Bubble Tip Anemone deflates multiple times throughout the day

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a BTA a month ago. It’s been doing pretty well and I’ve fed it a couple times since then. However, it’s been doing this since i got it. Where it will deflate fully and look like it’s dying but be fine an hour later. The only thing i can think of is that the lighting might be too bright as the store i got it from had it under dim lighting. Thing is, I acclimated the lighting for 2 weeks. Going from 30% up to 100% on my Kessil a360we.

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine. Mine goes from small to large all the time. Anything bothering it? Shrimp, Fish etc. ?

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a green BTA doing the same thing only mine has been hiding under a rock since I got him (2 weeks). I also purchased a Sherman Rose BTA and that one looks amazing everyday right in the center of my tank.

the green one shrivels up to the point of looking dead with its mouth open and then the next day is fine??? I’m hoping it will eventually move out to the open!

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multiple times a day is not common IME. I've lost some wild BTAs, and in retrospect, I would have treated them with antibiotics.

But let's see what others have to say about it as I have more experience with carpet Anemones

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've had it for over a month, that should be enough time for it to have acclimated to your tank -- including lighting and water parameters.

Do you feed your tank a lot? Is it possible that your BTA is catching food as it flows by? If so, the deflation could be normal behavior. My BTAs deflate to expel waste, then quickly inflate again.

That said, having it deflate multiple times a day doesn't feel right. Are you able to share photos?

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 87 42.2%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 101 49.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.4%
Back