of my questions. Also if you notice they are not running the array at full power. It wasn't until SPS mode did they run it at 55%. You still have room is what I'm saying.

They have pretty good coverage when you look at the single unit.

Tac302000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, thanks for the information! I was also under the impression that the light was basically two 360x's with some optimization. Randy seemed pretty set on the need for a pair of the lights over a 48" tank though. Hopefully he will clear things up for me, one way or the other. I'm sure I'm not the only one planning to use an AP9X over a 48" tank. Thanks again for the reply!

Last edited:

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of questions... Have they improved the software of the AP9X over the temperamental and buggy AP700 software? As I recall, you guys switched from the AP700s to A360Ws because of the inflexibility of the AP700 software on the BRS160. Also, does the AP9X have smooth transition ramping like the 360s and 160s, rather than the stepped ramping of the AP700? As a former AP700 owner, I thought the hardware was amazing, but the software left much to be desired. If they rectified these issues that plagued the AP700, I may consider getting back into LEDs with the AP9X.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of questions... Have they improved the software of the AP9X over the temperamental and buggy AP700 software? As I recall, you guys switched from the AP700s to A360Ws because of the inflexibility of the AP700 software on the BRS160. Also, does the AP9X have smooth transition ramping like the 360s and 160s, rather than the stepped ramping of the AP700? As a former AP700 owner, I thought the hardware was amazing, but the software left much to be desired. If they rectified these issues that plagued the AP700, I may consider getting back into LEDs with the AP9X.
The AP9X uses the same app as the Kessil WiFi dongle. Totally different than the AP700. You can also connect a spectral controller X to the light if you prefer wired control.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 76 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back