Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Luis Figueroa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The recommendation right now is 14 days. I've noticed an increase in cyano. Many of my corals seem to be showing much better colors in both tanks.
Hahahaha I currently have cyano in my tank!!! Guess I'll wait to add some chemiclean after the 2 weeks Mark plus some 10 gallon wc

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahahaha I currently have cyano in my tank!!! Guess I'll wait to add some chemiclean after the 2 weeks Mark plus some 10 gallon wc
I just completed treatment with chemiclean in my tank for cyanobacteria and I have zero atm, so I'm wondering if it will show up after this treatment

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He also mentioned other anti fungus medications in the zole family, which I've read up on, that possibly could be/ could have been used as well. What's your thoughts on that?

Good question. I don't know one way or the other for sure, but I suspect that fluconazole might be the most "friendly" out of the Triazoles and that's the reason it's so widely used. It sounded from what I've read so far like most of the rest of the Azole variants were much more toxic and much less effective, often causing disease resistance. Definitely more reading to be done though! :)

bios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Stevo fluconazole act on cytochrome cp 450 and its action is involved in electrons transport
This probably should act also on those algae
And must be used only when there is an outbreak of them
But since now never try to use it will do and make you know

Ssindt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@stevo01

My vet got me pill form not capsules. Have you seen thing saying these are less safe and or less effective, it's $.27 a pill from them.

Can anyone help me with this question?

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question. I don't know one way or the other for sure, but I suspect that fluconazole might be the most "friendly" out of the Triazoles and that's the reason it's so widely used. It sounded from what I've read so far like most of the rest of the Azole variants were much more toxic and much less effective, often causing disease resistance. Definitely more reading to be done though! :)
That's what I've found so far to be the case from everything I've read so far. I'll have to keep reading up as well. Trying to learn as much as possible and understand as much as possible about this new method of treatment.

Ssindt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I'm going to try it, I'm about to restart anyway so mine as well experiment with my frag system. I had them grind them up to fine powder. I'll keep you posted.

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@stevo01

My vet got me pill form not capsules. Have you seen thing saying these are less safe and or less effective, it's $.27 a pill from them.

I don't believe there's an answer to that yet. The reason being because it is unsure what they use as a binding agent with the pill form.

I could be totally wrong but I'm 90% sure that's what was mentioned and I don't recall seeing anything further than people saying they don't know the binding agent.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@stevo01

As mentioned in previous posts there are several members here that could only get the pill form. I have no idea how well it will be effective or how the inactive ingedients will interact with tank life. If I were to try this method I would use a motor and pestle and get the medication as fine as possible. Not sure if there is a way to remove the wax coating safely and effectively.

There is already a best practice that has developed. The best practice involves the medication in capsule form. If pill form works just as well the best practice will accept that too.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo, after @twilliard completes his tests, all user data is complied, and research on the medication and its interactions with specific algae's and all the other organisms in our tanks. At that point a solid article can be written, but not before. It may take a couple YEARS. So until then we are all in experimental mode, and nothing is certain other than the obvious.

Fluconazole kills Bryopsis

Still just my opinion, but I think the only way this thread can be topped is with this completed article. Until then this is the thread we should all be posting our findings in. Im concluding my Bryopsis Vs Man thread with a simple link to this thread. In hopes that anyone that does a searche for treating Bry with Mg, LiCl, and Vibrant will be directed here. The solution.

Its early in the morning for me hope this makes sense later. Hahaha!

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you google fluconazol for fish Thomas Labs sells it in tablet form. The bottle has a pic of a fw betta on it. I called them and could not get any info if safe for reefs but makes me more confident that it would be.

EPo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok received my fluconazole. I would like to do a wc before 14 day treatment, so I have to wait until Friday to start. I have tried to keep up with this thread as best as I can, but I have a few questions. I have a 125gal system, so 12.5 pills? I am also running carbon in a bag, I should remove that for the 14 days? What about a gfo reactor? What about a UV sterilizer? Below are a couple of picture I will try to update during treatment. I also have a weird algae pest. I don't know what this is as my lfs can't identify it. If someone on this thread knows what kind of algae this is and a way to get rid of it, please let me know cause it's driving me crazy. I will see if the fluconazole has any affect. It's purple and is so embedded in the coralline algae the only way to get it out is to cut it out with frag clippers. And it multiplies when I try to remove it.

IMG_1936.JPG

IMG_3657.JPG

IMG_7789.JPG

IMG_3366.JPG

IMG_7600.JPG

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok received my fluconazole. I would like to do a wc before 14 day treatment, so I have to wait until Friday to start. I have tried to keep up with this thread as best as I can, but I have a few questions. I have a 125gal system, so 12.5 pills? I am also running carbon in a bag, I should remove that for the 14 days? What about a gfo reactor? What about a UV sterilizer? Below are a couple of picture I will try to update during treatment. I also have a weird algae pest. I don't know what this is as my lfs can't identify it. If someone on this thread knows what kind of algae this is and a way to get rid of it, please let me know cause it's driving me crazy. I will see if the fluconazole has any affect. It's purple and is so embedded in the coralline algae the only way to get it out is to cut it out with frag clippers. And it multiplies when I try to remove it.

IMG_1936.JPG

IMG_3657.JPG

IMG_7789.JPG

IMG_3366.JPG

IMG_7600.JPG
Correct 12.5 capsules. I would go with 12 or 13 just to make it simple. Remove your carbon bag for the entire treatment and I would turn off your UV sterilizer as well.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 19 15.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 83 68.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.1%
Back