OP
OP
TTTony

TTTony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, not sure if I like these two front doors, might remake in solid brown walnut

image.jpeg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it. Then you know when you look at it, it not manufactured and some that know wood will also know this was custom made.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also really like how you did the fluting in the columns.

MikeyinTX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the walnut!

Even with a clear coat, I would recommend "staining" the wood with a natural stain or wood conditioner prior to sealing and finishing the stand. The reason for this is that the stain/conditioner will fill the pores of the wood prior to being sealed. This will allow your finish to create a flatter seal coat on the wood providing a better initial seal of the walnut. The following finishing coats will bond with the initial seal coat and create a strong finish that will last longer.
We have finished all of our natural finish jobs this way for years, and the protective finish lasts much longer when adding this simple step. (That's a lot of "finishes".)

I'm starting to plan for building my own stand... my current one has a lot of damage from salt creep and moister on the inside from the sump. Curious if anyone has tried like a "rubber" or some sort of waterproof coating on the inside?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to plan for building my own stand... my current one has a lot of damage from salt creep and moister on the inside from the sump. Curious if anyone has tried like a "rubber" or some sort of waterproof coating on the inside?
I used Kilz water sealer and numerous coats of enamel paint on the inside of mine. Then I used silicone caulk to seal all the seams.

RDA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely beautiful! I'd love to be able to make something like this one day. I'm always jealous to see what others can build.

I'm getting ready to build a stand for my new tank, but it's going to be more of a skeleton stand rather than the more finished look like that. Hopefully it comes out alright.

OP
OP
TTTony

TTTony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely beautiful! I'd love to be able to make something like this one day. I'm always jealous to see what others can build.

I'm getting ready to build a stand for my new tank, but it's going to be more of a skeleton stand rather than the more finished look like that. Hopefully it comes out alright.
You can always ask for advice or you tube it, if you can make a skeleton stand, you can skin it in nice plywood and perhaps add some trim, them look for doors online

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job on the finish - oil and then spray lacquer? Walnut is too beautiful by itself to put any stain on, glad you left it natural!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back