Budman’s 40g Innovative Marine Build!

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! Ive been reefing since i was 14 years old. 15 years later i think im ready to fully embrace what ive learned and i feel like i now have a grasp on the hobby. My last build 6 years ago was going well until dinos took off and then we proceeded to lose power for 4 days from a massive snowstorm. Apparently tropical fish dont do well in those conditions .

I plan on getting a 40g aio IM cube and setting it up over the next several months. Stocking list undecided but am thinking about getting a breeding pair of pygmy filefish. Will mostly be sps and maybe some gorgonians or macro algae.

Price wise the IM seemed like the best deal for me. Was also really looking at the 35.2 waterbox but those are sold out until May. So IM it is. Like the aluminum stand and the fact it comes with a lid too. Will be picking up tomorrow from my LFS, feels like christmas!

OP
OP
Budman93

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had some dry rock that has been outside at my dads for years. Will need to scrub off the organics and cure so its safe to use.

Ive already been aquascaping it a bit. Pukani is impressive with just how easy it is to stack. This is what ive come up with so far. I like this because it has overhangs, cavs, and arches for inverts and fish to hide. Thinking about removing the rocks on the right of the first pic and just having an open seabed with maybe some plants or taller corals to fill in that space. Still a work in progress!

Attachments

• 46881FA1-9E5B-4E55-BBAD-CDC06AEDF74E.jpeg
    46881FA1-9E5B-4E55-BBAD-CDC06AEDF74E.jpeg
    292.4 KB · Views: 61
  • DE6F587B-25BC-4989-9187-4E037E0394D6.jpeg
    DE6F587B-25BC-4989-9187-4E037E0394D6.jpeg
    236.3 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
Budman93

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After two weeks of figuring out how to plumb the rodi in my condo we have water!!

Attachments

• 0FC7050C-8AFF-4B26-8C6F-E68A21DEC918.jpeg
    0FC7050C-8AFF-4B26-8C6F-E68A21DEC918.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 59
  • 94A8DCCB-549A-4788-978A-BC77686210AB.jpeg
    94A8DCCB-549A-4788-978A-BC77686210AB.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
Budman93

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All filled up and AI Prime installed! Very impressed by it so far. It's borderline whether I need 1 or 2 for this tank but I think I will roll with one. Been a lot of work to get to this point but I am finally cycling. Using a piece of frozen shrimp and Fritz turbostart. Will monitor and record levels each day!

- Sand and wavemaker level are a work in progress. Levelled out and added another 10lb bag after that video. Want to have a good amount since I am getting a Conch and a pistol shrimp. Speaking of the wavemaker Should have researched more as the controller compatible with phones seems to have been discontinued recently so it is going to be hard to find one to purchase.

- One negative I will say about the IM AIO's is that there isnt a ton of room length wise in the back. I currently have to stick my heater in the display tank as it doesnt really fit in any of the chambers back there...It might when I eventually remove the filter sock.

- Clean up crew saved on reefcleaners and ready to order whenever my cycle ends and algae pops up. Going with 4 trochus, 5 nassarius, 25 dwarf cerith, 1 tiger conch. Also picking up some pods, a randalls shrimp and feather duster. Figured I'd save on shipping that way. May have to supplement for awhile until I add some fish but I think this list will be fine. Decided to go crabless as I dont want to bother with them eating my snails.

Attachments

• IMG_6420.mov
    1.4 MB
OP
OP
Budman93

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always hated the color tests. But was wondering if anyone would agree with my readings. Looks to be .5 ammonia and 1.00 nitrite?

Exciting regardless my cycle is well underway :)

97854752-ACFE-4C04-B6BE-29FA8F82FEB8.jpeg

OP
OP
Budman93

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree and then I would recommend investing in a quality test kit.
Thanks for the confirmation, and i agree hanna checkers would be better. Figured i could skimp and go cheap on amm and nitrite since i wont be testing them as much after cycle.

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you've been doing your homework. Looks great :cool:
For me, I would not invest extra $ in test kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. once you cycle you won't use them unless you're making big changes (well maybe nitrate...)
Hanna's most reliable IMHO is Alk I wouldn't buy anything else from them.
I was out for 25 years and have been back at it for 2 so grain of salt :)

OP
OP
Budman93

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you've been doing your homework. Looks great :cool:
For me, I would not invest extra $ in test kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. once you cycle you won't use them unless you're making big changes (well maybe nitrate...)
Hanna's most reliable IMHO is Alk I wouldn't buy anything else from them.
I was out for 25 years and have been back at it for 2 so grain of salt :)
Thanks yeah that is what i figured. A proper cycle and ideally i wont have to worry about amm and nitrite much anymore. And yeah I actually got a phosphate and alk hanna checkers second hand from a reef2reefer a few weeks ago. Funny enough im more worried about nutrients bottoming out than excess waste. Learned first hand what dinoflagelletes were 6 years ago and dont want to ever experience that again.:confounded-face:

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve got the same tank and I agree on the space in the back. I’ve got an ATK coming that I hope I can squeeze in there along with a probe holder, the 9004 skimmer and just one media basket or filter sock (I alternate).

I’m building a new stand for mine as well as the one that came with it is just 4x4’s and 2x4’s with no outer closure.

OP
OP
Budman93

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got the same tank and I agree on the space in the back. I’ve got an ATK coming that I hope I can squeeze in there along with a probe holder, the 9004 skimmer and just one media basket or filter sock (I alternate).

I’m building a new stand for mine as well as the one that came with it is just 4x4’s and 2x4’s with no outer closure.
ATK V2? I will end up getting one too once the tax returns hit lol. Thinking about removing the filtersock all together and getting something custom for that space. Also noticed the IM helio heaters just came back in stock which are smaller than typical Eheim heaters and might fit in a back chamber.

OP
OP
Budman93

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting there!! I promise eventually i will have more exciting updates LOL. On day 5 of my cycle now. Id guess another week and it should be ready for fish.

On the equipment front i ordered the helio heater which should fit in the back chamber out of sight since its much smaller. Also picked up an ato that i can install next week. If anyone knows a good cheap plastic resevoir let me know. Thought home depot would have something but didnt find anything. Could use a bucket but would rather something that would fit better in the stand

DCA4E6B6-B22D-4B2F-84EF-1DDCA945611A.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Budman93

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
04/21/23: Still waiting for those dang nitrites to drop. To be honest they probably already have I just cant make heads or tails of the different shades of purple. Slow and steady wins the race though. Nitrates showing about 20ppm so I think they are starting to decline. Also, Diatoms finally made an appearance yesterday which was exciting to see funnily enough. To me that means my cycle is moving along and hopefully is on the back 9.

- Received my IM 200W helio in the mail yesterday and it's a beast. Blows the Eheim out of the water but I suppose thats what you get for 4x the price. My controllers are starting to pile up. Next task will be to organize those somehow in the top shelf. Limited room so I will have to be creative.

- Really enjoying my AI PRIMEHD however I am debating getting another one to eliminate shadows. Don't get me wrong, I love the dimensions of the tank, it is just kind of an awkward size lighting wise. Kind of between just needing one or two of the puck style lights.

OP
OP
Budman93

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
04/23/23: Found an amazing new lfs. “Love of reef” in Wilmington MA. Have everything you could want. Tons of corals and fish and all the dry goods you would ever want. Left with a new friend. Was sold to us as a ‘pink smith damselfish’. Super active and healthy looking. Ours seems more colorful than some of the other pictures online. Weary of damsel aggression but ill take it as it comes. For now he will be a fine first addition.

Attachments

• 0933AC92-ED8A-45C6-ABD5-15C621253D6A.jpeg
    0933AC92-ED8A-45C6-ABD5-15C621253D6A.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
Budman93

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a long time without an update. but I feel like it's important to keep up on. I purchased a Tailspot Blenny last week! Him and the damselfish get along fine. The damsel really just doesnt want anything in the cave where she sleeps but other than that they have zero problems. I also purchased several corals which are all doing well. Gorgonian, GSP, and some kind of hard skeleton coral that is always sending sweeper tentacles out. It's cool but I think I am going to relocate in the tank. Check out below. Maybe you can help me identify.

Attachments

• IMG_6531.mov
    4.2 MB
  • IMG_6538.mov
    3 MB
OP
OP
Budman93

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who is hyper aware about them now I may have noticed dinos starting to appear yesterday. Time and time again I never have a problem with my water being too dirty it is always over filtration. The IM came with gfo/carbon and I added a skimmer. I shut the skimmer off after noticing my mushroom start to look ticked. 2 days later it started opening back up but now there are some specs of dark brown around the tank that I fear is dinos. I will be removing all filtration when I get home and running it dirty for a few days. Hopefully still early enough that I can eliminate it before it overtakes the tank.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, exciting build! Will be following along.

Secondly, this thread and the replies to this post might be really helpful. I've found that searching for answers regarding dinos or cyano leads you to a ton of different opinions and solutions. At the end of the day, everyone agrees it's an ecosystem imbalance and the problem algae/bacteria has the upper hand over "healthier" competitors.

OP
OP
Budman93

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, exciting build! Will be following along.

Secondly, this thread and the replies to this post might be really helpful. I've found that searching for answers regarding dinos or cyano leads you to a ton of different opinions and solutions. At the end of the day, everyone agrees it's an ecosystem imbalance and the problem algae/bacteria has the upper hand over "healthier" competitors.
Thank you for sharing this. That color might match what i noticed specks of on my rocks the other day. I will follow up with a picture. With the rate at which these nuisance algaes spread I'm sure when I get home it will be more noticeable for a picture. I would actually hope it is this besides dinoflagelletes. Will also increase airation in my tank and run a full round of tests.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back