Bubble algae

rirun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I resorted to treating my entire tank with Flux Rx (fluconazole). The recommended dose is for bryopsis. The dose that works for Valonia is 4x the bryopsis dose, and it is slow. But it works. I understand that it is an antifungal agent that works against an enzyme that is necessary for cell wall synthesis (which micro and macroalgae also need). It causes an arrest of fungal cell growth and, presumably, also causes an arrest of micro/macroalgae cell growth. I believe it is also most effective under bright lights, not bubbles that are hiding in the shadows--I speculate that it has to do with the faster build-up of the molecules that the normally functioning enzymes convert for cell wall synthesis--these molecules are meant to compromise fungal cell wall structures when not converted, so under high light where Valonia would normally grow, it becomes toxic. This is speculation only.

I have noticed that none of my corals or nems (which don't have cell walls because they are animals) or any fish or other inverts (which don't have cell walls either) were negatively effected to the point of death. I did notice a slight change of color in one of my RFAs that returned after ending treatment, but the RFA remained healthy by all appearances. A montipora digitata also seemed to stall in growth during the 6 week treatment. My macroalgae was toast (they have cell walls).

Coraline algae grew at an advanced pace while the bubble algae was dying away, so I assume it was unaffected by the Flux.

Additional notes:
1. I made sure to add an airstone in the AIO chamber to keep oxygen levels up in case there was an adverse effect on oxygenation.
2. I also regularly dosed "beneficial" bacteria in case there was new "real estate" left behind by the dying Valonia for other baddies like Dinos to establish themselves. PNS Probio to be specific.
3. I have ocean live rock in the tank, and I think that helps in many unknown ways.
4. Now I have a few bubbles that appear occasionally that I am staying on top of by manual removal and sucking out with pipette every few days. Like 1-10 bubbles at a time. I assume these are the ones that escaped treatment in the shadows and are looking for new real estate. It's much more manageable than before, knock on wood.

That's my experience. Happy to help if you choose the nuclear option.
Hey @JoJosReef - Did you ramp the dosage or went straight to 4X recommended?

Thanks

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my tank I went with a one spot foxface rabbitfish, absolutely demolished the stuff. I think I got lucky though, not all of them do this from what I understand.
Mine loves it! I had a bunch in a frag tank and would harvest it and feed to my ff - he ate so much so fast you could see the outline of the bubbles in his tummy, lol!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’ve done that and they always come back
Yes, you'll need to address the root cause or any algae will keep coming back... manual removal lets you get it to a manageable level while you correct other things. Running a fuge on an opposite light cycle is the easiest option... you could even grow the bubble algae in it :)

OP
OP
J

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine loves it! I had a bunch in a frag tank and would harvest it and feed to my ff - he ate so much so fast you could see the outline of the bubbles in his tummy, lol!
would i be able to put a small ff in my tank to manage the bubble algae while I figure out the root cause and then rehome once too big?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would i be able to put a small ff in my tank to manage the bubble algae while I figure out the root cause and then rehome once too big?
I would not recommend this. The really small foxfaces have a much higher mortality rate (in our tanks) and I'm not positive that young ones will eat bubble algae... it may be too big for their mouths.

OP
OP
J

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you'll need to address the root cause or any algae will keep coming back... manual removal lets you get it to a manageable level while you correct other things. Running a fuge on an opposite light cycle is the easiest option... you could even grow the bubble algae in it :)
Ive seen some hang on back refugium would this work? my back sump area doesn't have room for anything else really ive already got a protein skimmer in there

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen some hang on back refugium would this work? my back sump area doesn't have room for anything else really ive already got a protein skimmer in there
I've had macro growing in an acclimation box inside the tank, lol. I think any natural nutrient export is going to help. A hob fuge can be a great tool.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
Ramped 33% of full dose over three days to monitor and water change if necessary. 6 weeks started from Day 3. Will go straight to 4x if I do it again--hopefully no need.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my tank I went with a one spot foxface rabbitfish, absolutely demolished the stuff. I think I got lucky though, not all of them do this from what I understand.
I will say foxface is hit or miss. when I first added mine he went to town on the bubble algae, but now he is fat and content eating frozen. I am seeing my infestation pop back up again

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
I did a full 4x treatment in my 25g lagoon and had no issues with fish or corals and now about 4 weeks later its all gone with just one dose. I have another bottle just in case it ever comes back.

OP
OP
J

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a full 4x treatment in my 25g lagoon and had no issues with fish or corals and now about 4 weeks later its all gone with just one dose. I have another bottle just in case it ever comes back.
is it a powder? im looking online and thats what i see when i search flux rx

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
is it a powder? im looking online and thats what i see when i search flux rx
Yes, it is. If you go that route, get Blue Vet Flux Rx for algae (they make one for fish as an antibiotic as well) and that supposedly has better results than the Reef Flux Hd.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used both Flux Rx (for Valonia) and Flux HD (for bryopsis a long time ago). I had issues eith neither of them but I prefer the Flux Rx. @Eric Cohen was very helpful in advising how to use it. I'm now using Flux Rx in my new frag tank for clearing some carryover Valonia and then will be using it on a "maintenance schedule".

rahger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took my rock out and dowsed it in hydrogen peroxide. First round took about 90% of it, 2nd round took the last 9.9-10%, I then ordered emeralds from WWC and they took care of the few that were left. It's been 8 months and the emeralds keep them at bay.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back