Budget DIY LED Stunner strips / Moonlight

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All, here is an inexpensive and relatively simple DIY project to add a LED Stunner Strip or Moonlights for your Reeftank.

As a Stunner Strip

I started out with a $15 automotive LED Light Effect pkg from Auto-Zone already equipped with lenses and basically water resistant. For my use I ended up cutting the wire and shortening distance in between using wire connectors and heat shrink tube to finish. If this were for a Moonlight application then the full 12-14" would be ideal. For a power supply I used an old Braun razer charging cord rated at 6v as what I had but would work with any wall-warts from 3.5 - 12v.

I then attached them to some salvaged T5 reflectors with the supplied double-back foam tape supplied in package. You could easily attach to inside of canopy or underside of most any light fixture with same foam tape.

Tested my wiring connections

Before doing both sets this pic shows unaltered string along with the one I cut down in length.

As an actinic supplement to T5's to keep Coral frags colored up in my QT

Just the LED's on above QT

I put these spread out over my 125g to see how they would look.... awesome as a Moonlighting..... forgot to take pic though

Cheers, Todd

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back