Bubble algae

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald crab took care of my bubble algea problems. Every once in a while I'll see a bubble somewhere remote in the tank and think, "this guy will never find it". To my surprise he ashtrays dies.
Same here, had plenty of emerald Crabs to start, some died,,some got too big for tank, eventually had 0 Emerald Crabs, fast Forward to about 1.5 months ago, found a few bubble algae, got 5 Emerald Crabs, no more Bubble algae...and they have never bothered coral in my 40B.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the best results with manual removal. Of all the algae I've dealt with, bubble algae was the easiest to remove manually. Turn pumps off, scrap it free, then use a net to catch it. I use a small screwdriver to scrap it free. In my tank it seems to come and go in waves, haven't been able to pin down what exactly causes it to bloom. My tank is a 40 gallon AIO.

Lagoon reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can also say pitho crabs are great! I added 5 to my System and they’re going to town on it! They’re pretty slow and only come out at night, but I haven’t seen them pick on any corals. My outbreak is probably 50% less now and I haven’t done any manual removal at all! Here’s a video I snapped of them at night!

OP
OP
J

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A double dose of reef flux fluconazole stopped the bubble algae from growing. This allowed me to catch up on manual removals. Previously, I would remove a filter sock full of bubble algae over the weekend only to have it grow back in a few days. Nutrients have skyrocketed but the corals are looking happy as can be.

I've tried algaefix only to have it crash my phosphate and give me my first dinos outbreak.
How long was your treatment? I just started mine and i know it says wait 14 days for results but did you have to dose more than once?
I resorted to treating my entire tank with Flux Rx (fluconazole). The recommended dose is for bryopsis. The dose that works for Valonia is 4x the bryopsis dose, and it is slow. But it works. I understand that it is an antifungal agent that works against an enzyme that is necessary for cell wall synthesis (which micro and macroalgae also need). It causes an arrest of fungal cell growth and, presumably, also causes an arrest of micro/macroalgae cell growth. I believe it is also most effective under bright lights, not bubbles that are hiding in the shadows--I speculate that it has to do with the faster build-up of the molecules that the normally functioning enzymes convert for cell wall synthesis--these molecules are meant to compromise fungal cell wall structures when not converted, so under high light where Valonia would normally grow, it becomes toxic. This is speculation only.

I have noticed that none of my corals or nems (which don't have cell walls because they are animals) or any fish or other inverts (which don't have cell walls either) were negatively effected to the point of death. I did notice a slight change of color in one of my RFAs that returned after ending treatment, but the RFA remained healthy by all appearances. A montipora digitata also seemed to stall in growth during the 6 week treatment. My macroalgae was toast (they have cell walls).

Coraline algae grew at an advanced pace while the bubble algae was dying away, so I assume it was unaffected by the Flux.

Additional notes:
1. I made sure to add an airstone in the AIO chamber to keep oxygen levels up in case there was an adverse effect on oxygenation.
2. I also regularly dosed "beneficial" bacteria in case there was new "real estate" left behind by the dying Valonia for other baddies like Dinos to establish themselves. PNS Probio to be specific.
3. I have ocean live rock in the tank, and I think that helps in many unknown ways.
4. Now I have a few bubbles that appear occasionally that I am staying on top of by manual removal and sucking out with pipette every few days. Like 1-10 bubbles at a time. I assume these are the ones that escaped treatment in the shadows and are looking for new real estate. It's much more manageable than before, knock on wood.

That's my experience. Happy to help if you choose the nuclear option.
How long was your treatment? I just started mine and i know it says wait 14 days for results but did you have to dose more than once?

OP
OP
J

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 4x dose and most everything was gone in 2-3 weeks. I have started seeing some come back recently though. Ill do another 4x dose and hopefully get it all this time.
Thank you, best of luck to you!

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did a 4x dose and most everything was gone in 2-3 weeks. I have started seeing some come back recently though. Ill do another 4x dose and hopefully get it all this time.
Mine was disappearing around 2-3 weeks also. No need to dose more, but after 4 weeks I did a sizeable water change (planned after 3, but delayed), and I added an equivalent amount of flucanozole back in to replace what was removed (+20% to account for error/"used up" Flux). After 6-7 weeks, rocks were clean.

I am seeing it coming back a little, but I've been on top of it. I think it's hard to get 100% eradicated because some bubbles are hanging out in areas of low/no light, and Flux works best under strong light.

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sad to report that I did a 4x dose of reef flux and my bubble algae is returning with a vengence. I totally thought it was the cure because after a 7 week treatment in my 80g I had zero bubble algae in site. I also have 4 emerald crabs in there that seem to pick at it but I must have some kind of mutant bubble algae because it grows at an alarming rate. My thought was reef flux it and let the crabs maintain but that is not working out. My bubble algae is not easy to pick off the rocks at all. It is anchored in so good the only way would be to pinch it with finger nails and muscle it out.

I think I am going to try pitho crabs next. If that doesn't work I am just going to nuke the tank in algae fix because I am running out of options. How long did any of you notice bubble algae return that have tried vibrant, algaefix, or razor??

Another bonus is I have crazy aiptaisia now too. Bought some bergia nudis. Acclimated them and watched them go into rock crevice's. It's been 2 weeks and I think my emerald crabs ate them :grinning-face-with-sweat:.

Here is the latest pic of the post reef flux bubble algae mixed in with some beautiful nems. This is just the beginning (again). Sorry for the long spiel
20231016_221854.jpg

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sad to report that I did a 4x dose of reef flux and my bubble algae is returning with a vengence. I totally thought it was the cure because after a 7 week treatment in my 80g I had zero bubble algae in site. I also have 4 emerald crabs in there that seem to pick at it but I must have some kind of mutant bubble algae because it grows at an alarming rate. My thought was reef flux it and let the crabs maintain but that is not working out. My bubble algae is not easy to pick off the rocks at all. It is anchored in so good the only way would be to pinch it with finger nails and muscle it out.

I think I am going to try pitho crabs next. If that doesn't work I am just going to nuke the tank in algae fix because I am running out of options. How long did any of you notice bubble algae return that have tried vibrant, algaefix, or razor??

Another bonus is I have crazy aiptaisia now too. Bought some bergia nudis. Acclimated them and watched them go into rock crevice's. It's been 2 weeks and I think my emerald crabs ate them :grinning-face-with-sweat:.

Here is the latest pic of the post reef flux bubble algae mixed in with some beautiful nems. This is just the beginning (again). Sorry for the long spiel
20231016_221854.jpg
Sorry to hear that- it can be soul destroying sometimes.

I've used algae fix - yes it sometimes re-appears but I just hit it again.
Algaefix has never caused me any problems with Corals or Inverts

I don't have problems in the bigger tank with a Foxface and Scopus tang as they just eat it, but the Nano has caused me a lot of stress over time with re-appearing bubble age and also bryopsis.

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting to hear tuxedo urchins being a good option?

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned the hardway, the more you put in to try to clean up your nuance stuff, the more that can die, and cause even more nuance stuff, taking you back to start, or sometimes even 2 steps back to where you started from.

Best is to fix what is causing it, and then slowly add something if you think you lost and have no retreat back.

But i have had hair algae, and bubble algae... manual removal, and adding some chaeto, has pretty much started its slow reverse cycle. Its a very slow battle, one of attrition on the ugly algae, but eventually i see myself winning, because i didn't add much, but instead fixed what needed to be fixed.

rahger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea how people say manual removal works. My bubble algae was so close to the rock work and dense I had to literally take all my rock out and gouge it off with a screwdriver to even make a scratch in it. I gave up and used peroxide which did all the work for me.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey everyone, i’ve been battling bubble algae the past few months and cannot get rid of it to save my life. i’m willing to try just ab anything right now. does anyone have any ideas or anything for getting rid of bubble algae? would a few day blackout work? any ideas are welcome
I have not found anything that eradicate them. I just syphon them out with water changes when they get unsightly. At least they aren't stinging or toxic.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back